Ohio Game Fishing banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
We would make home made water rockets at work when there was nothing to do. We would use half liter water bottles, and a piece of steel brake line with a gas valve. We would drill a hole just under 5/16 dia. in the cap. Half fill it with water and attach it to air. We had about 150psi air system, and they were crazy to shoot.. (the new bottles are too flimsy). One of my co workers decided to try a Gatorade bottle, but the hole was drilled too small. It stuck and wouldn't come off the tube. The bottle blew up next to my head. I remember saying "I can't feel my hand and my ears are ringing.. My hand was numb and i couldn't hear for about 5 minutes.. yet we were laughing like school kids... We grew up in a different era... If you weren't dead, it was automatically funny........... When i was about 14, we made a rocket from leftover estes parts, and replaced the chute with FFFF. "Still can't talk about that one at Mom's house..
maxresdefault.jpg

·
Registered
420 Posts
Glad I posted my attic find. You guys are killing me with all the cool old toys! Seeing this stuff again really takes me back. My Evel Knievel motorcycle and SSP cars were at the top of my favorites list. The SSP cars had a geared plastic pull handle and a rubber tire in the center bottom. Those things were fast. I had this SSP Smash Up Derby set that was literally made to crash into walls and the hood and doors would fly off. :) You couldn't hardly break them things. Wish I still had it.
View attachment 462121
I had the same one! Cool. I had forgot about them. Thank you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
And I'm sure you old guys remember these water rockets. They still make them but they're way less powerful than they were then. You could really hurt someone with these things. I remember putting 7 Up in one and it busted the red plastic before I could release it. Probably would've hit the moon. :)
View attachment 462122
Had that one too. My uncle and his buddies pumped that thing up and that was the last time I ever saw it.

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,405 Posts
Doubt you’d be able to buy one now. To many sissy’s out there afraid you’d get hurt. How the hell did we live so long doing what we did. At least we have some great memories of those days guys

·
Registered
23 Posts
Going through some stuff in the attic and came across one of my old Cox tether airplane motors from the 70's. I'm sure some of you old timers remember these. It took me back to simpler times when a kid could be a kid albeit missing a finger or two. ;)
View attachment 462041
Those Cox planes flew like a rock on a string. My brother and his friend flew free flight models. They had to put a timer on the fuel supply so they didn’t get too far. When I got older he and I got into the R/C planes. It was fun but outgrew my budget and physical abilities. It is amazing what they can do with those planes now. The bigger ones now run weed eater engines with a 24” prop. In Europe they are building half scale R/C planes. The helicopters have gyros and the stunt flyers can fly them upside down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's really cool!!!

Me too! It has a unique odor and I'd recognize it in a second.

Nice! Can't remember what mine were exactly, but I do remember crashing them.
That peculiar oder is about 10% nitro methane plus alcohol like top fuel dragsters run mixed with caster oil to make 2 cycle gas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We would make home made water rockets at work when there was nothing to do. We would use half liter water bottles, and a piece of steel brake line with a gas valve. We would drill a hole just under 5/16 dia. in the cap. Half fill it with water and attach it to air. We had about 150psi air system, and they were crazy to shoot.. (the new bottles are too flimsy). One of my co workers decided to try a Gatorade bottle, but the hole was drilled too small. It stuck and wouldn't come off the tube. The bottle blew up next to my head. I remember saying "I can't feel my hand and my ears are ringing.. My hand was numb and i couldn't hear for about 5 minutes.. yet we were laughing like school kids... We grew up in a different era... If you weren't dead, it was automatically funny........... When i was about 14, we made a rocket from leftover estes parts, and replaced the chute with FFFF. "Still can't talk about that one at Mom's house..
View attachment 462196
Built a couple of those with a cherry bomb for a nose cone. The first one was not aerodynamic and was coming down under power about 200 mph when the bomb went off. Scared the crap out of us, so we did it again.. lol

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
What about a more dangerous game. Potato Guns, when I had a cabin we had 3 of them, oh man that was fun. Now I have grandchildren and I need to introduce some action this weekend.

·
The Eagle Has Landed
121 Posts
Do you guys remember these? It was in the late 60's and went to NYC to visit my grandparents who lived on the 5th floor of a high rise apartment building. Bought these at a 5 and dime store. We would load these babys up with as many caps we could get in them and throw them out the window into the parking lot. POW! I was a 5 year old little pyro. Wow. Great memories over 50 years ago.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Remember the red paper caps that came in a roll? If you smashed the whole roll with the end of a baseball bat or a hammer your parents would yell at you! It was loud!
Yes the whole roll and whole box at once was quite loud! I remember being at my grandpa's in Tenn and scraping them under my thumbnail making them flare up. The whole tip of my thumb was black and grandpa said I was going to get lockjaw. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Do you guys remember these? It was in the late 60's and went to NYC to visit my grandparents who lived on the 5th floor of a high rise apartment building. Bought these at a 5 and dime store. We would load these babys up with as many caps we could get in them and throw them out the window into the parking lot. POW! I was a 5 year old little pyro. Wow. Great memories over 50 years ago.
Yes! I've seen people find those old ones while metal detecting. The newer ones were plastic.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Those Cox planes flew like a rock on a string. My brother and his friend flew free flight models. They had to put a timer on the fuel supply so they didn’t get too far. When I got older he and I got into the R/C planes. It was fun but outgrew my budget and physical abilities. It is amazing what they can do with those planes now. The bigger ones now run weed eater engines with a 24” prop. In Europe they are building half scale R/C planes. The helicopters have gyros and the stunt flyers can fly them upside down.
Giant Scale SR-71 Blackbird (Scratch-Built) -- Top Gun Invitational 2018 - YouTube

·
assassin
231 Posts
Remember the red paper caps that came in a roll? If you smashed the whole roll with the end of a baseball bat or a hammer your parents would yell at you! It was loud!
Remember the perforated roll of red paper caps that you put in a Mattel "Fanner 50"- we all were the neighbor hood posse- the other 50 version shot plastic bullets with green stick-em caps on the shell

·
The one others want to be
2,212 Posts
I had the Kentucky rifle that you loaded with a cork ball. There were caps called "greenies" that were adhesive. You stuck them on the face of the hammer. There was a passage that ran from the anvil into the barrel. When you fired the gun, the force would actually shoot the cork ball out of the barrel some 25 feet. That was an awesome toy but they stopped making the greenie caps when I was about 8. Too powerful I guess. But I sure do remember smacking an entire roll of red caps with a hammer. Rang your ears for a bit.

You know it.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Another classic toy that a lot of you guys probably played with. I found one of these plastic discs a few years ago and knew immediately what it was. I had forgotten all about them. :)
toy-tracer-gun.jpg

41 - 60 of 60 Posts