Okeechobee

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by lilkev76, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Plannin a trip to Florida here soon and have always wanted to fish this lake. All of the guided tours were around $300......anyone been down there with some luck and a cheaper tour?????

2. That price is normal every lake down there. The last I heard the lake is so low you can't fish most of it.
    You would be much better off fishing Lake Istokpoga. It's about 30 miles north and has MUCH bigger fish. Spend three week every spring there and when the fishing is bad it's still good.
    It's near Sebring,just google it and you'll get lots of guides. Don Hatcher is very good.
    The first bite I got there was a 10.2, last spring we had 11 fish over 10lb and we olny fish artificial baits. If you fish shinners you might get a monster.
    WE fished a Sat. mourning pot tourney last spring with a 3 fish limit, the winner weighed over 33lbs.
    There is very little developement around the lake it's very natural Lots of wildlife,gators,eagles,and lots of snakes but its great.
    Gotta have Heavy gear there, 25lb line is the min. Heavy flippin sticks,and #5 or hooks. Try it out we love it. It's a big lake,5th largest in Fl.
    Mac

3. That price is normal every lake down there. The last I heard the lake is so low you can't fish most of it.
    You would be much better off fishing Lake Istokpoga. It's about 30 miles north and has MUCH bigger fish. Spend three week every spring there and when the fishing is bad it's still good.
    It's near Sebring,just google it and you'll get lots of guides. Don Hatcher is very good.
    The first bite I got there was a 10.2, last spring we had 11 fish over 10lb and we olny fish artificial baits. If you fish shinners you might get a monster.
    WE fished a Sat. mourning pot tourney last spring with a 3 fish limit, the winner weighed over 33lbs.
    There is very little developement around the lake it's very natural Lots of wildlife,gators,eagles,and lots of snakes but its great.
    Gotta have Heavy gear there, 25lb line is the min. Heavy flippin sticks,and #5 or hooks. Try it out we love it. It's a big lake,5th largest in Fl.
    Mac

4. we too recently thought about going to Fl and fishing there. I spent 4 hrs doing online research, posting on OGF and other sites and after much concideration we've scrapped the florida trip and heading to TX to visit family.

$300 is a good deal from what I have learned. Also, if I can find the links...okeechobee is so low on water that most boat ramps are closed.

5. CaptNate

CaptNate Pro Angler and Guide

Price sounds about right.

If you end up looking for cheap, generally that's how the charter goes...
    Only part-time / new guides charge less because of obvious reasons.

6. thtas what the $300 guys said!!!!!

7. My grandparents live in Bradenton Fla,and my Grandpa goes to Okeechobee alot and he's been tellin me its almost unfishable cus its so low.

8. Good for you!

No sport to fishing shiners!

9. i will talk to my father n aw again he lives in buckhead on one of the canals i may have misunderstood him but i swear he told me the canals were filling up but if the locks are closed the lake will stay low. i have a 6 and a 8 pounder out of the canals and lord knows how many 3 and 4s.

10. In June 2005 I used the guide below. His man took us to a lake about 35 minutes SW of Orlando. (might have been Haines City) My neighbor caught a 10 lb LM and between us we boated 20- 25 bass in the 5- 10lb. range. Missed quite a few also. It was a busy day. Remember this was in June. (Not the ideal bass fishing time) The best time to bass fish is February/March. The ramp at the lake was nothing fancy but this guy knew where the bass were hanging. I would use him again. Below is his information I copied off his web site.
    Good luck.
    For info, call Bear at 800-218-3351 or email bearbass@mpinet.net "Serious inquiries only, please."
    Gene