Olentangy 5th Ave lowhead event Sunday 12:00

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FOSR, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I was contacted by FLOW about an event planned at the lowhead. The removal project has been stalled lately because of funding problems but it may get moving again.

Removing this dam would drain the pool along 5th, King, and campus, and make it look more like the Olentangy in the area of Henderson Rd. Reasons for removal include water quality improvement (lose the stagnant pool) and an improved environment for wildlife - read, fish. It also removes a drowning hazard and obstacle to boating.

I dont have details yet but they asked us to have people there to show that there is local interest in removing this dam. So I bounce that request to you as the local fishing community, would some of you attend to show that the local fishing community has an interest in the completion of this project?

FLOW is Friends of the Lower Olentangy Watershed. Their website is here:

http://olentangywatershed.org/

2. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Fun fact. If the feds would have held up their end of the deal to fund the removal last year, a death due to the dam would have been prevented this spring. I think the funds were dependant upon congress' approval. Probably pork that got cut out....but important pork IMO.

3. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I am a little confused. What is this event? Is it a rally? Is it a fund raiser? What's the purpose of the event? I clicked the link and didn't see any information about it?

4. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

From their flyer:

Parking will be at the Battelle warehouse lot.

5. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

6. fishnwithjoe

fishnwithjoe Fishnwithjoe

Some say the 5th Avenue pool on the Olentangy is stagnant and without fish. This is the furthest thing from the truth. Those who say the most seem to know the least. It's alive with fish. Here is the proof. Fish it for yourself and you'll know what I say is true. I catch fish after fish all through the areas reported to be stagnant on high definition film. There are many that misrepresent the truth pushing for the removal of the dam. My Filming for a documentary on The Olentangy River is complete and shows tons of healthy largemouth and smallmouth bass in this section of River. The area above the 5th Avenue Dam on the Olentangy is one of the best largemouth bass fisheries in Central Ohio. Remove the Dam and it will be lost forever. If you want more proof you can look at more of my videos taken of huge smallmouth before the dams were removed on the Olentangy in Delaware on Youtube called Monster smallmouth at the Dam and Huge smallmouth at the bridge. Before the dam removal it was a vibrant fishery. Now I cant catch a fish in that area. There are tons of problems with removing the 5th Avenue Dam like all the sediment behind the dam that will wash right in to Downtown Columbus and pile up at the next Dam right in front of Cosi at Main Street and then the close to one dozen open pipes that dump contaminants in the River above 5th Avenue that will be a stinking mess when the water levels are lowered. As long as the Main Street and Greenlawn Dams are in place this area will never return to what it could be and no one seems to say anything about removing the Delaware Lake Dam which has the greatest impact of any dam on the Olentangy River.

Fishnwithjoe

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  7. crittergitter

FWJ,

Just because you catch a few fish in a spot doesnt make it a "healthy and vibrant fishery." Also, there is a HUGE difference between removing a "lowhead dam" and a "resevoir dam". Most credible biologists, environmentalist and naturalists will tell you that removing a lowhead dam is MUCH better for a river system. I agree that all the lowheads should be removed. I don't know if that is feasible, but they have to start somewhere. Stagnant water doesnt mean dead fish. I have no idea where you got that. It means lower dissolved oxygen levels. This is a scientific fact that is irreputable. If you had gills you could tell us if it is hard to breath or not in that water.
    I know lots of guys that catch nice smallies in Delaware on the Olentangy. You just gotta know where to go.

8. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

We know the pool is alive with fish, Joe. It is simply lacking diversity. It is pretty similar to fishing above greenlawn, if you can find the structure. I have caught an insane amount of nice bass and big crappie in both the Main St. and Greenlawn Pool. It is a decent lake fishery. The thing is, it isn’t a lake, nor should it be a lake fishery. Crittergitter got it right. We aren't doubting there are fish in there, but the quality of fish is lackluster. It doesn't even meet the EPA's Warm Water Stream criteria. The olentangy had even better fish in that pool, so I've heard, back in the 60's and 70's, when the pool was less silted in. Not much of a rebirth.

As far as there being huge smallmouth in those sections when the dams are in place...that is true everywhere...and more so in places where rivers are free flowing. You just can't drive a bass boat to them..

You are correct in saying that the Olentangy will not have the same original diversity it had during pre-Columbian times due to Greenlawn & Main Street dams. BUT, there are still species that only reside below 5th ave. that could begin expanding their range if the 'Pond' behind 5th is non-existent. There are sauger and flatheads below 5th ave, I have never heard of anyone catching those species recently up in Worthington. ALSO, there are very very threatened remnant populations of a few threatened darter species, only found upstream of 5th ave. The removal would undoubtedly help expand their range and populations.

As far as there being huge smallmouth in those sections when the dams are in place...that is true everywhere...and moreso in places where rivers are free flowing. You just can't drive a bassboat to them..

You are correct in saying that the Olentangy will not have the same original diversity it had during pre-columbian times due to Greenlawn & Main Street dams. BUT, there are still species that only reside below 5th ave. that could begin expanding their range if the 'Pond' behind 5th is non-existant. There are sauger and flatheads below 5th ave, I have never heard of anyone catching those species recently up in Worthington. ALSO, there are very very threatened remnant populations of a few threatened darter species, only found upstream of 5th ave. The removal would undoubtidly help expand their range and populations.

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Sorry for continuing the hijack!

10. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

I'd love to see it go, if ONLY to make campus stink a little less :) The fishing is a welcome bonus!

11. fishnwithjoe

Never even got the point. There are over a dozen pipes emptying into the Olentangy and you want to spend millions of taxpayer dollars to tear out the dam instead of stopping the pollution that is being emptied into the River. Thats why they canned the project. Anyone who has seen the sewage pipes going into the River knows what the problem is. Want to clean up the river its simple stop the sewage from going into it.

12. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

Yes, but how?

Since it'd cost a lot to plug up those overflows and find something else to do with that crap (for lack of a better word). However, if you at least can the dam, it can flow away a little better and not just stagnate.

To me, ditch all the dams and be done with it.

13. crittergitter

Are you serious? We need to dig up every single pipe under all of Columbus and Delaware then and completly re-route every drainage and sewer pipe in both cities. Not even possible. Do a search of the EPA & ODNR and you will see this is an iniative throughout the state and not just on your precious little fishing hole. There are efforts to remove the Ballville & McCuteonville lowheads on the Sandusky and many more rivers statewide. Nevermind that fact that a person died at 5th ave lowhead dam this year. Are you really that selfish and insensitive and closed minded? Explain again for all of us the benefits of keeping the dams how they are and exactly why that is better for the environment and us?

14. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

Boat probably won't fit in the water without the dam :p

15. fishnwithjoe

Are you serious? We need to dig up every single pipe under all of Columbus and Delaware then and completly re-route every drainage and sewer pipe in both cities. Not even possible. Instead let's just spend over 1.5 million dollars that the city desperately needs to destroy the dam so the sewage flows downstream faster. Thats a great idea so the same sewage gets to Downtown Columbus, Chillicothe, Circleville and the Ohio River a little quicker where it still has the same impact.
    This is a smoke in the mirror technique to waste money and avoid solving the problem. The way to clean up the water is to stop the sewage and contaminants from flowing in it. The people pushing the idea of destroying the dam have not even studied the full impact of what they are doing. There isnt even a contour map showing what the River will look like after the 5th Ave dam destruction. I know this for a fact. If someone has the map I welcome them to show it to me as proof.
    If the dam is destroyed there are deep holes under pipes that will set yards away from the actual River which spew out sewage that will be forced to travel across the ground long distances to even reach the River. The biggest examples of this are the sewage pipes that set directly in front of the French Field house and the one that sets directly accross from it.
    Over 1.5 million will go a long way in helping stop the sewage overflow. Let's all agree to be good stewards of the River and not waste our hard earned dollars on anything but stopping the sewage flow into the river.

Fishnwithjoe

16. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

17. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

I understand that you oppose removing the 5th ave dam, but why? Improving the overall water quality and habitat of a stream system, especially this Olentangy stretch, is very important. You have not specifically said why you oppose, only that you want to fix the Combinded Sewage Overflow systems. Yeah, its a problem, who doesnt want to fix it? Leaving a dammed up pool with low oxygen and wastewater will not help the stream and its life, and ultimately, thats what is most important. I seriously wonder if you would argue this topic if you didnt catch bass there...

AAAAnyways... Im going to try to attend this event. Ill have a green cap on, so make sure to say hello.

18. fishnwithjoe

I oppose it because over 1.5 million in taxpayer dollars will be used to tear the dam down. In our tight economic times that can be used to help reduce the amount of sewage that flows into the Olentangy River. The dam in no way pollutes the river. No where can you show me that the dam itself is somehow leaking pollution but all the open sewer pipes north of it are. Take a quick look at the pipes and the water levels in the Olentangy north of 5th Avenue and you'll see that the combined sewer overflows have cut out major holes where they pour out into the River. If the water levels were to be dropped raw untreated sewage would flow for yards to even reach the banks of the River. There are condoms and oil that regularly pours from the pipes. If the dam is destroyed then the sediment behind the dam that is full of contaminats will flow directly into downtown Columbus and stack up right in front of COSI at the next lowhead dam at Mainstreet . Anyone who spends enough time with Olentangy River water on his/her hands knows this. Those who openly support the removal of the dam will just walk away if this happens then the taxpayers of Columbus and sportsman and sportswomen who cherished the dam as a place to fish will end up paying the bill to cover all of the additional emergency cleanup efforts required.
    The area above 5th Avenue was recently named a wetlands research site of international importance and last month I spoke at The Ohio State University during a celebration ahead of President Gordon Gee about the importance of cleaning up our rivers systems to make them great places for sportmen and women to enjoy. The video clip Ive posted on this thread, my website and on many other places on the net was used as a part of the proposal to convince and show an international committe that the Olentangy River at the university is healthier because of the cleanup efforts that have taken place. The claims that the water behind the dam is stagnant are untrue and used in an effort to destroy the dam. The River holds one of the most impressive populations of largemouth for the angler of any public waterway in Central Ohio. The river stinks because of sewage so let's all get together, clean up the sewage and save our favorite fishing hole.
    Furthermore I have filmed and completed a thirty minute documentary on the Olentangy River that shows tons of largemouth and smallmouth bass that are available for the average sportsman to catch. Let's not confuse desires to remove the dam with true cleanup efforts because they are not the same. Sportsmen let's get together stop the sewage and save a great place to fish. Our future generations are depending on us. Perhaps anglers should show up to the dam at noon with our fishing rods, catch some fish and support keeping our favorite fishing hole intact. We all need to organize so if you want to join me in cleaning up the River and saving our favorite fishing hole contact me by leaving a message through my site at fishnwithjoe@yahoo.com
    Thanks

Fishnwithjoe

19. crittergitter

You seem to be the lone opposing voice. Good luck with your project of saving the dam when the city and most "knowledgable" fishermen want to see it go.

20. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Aren't the sewage infrastructure (CSO issue) upgrades being addressed in a $1.66b municipal bond issue on our ballot this Nov 4? This is to bring the sewage system up to CWA compliance. These aren't taxpayer funds.

Secondly, do you ever open your mouth without shamelessly promoting these little videos and "documentaries?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.