close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Older duron/athlonxp or CPU HELP!

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by cheezemm2, Mar 1, 2005.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

0   0   0

Well, I built my own computer from the ground up here recently, only to find out a very shady deal...This is for the tech junkies who may have a spare part lying around that I merely need to borrow for about 20 mins...

So, here's the deal....I bought a soyo motherboard and case together...specifically the SY-K7VM333 v1.0....it came with 512 of pc 2700 ram(runs at 333mhz) with a sempron 2500+(1.75ghz) Well, Soyo's motherboards will only read the sempron properly if the bios are flashed with an older processor(Duron/Athlon xp)...Therefore, if anyone is willing to loan one or sell a used one for cheap, I'd appreciate it...Doesn't matter either way, but I'd like my computer to run 100% instead of 95...

Lastly, if any of you know anything about setting FSB multipliers please HELP! I've set the jumpers on the board correctly, and gone into the bios, but it will not, WILL NOT, let me change from a FSB of 133 to 166...I'm assuming this has to do with the processor id problem since instead of sempron, the board reads it as an athlon mp 1400...I'm currently running at 1.4ghz when I should be at 1.75 and it's VERY aggravating...Kind of like "catching" a record fish, only to see it wiggle one last time and fall of the hook at the edge of the boat!!!!

2. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

0   0   0

wow, thats wierd that you need a 'lesser' amd just to flash your bios. i have an 850 T-bird, but it is being donated to a buddy. i flashed my new bios (asus mb) right off of a floppy disk by pressing f3 upon boot for built-in flash utility.

Something seems very shadey about that setup you got there. I dont know where you got this but, i'd pursue (if it was a computer shop) returning it. seems soyo messed up on that mb or someone didnt read all the specs before plopping a sempron 2500+(1.75ghz) on it. :rolleyes: sorry for your problems.

as to the FSB and ram timings, i have mine at defaults, though i know i can crank up the clocks/volts on this Asus, i dont have adequate cooling so i just run stock speeds. 2.166666666 ghz seems fast enough for me.

theres a few ppl on here who might be able to help ya further than me on your clock speeds and all...... sit tight, they'll be by

or try here:
    http://www.motherboards.org/forums/

good luck

3. papaperch

papaperch

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Never heard of having to run a slower processor to flash bios. By flashing bios it should identify the newer processor. that link liquid Tension gave you is an excellent site. You might try going to Soyo 's homepage also. www. soyousa.com

4. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

0   0   0

pm ksu flash he can help you

5. papaperch

papaperch

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Did some investigating at soyos site. That is a micro - atx board with only two pci slots. I would take it back to the computer shop where you bought it. If your case is normal sized get an atx board. make sure it has at least 5 pci slots and 3 sdram memory slots. I would never build a computer with a micro-atx board as expansion is very limited. You will find these kind of boards in the cheaper computers. they usually have on-board video and upgrading anything on them is usually a pain.

6. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

0   0   0

I had that problem a few years back with an Asus A7M266 board. At the time I put a 1.6ghz on it and the bios wouldn’t recognize it and it wouldn’t boot. I had to put a 700mhz chip on it, flash the bios and then there was no problem after that. The last puter I put together I used a Soyo A7V8X-X and it is the biggest piece of Junk I have ever seen. Won’t boot if you hook two cd’s (slave / master) Go to their web site and they will agree that it is a problem and their fix is to switch the cd and hard drive connectors on the mother board. The networking stopped working on it and the video will lock up often. I have built a dozen or more puters using Asus motherboard and video cards and I’ll never buy soyo junk again. Oh I got the soyo board almost free with the rebate, It should have been free.
    Good advice !

7. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

0   0   0

Don't know if you are still looking but I have a couple Duron 850's laying about if you need to borrow one to upgrade. I will need them back because I use them sometimes to help repair computers, it is always nice to have a good processer when you are ruling things out.

Also on the micro atx board I I do agree getting a full atx if it is not anymore, then again the case may only support a micro. Don't know how you would want to make the exchange, I live in Obetz which is on the South East side of Columbus. I will be at BW3's for the "social" this weekend if you are going there.

Also depending on where you are at I have a local shop I use a lot for computer equipment if you need to upgrade or you just want to try something different. Lately I have been using a lot of MSI's and Biostar motherboards instead of the tried and true's like Abit, Asus, Soyo etc. Seems in the last 4 or so years MSI and Biostar have been putting out a pretty good product, couldn't say that about them too much about 5 years ago.

8. jaredj

jaredj

0   0   0

I HAVE one you can have

9. cheezemm2

0   0   0

Wow, I didn't know we had this many tech guys around...sweet...well, as it stands I need a duron 1.3ghz-1.8ghz to work on this board or an athlonxp 1800+ to 3000+...As for the board, I'm sticking with it...The ram is expandable up to 2GB which I will never probably fully utilize, and as for PCI's I don't need them...I'm willing to do mail, pick up, or delivery...Like I said, I don't need this for keeps just to borrow long enough to do the cpu swap and flash the bios...Expect to be paid somehow as you'll be saving me at least $50 overall.(if I had to buy the processor) I'm up for a day long wade trip in the spring on the Darby including pickup, bait, lunch, and drop off if you like...pm me if you've got one of these processors lying around and can help out! Thank you thank you thank you!

Miso: I don't know if the 850's would work on the board, otherwise I'd be there in a heartbeat!

10. jaredj

jaredj

0   0   0

The one I have is 700 and a 450. Your welcome to them, but sounds like it wont work for you.

11. cheezemm2

0   0   0

I have no idea if the older ones would work...I'm going to have to some serious digging around, but I'll let you know...thanks

12. TexasRigged

TexasRigged Lover of all things wet.

0   0   0

I have a duron you could have. I believe it is a 1300.

13. cheezemm2

0   0   0

That would be great...I'll be in touch...