Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bengals 4-life WHO DEY
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its about time to find something that will actually patch this leak in my older V bottom aluminum jon boat. The problem has been getting worse over the years and I haven't found anything to stop the leak(s). It is getting to the point where i have to bail, haha. I love the boat it has character, It is probably from the late 60's early 70's not sure, but I would like to find something or somehow to patch the leaks. Does anyone have suggestions to find an patch the leaks I have tried everything really that I can think of. The boat has rivets and is Aluminum like i said. Any suggestions will be appreciated, it would be nice to keep it from leaking for once.

·
Bengals 4-life WHO DEY
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I propped my boat up and filled it with water and found the leaks, I have a couple. 1 is on the seam and about 4 rivets seem to be weak, I might try tightening them up. thanks for the input though

·
Kiss The Converse
4,560 Posts
Try Jb Weld, I had an old 12' boat that had leaks all over the place. One tube of JB and the leaks were gone.

·
Bengals 4-life WHO DEY
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah JB weld has worked in the past, I tried Gorilla Glue this time, but the leak was obviously on the seam as I could see daylight once i started to scrub the spot w/ a wire brush. Hopefully this Gorilla glue works, if not good ol JB Weld will work, I wish i could weld aluminum.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Put a wire brush on your drill and clean the area at leas three inches beyond the end rivets. Make sure to let the brush work the edge of the overlap metal. Apply the JB Weld and do your best to force it between the overlap and then tighten the rivets as fast as you can. That should make the seam as tight as new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts