close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Old motor?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by twistertail, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Well I'm getting a small boat and my grandpa has an old 7.5 horse motor he is giving me. Its probably an early 80's and has been used one time and been sitting in his garage every since. What should I do before I try to use it or should I just take it someplace and someone who really knows what they are doing go over it? Thanks for any help.

2. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Unless there is a problem it wil probably start right now. If it has sat for a while the carb may be gummed up. Also the impeller(waterpump) could have gone bad. They are plastic and tend to get brittle after a while. General rule of thumb is replace that every 2 - 3 years. I'd also check the spark plug. If itwas put away in good condition it will probably be a good motor for you. Check your fuel lines and primer bulb and don't use old gas. Empty the tank and start with fresh gas.

3. Yep I was planning on draining out the gas and just cleaning everything up but I have never worked on an outboard at all so didnt know if there was something I should pay close attention too. Thanks for the tips.

4. As Ncraft150 suggested, make sure to watch the water pump volume. The impeller blades tend to get brittle and once they break off you will not be pumping water. That is the one way to do serious damage to the powerhead if you are not getting water through it to cool it. You can try to start it and run it without changing the water pump impeller but I would definitely have it replaced before putting any real time on the motor. As far as changing it yourself, that depends on whether you are machanically handy. It also depends on what motor it is as some water pumps are much easier to get to than others.

An early '80's motor is not old by any means when you are talking about outboards. Like Ncraft150 said if it was put away in good shape it will probably be in pretty good shape. You may have some cleaning to do on the carb if it had any fuel sitting in it.

5. Well I will probably get it sometime this week and will know a little more about it. I dont know what kind it is or exactly what year so once I get into it I'll be asking some more questions. I know it wont be too bad for a free motor!

6. I'd take it to get it tuned up,Better off that way,In the long run..My .02...

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I would agree that a tune-up is in order. Have a mechanic adjust the carbs and replace the water pump impeller. Better off. Besides, it will be money well-spent.