close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Olentangy Report 09_21_2008 -Worst Day of the year

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by danjaquino, Sep 22, 2008.

1. danjaquino

danjaquino WHODAMAN

Headed down to the olentangy with my friend Ryan. The action started great in the dark. Fish were hitting buzzbait and my friend lost a huge smallie. Ran him across a rock and the line cut. We did get to see him for a second and he was big. I ended up catching a really nice 16 incher that seemed to be blind in one eye. I tried just about everything, throwing buzzbait all the way up the stream and came back downstream using cranks, senko in rapids and spinnerbait. I managed to catch two off the spinnerbait and caught the biggest fish on the buzzbait. We saw two other guys up ahead of us, which probably made fishing even tougher for us. The water clarity was "very clear". Water level was "very, very low". It was a very slow day and we ended up with around 11. The day got worse as we headed down stream. We saw three young guys standing on shore with a bucket and some minnow buckets. I asked the one guy if they were OGF members and they said no. He said they have been slamminig the smallmouth in the river with monnows and usually go through 4 or 5 dozen minnows catching mostly smallones. I told him that we weren't doing very good and he said it was probably because of the high pressure system moving in. After we were done talking Ryan and I continued down stream. Then we heard all kinds of yelling and laughing, and one of the guys fising had a fish on. It was a small small mouth and the guy continued to yell, whoop and hollar everytime he had a fish on the line big or small.:mad: It appreared to me that they were keeping fish that were over limit. It made me mad the way the guy was acting yelling and screaming everytime he landed a fish. To top things off, they were keeping the smallies which was even worse. Oh well, it was just a bad day altogether. good luck to you all. I didn't catch anything on the crank bait, buzzbait did well near rapids.

2. Fall fishing can be on and it can be way off.
    I've never bought into the concept of high/low pressure as it pertains to RIVER fish. I think current and temerature are much more significant in factoring into fish behavior.
    We haven't realy been finding then in one particular pattern. About the best we've come up with the last week or so is any kind of wood, root balls, submerged wood in deep pools. Or at least that's where the better fish have been.
    Best advice I can give you is to try and find baitfish.
    The other would be to wait until we get some kind of bump on the gages. If you see ANY local flows jump up a couple hundred cfs, then throw that spinnerbait like it's your job.
    If you see the Scioto jump up to 300-400+ cfs in the next week or two, make sure you get in touch with me and I can point you to a spot that will blow your mind.

3. danjaquino

danjaquino WHODAMAN

andyman, what website do you use to view gauges/cfs?

4. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

I use this one:

http://water.usgs.gov/waterwatch/?m=real&r=oh

It is a lot prettier than the one Andy uses.

I haven't been finding fish in the moving water recently. I went down to a different flow this weekend and found kind of the same thing going on. Low clear water, fish are tight to wood structure. Tight. Find wood in deep (relative) water and put your bait right IN there.

5. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Worst day? 11 fish between 2 guys doesnt sound so bad? At least ya didn't get skunked.

I use the Waterwatch site as well. It's a must have tool for any river smallie chaser.

I spent yesterday in the woods hanging stands, pulling a muscle, getting poison ivy. Fun Stuff!!!

CG

6. danjaquino

danjaquino WHODAMAN

Worst day for me, I only caught 3. My buddy caught 8. We fished for 4 hours, so it was a little disappointing, but the 16 incher was really nice. I'll post a picture tonight if time permits.

Hey guys, thanks for the water flow websites!!!!

7. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

8. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

You might be getting spoiled if 11 is your worst day, the 2 guys in front of you probably had something to do with it. I dont recognize the picture????

9. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

I blew the pic up, now i see the spot, water is real low.

10. Does anyone have a number to report folks abusing the creel limits? I keep my local Chicago ones in my cell phone, but I don't have one for the Columbus Forest Preserves.

11. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

1-800-POACHER

Put it in your cell phone.