close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Older pets

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LakeRaider, Aug 3, 2005.

1. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Little help here pet owners. I have an older Lab that once in a while can,t hold it ( PIDDLE FOR A NICE TERM) thru the day sometimes. I steam clean the carpet asap and a day later, well, yikes! :( We use the store bought deoderizer-neutralizer but, IT AIN,T GITTIN' IT! Anybody here got a home remedy to put it the carpet cleaner that works? Or a store bought neutralizer(brand name) that really works? Wow, I hope somebuddy has an answer! Red
    isn,t too happy and you all know what that means. :mad: Ol' Raider is on the couch again! LOL How come its always "Your dog" when they do that?
    Thanx , Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Thats Real Sad To Hear..my Sisters Dog Did That Before She Passed Away
    The Stuff I Used Was Called Natures Miracle..got It At Petsmart.its A Bottle Spray Liquid..its 10$ A Bottle But Works Great..say Hi To Your Dog For Me..labs Are Great..miss Mine...

3. I use stuff called pet off. I get it at my vet's office.It's made by the co. that makes skunk off. Both products work very well. I've used it straight out of the bottle for heavy areas .it can also be used in a scrubber. I had a 19 yr. old cat that had bladder cancer and at the end he had accidents alot. right now i'm having the "control"' issue with my 16 yr. old aussie girl. Whatcha gonna do?
    I also have a buddy that cleans carpets for a living that told me the best thing is to use a baking soda / water solution.he says it neutralizes the urine.
    good luck.

4. You better do something and fast, or you will find yourself spending a couple of thousand dollars to replace the carpet.

5. Another option would be to put doggy diapers on him. I've seriously thought about putting them on my dog.

6. Natures Miracle works great but the odor will probably return if the carpet pad soaks through and the urine penetrates the wood floor. Prior to puting in new carpeting I applied shellac (2 coats) to my wood which will prevent the lasting odor. I also put down a special Mohawk carpet and pad that is gauranteed for life not to retain the odor of urine. Tell the better half that you think it is time for new carpeting and do what I did.
    The diapers also work well once you get the dog to wear them instead of pulling them off.
    Good luck on helping an old and faitful friend in the twilight years.

7. I don't know of any special carpet, but I believe you either bought Outperformer pad, or if you recently had it installed, you may have the new stainmaster pad. Whoever sold you ther carpet was pulling your chain though. There aint no carpet that the urine won't go through. I only know this because I a warehouse manager for a carpet company. Was the pad pinkish red, or was it a blueish green? There is carpets that are resistant, but not 100% urine proof. See if the dog is anything like a cat. Even thou you can't smell it (after treating it), he can and likes to urinate in the same spot all the time (thats what cats do). What kind of carpet was this that you bought? I will check into it and see how resistant it really is.

8. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Your best bet is to apply the doggie diapers and not have to worry about the carpets. This comes from a hunter with 4 dogs, including a 15 year Vizsla. lol

9. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

i use natures miracle with my puppy, works GREAT

10. No need to check out the Mohawk carpet and pad I described as it works exactly as promised by the Mohawk factory representative I discussed it with.
    If you are able to detect the urine quickly enough you can minimize the carpet leak through to the pad. The representative said the only way the gaurantee is honored is if the specific carpet and pad combo are used. This carpet combo was installed three yers ago when the product was first introduced. At that time it was special order.
    The shellac was used to seal the wood as the previous owner of the house was quite lax regarding animal urine accidents and trace amounts of odor became present during high humidity conditions as could be expected due to the wood impregnation. I did use Natures Miracle on the wood prior to the shellac.
    I would suggest the shellac treatment to anyone that is replacing carpeting as my living room which is 16x30 feet only took one half day to seal with two coats. Just about any quality wood sealer will work .

11. Took my 13 yr old sherpard to the vet for same problem and he put her on this pill that controled 90% of her driping or more.gave 1 pill per day for 7 days then 1 a week name is Diethylstilbesterol 1mg.Give it a try.
    Fred

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That's a female hormone. You may not want to give that to a male dog.
    And make sure you wash your hands throughly after touching those pills.

13. UncleBud

UncleBud Retired and Happy

You might have your vet check for stones in the bladder. Ex-girl friend (way back when) had a shepard that dribbled. Xrays showed her bladder was full of stones. Operation and change in diet cleared everything up in fine shape. Even improved the dog's disposition.

14. Got the same problem. My boy has Cushings Disease. Causes him to drink water all day and into the night. I made the decision to make him as comfortable as I can for my old friend. He wakes us up all hours of the night to go out. I know he's not long for this world. It's sad we don't have them, it seems, very long. Seems like yesterday I brought him home from the breeder. A little bundle of joy. That was 9 years ago. So I do what it takes to help him along. So for all who are reading this. Don't scold your best friend. Work with them. You can't find any better friend then your dog. You be his best friend too. I feel a cholking in my throat, and eyes are misting. My 2 cents.