Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this site is always a wealth of information, I thought I would turn to you more experienced gentlemen. I am a big fan of what I consider to be older movies. Being born in 1980, I appreciate the simplicity of a plot driven movie like Cool Hand Luke and The Cincinnati Kid. With that in mind, I am looking for suggestions on more movies like that. Help out my old soul so I don't have to turn to Transformers for my entertainment.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
a couple favorites just off the top of my head.........

bad day at black rock.....spencer tracy
the rear window....jimmy stewart
african queen....humphry bogart
maltese falcon....humphry bogart

all classics.lots more,but i'm sure others can add to the list.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would argue that Cool Hand Luke Luke is more thematic than plot driven. Regardless, if ya take C. H. Luke in one hand, and the Cincy Kid in the other... smear em together, you get Paul Newman in The Hustler... great flick.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glacier what I meant by plot driven is relying on the story to carry the movie rather than spicing it up with superfluous "stuff". The thing I love about these movies is that you can literally have a lengthy scene surrounding a table (Cincy Kid) without explosions, gun fights, "tear-jerking" moments, etc and the strength of the movie carries through.

BTW I own the hustler. great flick!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
3rd shift blues
424 Posts
Bridge Over The River Kwai(sp?), while a bit "aged" in some aspects, always gets my attention when I'm in the mood for a good story, as well some great characters.
Have you seen The Shawshank Redemption? A bit newer, but still well done.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Shawshank Redemption is a terrific movie.

I'm a big fan of westerns......The Tin Star with Henry Fonda is a good one, and the original 4:10 to Yuma with Glenn Ford is another.

Most anything by Alfred Hitchcock will be suspenseful and entertaining without all the gore.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you like "war" movies one of my favorites is Kelly's Hero's. More of a comedy. Also The Dirty Dozen and the early Pink Panther series come to mind.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
a couple favorites just off the top of my head.........

bad day at black rock.....spener tracy
the rear window....jimmy stewart
african queen....humphry bogart
maltese falcon....humphry bogart

all classics.lots more,but i'm sure others can add to the list.
Im not so sure he wanted to go that far back;):D but I will get off my John Wayne soapbox and say Hang em High with Clint Eastwood.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
A newer movie that ties into all this is The Mexican... Pretty good movie. I am watching a bunch in my head right now but I swear I can't remember the name of any of them.

·
fished with Noah
279 Posts
If you want some little known, but thought provoking movies I'd reccommend "The Next Voice You Hear" and "A Matter Of Life and Death". Both are hard to find but great character studies with very interesting plots.

·
north hill alumni assoc.
136 Posts
The Hustler-George C.Scott and Jackie Gleason outshine Paul Newman in his best role.
Rear Window-Great time killer/aren't we all voyeurs?
The Third Man-my favorite,always wins those international "best movies of all time" polls.Almost perfect.
North by Northwest-great entertainment,picks you up and takes you away to a better, more interesting time.
Picnic-evokes the 1950s as well as any movie ever.Venue looks so much like Waterworks Park in the Falls its scary...
East of Eden-two young midwestern actors vied for their first lead part, and James Dean(three movies-three Academy Award nominations) beat out Newman.Not hard to see why.
Hombre-amazingly overlooked western that Newman called his best role.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
another cult classic that is somewhat newer is BoonDock Saints

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
plot driven:
The Sting
The Godfather

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Anything with Clint Eastwood, sans the 'Any Which Way' crap he put out.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot is a great movie. I despise musicals, but 'Paint Your Wagon' is a classic.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Jacob' Ladder is a movie that is not very well known but is very good. I will have to advise you though, some people get it and some don't. All movie aficionado's see it as high art before it's time.

Think M. Night Shyamalans' inspiration.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts