close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Old fishing camp question.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by joerugz, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Don't know where else to post this, so I'll try the lounge here.

About 30 years ago my dad and I went to a camp in Canada called Brown's.
    It was on the Little Mississippi River through Peterburough somewhere around Bancroft. It was run by some people from Akron. I did manage to find Brown's road on the river with google satalite, but no indication of any camp. I'm sure its long gone. But was wondering if anyone else has ever been there or heard of it?

Thanks, Joe

2. Joe,

I've heard of the Missisauga River in Ontario, but not of the Little Mississippi-unless it's a local nickname. I'm fairly certain the Trent River runs through Peterborough. North or south of Peterborough?

Tim

3. Sorry. I meant that you drove through Peterborough as the last big town on the way up to Bancroft. I found a bed and breakfast that advertizes walks along the Little Mississippi River. Any info would be appreciated.

4. I know the Little Mississippi quite well. Dad and I stayed at the York River Camp which the LM flowed into. That was back in the mid 50's thru the early 60's. Eddy Drake owned the camp and was a really good guide. Ed's wife was
    French and did all the cooking for the camp. Fresh baked rolls with every meal. I can still remember walking into the camp dining room and smelling those rolls as well as the moose steaks and all the other wonderful food that was served.
    I took my family for a long trip up the LM one day. I had to pull the boat up a narrow cut in a large slab rock area that the water had carved out through the years. We then entered a part of the river that was shrouded with trees
    and left you with the impression of truly being in the wilderness. The wife was uneasy about the whole experience but the children loved it.
    Fishing was great on the York and the Little Mississippi as well as the marsh area both flowed into. Large and smallmouth bass, northerns, walleye and large panfish. Some of those fish are on my office wall and bring back many fond memories. :)

5. Shortdrift, reading your post brought back some good memories. The lower end of the river was all marsh. The upper end was rocky with a small rapid or two. The river was only about 75 or so yards wide, but marshy along the edges. My uncle and I, landed the boat on a rock in the middle of the river and fished off it. We caught 7 different species of fish. Northern, sm and Lm,
    Rock bass, crappie, perch and bluegill. All with a cp swing tipped with nightcrawlers. I was 15 yrs old. 30yrs ago!

Thanks for the memories.