Ohio Game Fishing banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Me and my buddies had the kind with the two strings. One day my buddie's strings slipped out of his hands with the plane still running. The drag of the strings kept the plane flying in circles until it ran out of gas. We chased it down the road to the other end of the neighborhood the plane going in circles and climbing the whole time. It was way up there when it finally ran out of gas and came crashing down. Luckily it hit nothing but a driveway when it crashed.

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
I was involved in model airplane competition from 1949 until 1956. U-Control aerobatics was my speciality but also competed in U-Control speed as well as powered free flight. Dad was my mechanicand we competed inn the Internationals as well as the Nationals. I was fortunate to win the 1/2A free flight at the Internationas using an OK Cub powered Zeek. I still have a Fox35 moter and a couple trophys that I kept as reminders of the time dad and I shared together. l

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ugh
I can remember burning my fingers on them and getting the fuel in my eyes when they started. Don't know how I didn't cut my fingers off trying to disconnect the wires after it finally started. Good post.. it brought back memories long forgotten.

I remember using them when I was 9 or 10.. wonder how long it would take for the government to ban these things in this day and age

·
Registered
36 Posts
Reading this gave me a few smiles and laughs. The trainer plane yellow and blue in color I thought was the pt-49, pilot had helmet,goggles and a flowing scarf in plastic of course. The thing I remember the wing fastened to the body with rubber bands so it took crashes well. Who was good enough to do a 1/2 loop flying upside down,string control became opposite for up and down?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Launching model rockets was one of our favorite past times...and climbing trees after them when they went astray!! lol
Another great one.. I think I have a couple of em that i modified to 4 stages that are still floating around up there with the satellites to this day lol

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Speaking of slot cars, I also found a box with some old smaller scale track and guardrails. I'm sure there are some cars and more track if I dig deep enough. I had a light blue Ford GT with white stripes that's probably up there somewhere.
View attachment 462051 View attachment 462052
Wore out the little contacts on those.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Launching model rockets was one of our favorite past times...and climbing trees after them when they went astray!! lol
Loved them things too! The older neighbor kid was real big into the Estes and Cox rockets. He had one with a clear stage tube that came down on a parachute, and he put his Anole lizard in it and blasted him off. It drifted quite a ways and got hung up in a tree. When we finally got that poor thing down he was a different color and his tail was broken off. I brought that story up to him several years ago and he laughed and said "he didn't have the right stuff" :giggle:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
We used to fire those things off. Back then, it had the old green fuse. Those things were cool, but got out of hand if you weren't careful. My neighbor had a 3 stage, and I put the wrong engine in it. Never saw it again.. Up there with Sputnik I imagine

·
Registered
650 Posts
Going through some stuff in the attic and came across one of my old Cox tether airplane motors from the 70's. I'm sure some of you old timers remember these. It took me back to simpler times when a kid could be a kid albeit missing a finger or two. ;)
View attachment 462041
I had a brown dune buggy type car that had the cox engine and a German Stuka cox airplane

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,397 Posts
Ugh
I can remember burning my fingers on them and getting the fuel in my eyes when they started. Don't know how I didn't cut my fingers off trying to disconnect the wires after it finally started. Good post.. it brought back memories long forgotten.

I remember using them when I was 9 or 10.. wonder how long it would take for the government to ban these things in this day and age
Yeah, you had to get that glow plug hot!

Beat me to it! Yes, we went through our "rocketman" phase with the Estes rockets. The first one I built was the smallest, lightest one they had, and I stuffed the biggest engine I could into it. Estes gave you a tip to tilt your launch rod into the wind so the rocket would come back to you, so we did that for the first launch, which turned out to be the last launch.

That thing went out of sight so fast we couldn't believe it! We could hear the pop when the chute deployed, and then we could barely see it. The problem was the winds aloft must have been a bit stronger than what we were feeling at ground level. We chased that thing like a gang of idiots until it sailed over the horizon into terra incognita. We had a better chance of seeing God than seeing that rocket again!

Reactions: den942 and All Eyes

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Glad I posted my attic find. You guys are killing me with all the cool old toys! Seeing this stuff again really takes me back. My Evel Knievel motorcycle and SSP cars were at the top of my favorites list. The SSP cars had a geared plastic pull handle and a rubber tire in the center bottom. Those things were fast. I had this SSP Smash Up Derby set that was literally made to crash into walls and the hood and doors would fly off. :) You couldn't hardly break them things. Wish I still had it.
smash up derby.jpg

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
And I'm sure you old guys remember these water rockets. They still make them but they're way less powerful than they were then. You could really hurt someone with these things. I remember putting 7 Up in one and it busted the red plastic before I could release it. Probably would've hit the moon. :)
water-rocket.jpg

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I was involved in model airplane competition from 1949 until 1956. U-Control aerobatics was my speciality but also competed in U-Control speed as well as powered free flight. Dad was my mechanicand we competed inn the Internationals as well as the Nationals. I was fortunate to win the 1/2A free flight at the Internationas using an OK Cub powered Zeek. I still have a Fox35 moter and a couple trophys that I kept as reminders of the time dad and I shared together. l
That's really cool! What a great bunch of memories you must have. The only thing I ever competed with was the ground and maybe a tree or 2. They always won.
When I was a kid, there was a store in downtown Canal Fulton named Deltha's that sold the balsa wood airplane kits that you had to put together with plastic strips. They had rubber band wound propellers and landing gear. IF you could get them built without snapping a wing, they lasted about 8 seconds. :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
And I'm sure you old guys remember these water rockets. They still make them but they're way less powerful than they were then. You could really hurt someone with these things. I remember putting 7 Up in one and it busted the red plastic before I could release it. Probably would've hit the moon. :)
View attachment 462122
Holy crap, I had so much fun with this when I was a kid.... this was more fun than my glass clackers

21 - 40 of 60 Posts