Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Olentangy -Antrim?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ying6, Jan 7, 2005.

1. OK, if you were one of the guys who had the theory about the state record coming from the flooded Olentangy this is your time to get some pictures and show us all that it does spill into Antrim!
    staying dry
  2. I have a feeling there may also be some decent trout fishing in the Olentangy along that stretch for a while as well.;) I am not familiar with the area but are you implying that the lake and the river are one in the same right now?

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Looks like it is. The river is way over flood stage, well at least last night it was. Calling for more rain early next week so it looks like it will all start again.
  4. More than likely the trout head for where the spring is in the lake. It may very well dump some more LM & SM bass, carp, crappie, saugers and bluegills in there. I hope it dumps some rock bass in there. I have never caught one out of that lake.
    I plan on heading there Sunday morning about 8 am. If there is anything interesting I take some snap shots.
  5. I was at Atrim on Tuesday fishing there are still at least a couple of gold trout crusin around the banks
  6. Water definately flows into the lake through a drain pipe in the SE corner. Water flows into the lake when the river is very fast and high. As far as the trout going into the river, it may happen, but I doubt it. I have fished there for ten years and never seen or caught trout in that end. The water is shallow and has a mud bottom at that end. Also, the river gets extremely warm and slow during the summer months. This is exactly what the trout don't need to survive. Now, There may be some rouge trout hanging in some deep hole, but your going to fish a long time if your trying to catch one of them.
  7. Hey Guys, I'm new but I had to throw my 2 cents in.

My theory is that someone stuck that fish in there years ago. Antrim used to be a hidden lake before 315 and the park. It was a great bass lake. Few knew about it.

Considering the frequency of lowhead dams and such between Delaware and the park, I think it would be unlikely that saugeye would migrate that far. There are drainage pipes but don't think a saugeye would enter the lake in that manner. If so, then there would be a considerable number of smallmouth in the lake as well.

But then, I'm not a fish who really knows.
  8. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

That must have been a long time ago when the lake was hidden. I've been in Columbus for 20 years and that place hasn't changed a bit except for the crowds of people and the arrival of trout...I believe the next state record smallmouth is swimming around that lake! -Hooch-
  9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Thinking that a saugeye couldnt travel that far is silly. They spill out of those resavoirs and travel downstream like its their job. That is why you sometimes catch saugeye in the Ohio River.
  10. Quote<"There may be some rouge trout hanging in some deep hole, but your going to fish a long time if your trying to catch one of them.">

Which has better odds?
    Catching a record saugeye in Antrim or a trout in the Olentangy? :p

11. I think if you'll check, Saugeye are naturally occuring in the Ohio River. But hey..they could swim upstream.. you never know. :)
  12. I'm going back before 1977, all you had was Olentangy River Rd and a bunch of trees.

Dang...I just realized.. I'm depressing. :(
  13. There was one in there about 1980. My young nephew caught it. I have pictures somewhere to prove it.
  14. I believe you. It was six years between my catch of a black crappie and it's been two years since I've caught a smallmouth out of there. :(
    Remember when it was referred to as "lost lake" ;) I'm amazed at the number of "trails" that still run a long the river. As I remember the lake use to be much higher though.
  15. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

There are two lakes behind the JCC on college avenue that very flooded right now due to alum creek being 8 feet above normal. I have caught smallies, walleyes, saugeyes, gar, and have witnessed massive schools of shad in the lakes. The only way they got in there was from Alum Creek flooding. The Olentangy DOES get high enough to flood atrum, but doesnt do it as much due to Deleware Dam and an altered stream corridor. I do not know if the river has flooded Antrum after 1986 when they started stocking saugeyes, does anyone? It makes more sense that a fisherman dumped his catch into the lake in hopes to insert a small saugeye population. Oh, and naturally occuring saugeye are very rare, you can check me on that
  16. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I know people with ponds who never stocked them and they're full of fish. I know of one pond that got most of its' fish from Great Blue Herons dragging the eggs in on their feet. Ducks could do the same. Does this sound logical or should I shut up now?
  17. You are correct. That is how many ponds get fish in them. LM Bass and Bluegills are the primary two. Maybe because they spawn in shallower water?
  18. The bioligist at the odnr told me that the pipes that used to lead to antrim from the olentangy were closed off around ten years ago that may be why it doesnt seem as high as it used to. I took my kids to darby day last year to see them shock for fish and they got a saugeye although I never caught one out of darby there some in there. any ideas how that happened.
  19. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Im guessing it was a sauger. Could have been a saugeye becuase there are no dams.
  20. There is no true way to find out how it got into antrim without asking the fish himself, and that's not going to happen. :rolleyes: A couple of years ago while fishing for trout in antrim I seen fish being chased and seen a musky at least "40 chasing the trout around the lake. I tried everything I had in my bag but he just swam up to it and stared but didn't take it. :( As for strange fish they(ODNR) even say the white sturgeon is making a return to the ohio river. Closer to home, I even caught White Bass out of darby for about 2 weeks everyday. I must have caught over 500 in 2 weeks. That was about 10 years ago and haven't caught the first one since then in darby. But that doesn't mean that they aren't still running in there. Just a little to go on.