Old Gas :confused:

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by The One, Apr 23, 2008.

1. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

I have some old pre-mix gas in the tank maybe as old as 2003. I think there is 1/3 of a tank or about 6 gallons. Any harm in topping off with new fuel and mix and running it out? I really don't have anywhere to store or use the old stuff. I could buy a new gas can and run it through the weed eater if I had too I suppose. Any and all coments appreciated.:

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

if it's that old ,i would not run it thru . see if a junk yard will take it? there was an add on craigslist by someone looking for old gas for biodiesel?

3. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

thanks I'll check craigslist

4. When I bought my first boat in 2003 it had been sitting behind a barn for 3 years. The previous owner had put Sta-Bil in the pre-mixed fuel. I used that gas (12 gallons) & had no problems at all. The boat I have now had gas that was 2-4 years old. I don't know if it had Sta-Bil but I put some in this past fall. Last week I fired it up with gas from the fall with Sta-Bil & it ran fine. I switched fuel line to old tank & that ran fine also. I was just idling in backyard but it didn't seem to notice it was running on old gas. I let it idle for 15 minutes on the old fuel. Next time I'm on water I'll switch over to old tank to see if it runs with weight on it & post results here.

5. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

dont mix it. drain it out.