close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OKUMA Line Counter Reel Question?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Tommybouy, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Im a Cabelas Club Visa Cardholder. Every month they send out different promos w/ the statement. This months promo has an Okuma SD Series Line Counter Trolling Reel for $29.99.

Has anyone used them that could provide any feedback? I currently use Shimano Tekota and Daiwa Sea Line Line Counters :T . I dont want to use too many different brands for fear that they all are a little different counter. However $29.99 is a great deal if its a great reel!

Im interested in all feedback! Thanks in advance!

2. I have used the Magda pro dx 30 for several years on Lake Erie. In fact I lost six of em when my boat capsized. I would like more info if i can buy em for 30 ucks. Cheapet I could find the magda pro 30's was 35 plus shipping from benton harbour MI

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

not really a great reel ,compared to the daiwa's

4. Thanks Freyed Knot! Ive read your posts. I know your a troller. Im not surprised. But Had to ask!

5. I Called Cabelas And They Are Sold Out,,,they Quit Making Them So They Were On A Close Out Deal.

6. I think a long time ago the daiwas were probably better but not anymore.

7. I got rid of my Okuma's and bought Diawa. In my opinion, Diawa drags are a lot less sensitive to adjustment than Okuma and the Okuma counters were a continual problem. Can't believe that me or my fishing partners were the problem regarding the counters as all you have to do is flip the free spool lever. My 47's and 27 have never failed to work. I will admit that Okuma's do have a handle that provides more cranking power but that is the only plus I would give them. To each his own, but I'll take Diawa.

8. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Once again, Shortdrift hits the nail on the head. I haven't had any problems with the Diawa's in six years of use. I rigged a segmented lead core on the Okuma and have only used it for this season. IMHO, the Okuma's drag system doesn't seem to be as sturdy and just isn't as comfortable to operate. I also agree about the reel handle on the Okuma's...that is a Reel plus. :D

9. I wouldn't care if they were giving them away free -- no more Okuma reels on my boat. I bought two Magda line counter reels that lasted less than one season before BOTH drags permanently seized up and I could not get the LC's to reset all the way to zero. No big surprise they stopped making them.

10. IMO the Okuma Convectors are a decent reel. The 15 and 20 size reels have drags that seem to be less forgiving than I would like. The 30 size drags are quite good. Unfortunately, the reel you mentioned is not the Convector (SD are likely made cheaper). The new Okuma (Contender-I think) seem pretty nice, but cost a bit more than the Diawa LC, which, IMO are the standard foir LC trolling reels. Usually you get what you pay for.

Tim

11. I think Okuma is discontinuing the Magda pro because of the bad publicity brought on by their lousy product of a few years ago. They have significantly impoved improved that line, but obviously it still has the bad reputation. So I think they have discontinued it and it will come out as a "new and improved" version with a new name next year. I am not an everyday user, so I find them good for me. Maybe if I used em moreIwould find the durability to not be as good as a daiwa. Just my thoughts-and yours?

12. All too often manufacturers trying to break into a marketplace do so by building marginal items and they end up shooting themself in the foot.
    My first line counter and dedicated Dipsy trolling rod was an Okuma combo.
    As described, the reel was not up to snuff and the rod was much too soft.
    That experience has soured me on Okuma and I have purchased four Diawa reels and four Quantum rods since then. As stated, you get what you pay for. I'll add that I also have a Shimano line counter that I want to get rid of. It works perfectly but is metric calibration (1 counter number equals 3 feet) and is loaded with Power Pro. $30 takes it.

13. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

they may be good for only part time use, but i have had my DLC 's for 9 years now and never had a problem yet . and shortdrift, i never eased up my my drags for the last 9yrs...L.O.L. the best thing too is their resale value.

14. I thought by just looking at this particular series that it wasnt to the standard of my sealines or tekotas...

I do like the tekota a lot. I will probably stick with the sealine. (I guess I like to hand feed the drag when they make that final run!) Although, Im itching to try Abu Garcias digital line of LC's. Ive read that the LC is based on true footage of line and not revolutions of the spool!

Thank you all again for the input on this particular model of Okuma!

BTW..What series Shimano LC is for sale?

15. I've used the Abu linecounters. All I can say is that they are less than impressive. I've heard of many owners of the Abu digitals already retiring them.

Tim