Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have caught a ton of smallmouth out of the olentangy but only in one small stretch. after pounding the scioto and Griggs hard for the past few weeks I decided to give the olentangy a run on new stretches. I have waded approximately 6 miles all on different entrances and have barely found any significant looking holes.. after each turn it looks as if the stretch gets better but it doesn't! same stuff over and over 6 inches of water with a maybe decent hole with 10" bass in it. on a mission to find a 2-3 foot hole with some pigs in it. just thought I'd share my frustration might have to go back to the scioto! haha

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Did you check that one place i told ya yet??? Has some good water and nice fish. There is one really deep small hole that is loaded. I told ya I hooked a small rockbass and let him swim near the edge and had 10 smallies following him no joke.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The water is exceedingly low right now, which makes the olentangy holes pretty much disappear. When the water gets up a bit more in early summer, that's the time to fish it. Not that you can't find good spots or lots of fish right now, but the ratio of holes to unfishable stretches drops drastically in these late summer/early fall weeks. That said, look for literally ANY boulder sticking out of the water. Even if you can see the river bottom all the way to within 6 inches of the rock, odds are good that fish are STACKED in that one little shadow. You're right about the size, but as far as numbers go I've had my best days smallie fishing when it's shallow on hot sunny days because the fish are all piled up and competing for any food they see. I'm talking 40-50 fish days on the tangy, so don't give up hope.

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,159 Posts
Tough time right now in the smaller rivers and creeks because of the water level; I've been skunked the last two nights, and I know that I can catch smallies. Also, be as stealthy as possible when approaching those holes bigticket mentions. If you can see them, they can see you...

I bought tickets to a movie tonight so that I wouldn't waste another evening in the creek...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Went out last night from 7 til dark, a little later than I like but I was waiting on a buddy. We caught maybe five each, but each got a real nice one in rapids that drop into a deeper hole, maybe 4-5 ft.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I found that place onthefly.. lost 2 GIANTS still kicking myself but I landed about 20-30 small bass in shallow water and a few decent ones inthe hole I lost those two hefty guys.. I at least had a chance to see the two ones I lost jump here's one decent guy ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378416408.833706.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
just be nice to my pets until i get aback ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts