close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Old 5hp Evinrude Angler

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Ducker27, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Hello all,

Well this is my first day as a member to this site and I'm really enjoying all the great topics of discussion. I do have a question though if someone could help me I would be so happy. I just bought an old Evinrude Angler 5hp and I'm not quite sure what the setting should be or even the function is of the low speed mixture knob. All i konw is that it is used for trolling supposidly. Anyhow, I did read an old thread here posted by Ranger4x4 but he didn't really seem to get a definite answer. If anyone has any information on this old motor of mine I'll be glad to send you some awesome pics of my hunting and fishing grounds up here in eastern Canada. I do a lot of waterfowl hunting, brook fishin, ice fishin, deer and moose hunting. I am a total addict. I even ate squirrel for the first time last year. Anyhow, if anyone out there has any info for me that'd be great. Thanks so much.
    Ducker27

2. Wish I could help but dont know much about motors but welcome to the site.
    So you're from Canada? Lucky dog, I hear all the time about the great fishing and hunting up there.

3. Well thanks for the welcome. I tell ya, I wouldn't have it any other way. I do love living here. I'll send you some pics sometime if you like. Give you an idea of what this area is like up here. I was born and raised on the Miramichi. I'm sure being a fisherman you must know this river. Some of the best Atlantic Salmon Flyfishing in the world. Also now that the ice is gone there'll be some monster Sea Trout here soon. I gotta get my motor running. I just bought the 5hp Evinrude and a 16ft Wooden Boat in fair condition for $250 canadian. Pretty sweet deal huh.

4. Hey I just got a small boat myself for about the same price, it isnt much but cant wait to get out on the water. Never caught Atlantic salmon, that must be AWSOME! I've caught a few steelhead which would probably be the closest thing. I've heard that the Atlantic jump more and put on a better show than any of the other salmon. Hope you get that motor working and get some of those sea trout, I'd love to see some pictures.

5. Hey, just wondering you being from Candada and all, how did you find this site?

6. Well I know it might be odd to see a Canadian guy here on the ohiogamefishing site, but to be honest I just stumbled across this site. I read some postings and really enjoyed what I was reading. Some sites get kind of carried away with "off topics" and forget the real purpose of being in a great group sometimes. This seems to be a well organized site and I look forward to getting to know some of you and sharing my pics and stories. And yeah the Atlantic really do put up a fight. We've got a lot of people from the U.S up here right now. Fishing season just started on this past Friday. You should have seen all the guys out there. It was crazy.

7. Sure are a bunch of great guys here, and gals, and a few I'm not sure about yet!:p
    I'm sure you'll enjoy the site but we probably wont be able to give to many fishing tips to you but will sure enjoy reading about your fishing.

8. When I get home tonight I'll post the pic of the big trout that my girlfriends father caught this winter while ice fishing. It was 31 1/2 inches long. Really nice trout. We were catching a lot of cusk as well. I don't know if you've ever seen one but they kind of look like an eel. They fry up real nice. Then again what doesn't with a little batter and a deep fryer!

9. Alwsfishin

Alwsfishin '73 24' Stamas

The low speed adjustment should be turned in all the way and seated lightly, don't tighten them down you'll damage the needle ...then back it off 3/4 turn....the high speed adjustment should be backed off 1 1/2 turns....

As the motor warms up the low speed sometimes has to be adjusted further, as you gradually lower the rpm adjust the low idle accordingly to get it running smooth. The high adjustment is best done on the lake running at high rpm.