close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

old bottles

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cement569, Jan 2, 2017.

1. anyone collect old bottles? I have worked construction the better part of my life and have dug them up and brought them home and cleaned them and try to find their history. I live in the akron area and have found a lot, its fun finding them and got my youngest son involved. I kinda got addicted to it, am I crazy or what?

2. Well.... We'll need pix certainly.

3. have to wait for my wife to get home to show pix...... why do you need pictures?

4. Decoy hound

Decoy hound Supporting Member

Seeing a collection is always better than reading about a collection! And no your not crazy, that's something cool to collect and that you have your son involved is awesome!

the_waterwolf and Roscoe like this.
  5. was not aware it was a collection, I just bring them home. I have over 200 bottles

6. Decoy hound

Decoy hound Supporting Member

Well my friend that's a collection! And we would love to see it. A collection can be anything that your passionate about and have more than a few of.

7. well my wife works 2nd shift and she don't get home until 1 am, gosh I didn't know it was this serious I just asked if anyone else finds old bottles.....jesh

Saugeye Tom likes this.
  8. What everyone is saying that we are interested in seeing your bottles so we might learn something and may be interested in finding old bottles. I bet you have some nice ones. It's an interesting hobby that you and your son have.

Roscoe

Decoy hound likes this.
  9. Saugeye Tom

Saugeye Tom River Pilgrim & Sojourner

It's wintertime we want to see em

10. snag

snag

I don't collect bottles but have found old ones while out hunting years ago in old farmstead sites, milk bottles and medicine bottles with measurement lines on the side. Back in the day no plastics . When I see old dumps in the woods I still nose around a bit.

1more, Lowerider1029 and Decoy hound like this.
  11. I've never heard of old bottles being collected so I'm very interested in seeing what u speak of...Plus I love history and ur occupation sounds to me like u are unearthing history worth seeing.

Decoy hound likes this.
  12. Well after seeing this response I can I see you are not so thrilled to discuss so why even bother posting...jesh.

crappiedude and Lowerider1029 like this.
  13. I collect old milk bottles from NE Ohio dairies. None of them exist any longer like Moss or Belle Vernon or Jefferson. I have about 10 but I'm looking for some 1/2 pint like we used to have in the school cafeteria 60 years ago.

I'll take some photos and put them up tomorrow as my best ones are in my office

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  14. guys I don't know to post pictures call me dumb but that's it. snakecharmer I have 1 half pint from school it is a parker milk Barberton ohio. I promise as soon as me and my wife figure out how to post pictures I will most surely do so

Saugeye Tom and Decoy hound like this.
  15. James F

James F Senior Member

My dad used to collect old bottles. You might be surprised at how much they can be worth. He made over $300.00 on just one bottle! He sold 6 of them for about $1200.00.When he passed away he had 22 of them, they paid for most of his funeral expenses. He knew his bottles:D!

Doboy, lomssl, bdawg and 3 others like this.
  16. james f. your father sounds like he was a real smart man, I didn't know old bottles were worth money but now I will check into what I have ..... thanks

Saugeye Tom likes this.
  17. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Keep whacking away at it, cement. Posting pics is not all that hard to do, and if I can figure it out you can!

Hey, people collect all kinds of things. I'm particularly jealous of folks who are successful at finding arrowheads. Some folks might consider that a waste of time.

My Grandma had a little "store" on the enclosed front porch of her house. She dealt in old bottles, milk glass, Delphtware, and had an enormous old copper cauldron that I can't imagine what it would be worth today!

Also, I saw a TV program years ago where guys were diving a river in South Carolina somewhere. They were particularly interested in old, blue glass, "patent medicine" bottles with a Palmetto tree, the symbol of S. Carolina, molded in. As a bonus they would occasionally find a Mastodon tooth!

So keep your eyes open, you never know what you might find!

Snakecharmer and cement569 like this.
  18. 040.JPG

The bottle on the left is known as a "cream top" as the cream would separate from the milk. It is from the Belle Vernon Dairy of Novelty Ohio (Geauga County). Excluding the money in it, its worth about $15 -25. Its probably close to 90 years old.
    The 1/2 pints ( school milk) and quart are from Universal Dairy of Cincinnati.They are probably 50-70 years old and worth $5 -10 a piece

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Saugeye Tom and Decoy hound like this.
  19. James F

James F Senior Member

The small ones I know were used to to hold medicine, and the real small ones held poisonous liquids. They are usually dark colored.

20. wow...... I never knew there was a market on old bottles, I just brought them home because I knew they were old and I just couldn't let them lay there. I know from my neighbor that I have some bottles from the 1800s. but I have no medicine bottles just beer soda and milk. I will post pics when I figure out how to do it.... after all im just a dumb construction worker.....lol

Saugeye Tom likes this.