Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slipped out to the tangy this AM before the kids got up. Hooked into a monster smallmouth measusred a touch over 21 inches I was guessing @3lbs give or take she was mucho thick. I went on to catch 5 more bass a 14 , 2 12's and 2 10's plus 7 bonus rock bass. 13 fish in @ 1:30 :D. All were caught on a rebel crawfish brown top yellow sides. The water was stlightly up and satined. The big fish was on the slack water side of a sand/gravel bar. the 12's bass were in a cut/pocket of a weed bed below a wing dam. The 10's came from a fallen tree. All rock bass were caught on a strech of rip/rap bank.
Tight lines one and all........

London Calling

·
Registered
337 Posts
WOW!! i'm still waitin for one of those kind of days. i've never seen a smallie that big out of a river. is that the biggest you've ever caught?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice report and congrats on a great day, but anyone else thinking, "monster smallmouth measusred a touch over 21 inches" and "mucho thick" has got to weigh a lot more than 3 lbs????

·
Hack Fisherman
116 Posts
Yeah, I was going to chime in on that earlier. You are definitely slighting yourself on the weight.

If it was 21' and thick then I would put her around 4.5 - 5 lbs.

Great catch!

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
i had a 18 a couple weeks ago and it went 2.6 depends on the fish though

·
Registered
332 Posts
Way to go LC. I agree with the guys that it had to go 4 lbs and unless it was emaciated, I'm thinking closer to 5.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all! I have ever estimated the weight of a fish 3 lbs was just a guess. She had some shoulders on her and belly was full of something. Shes still out there for one of you to catch :)

·
Fish are Guys
57 Posts
Fantastic fish! I've worked hard for 5 years and haven't got a river-20" yet! I netted a 21-inch lake smallie once for my buddy - it was 5.6 lbs. If yours was a fatty, it should easily be 5.

·
Banned
798 Posts
I'd give up my first born son to land a hog smallie like that. I've never broken the 17 inch mark yet. Nice fish, next time bring Pics of gtfo.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Benny,
Head on over to your favorite stretch in my neighborhood, and bust out a Blue/Silver Rebel popper. Toss it in that same areas you were tossing 3" grubs the other evening...you'll get your 18"er.
Or borrow Dan's white/chart spinnerbait...whichever one's getting hits.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Benny,
Head on over to your favorite stretch in my neighborhood, and bust out a Blue/Silver Rebel popper. Toss it in that same areas you were tossing 3" grubs the other evening...you'll get your 18"er.
Or borrow Dan's white/chart spinnerbait...whichever one's getting hits.
that brought the LOL's. Tried the spinner bait last night, nothing. In my opinion grubs are the ticket. I also under estimate my lengths to avoid conflicts with all the know it alls on the OGF, plus anything bigger than 12 inches can't fit in my fryin' pan.... :D;)

(ps. the frying pan comment is a joke all you C&R buddies.)

·
SMB and Saugeyes.
175 Posts
Those rebel craws will produce.

And bopperattacker reminds me of another poster that used to frequent here... "BennyLovesSaugeyes" ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is a fine catch. There some nice smallmouth all over the central ohio area. I have caught fish 18" up to 21" in the licking river,the hocking river,the kokossing river and other creeks in the area. Good luck and keep fishing. I started when I was about 5 and am now 63. Plan on wading and canoeing as long as I can.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts