close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Okeechobee Guides

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PartTimeBasser, Dec 28, 2004.

1. I recently was offered an opportunity to ride along with by brother-in-law to visit his mom for a week in Fla. in late January. I didn't give it much thought initially, as I am one of those unusual folks who actually enjoy N.E.O. winters! After thinking about Florida-strain largemouth you see on all those fishing shows, I did a little checking, and found out his mom lives about 35 minutes from Lake Okeechobee. That cinched it. I'm definitely in for the drive!

My question is this: Does anyone have any first-hand experience or good recommendations on a guide for Okeechobee? I found one online who charges $250 a day for one or two people. ("Hondo's Guide Service") Sounds like a good deal for a full day, as most of the others I saw were $300 and up. I don't want to be too much of a cheapskate, but if I am looking for the best "bang for the buck".

Any words of wisdom are appreciated! :)

Tim

2. Hey I know this guy who does guiding on okeechobee. he furnishes everything from rod and reels to lunch. PM me with your e mail addresse and i will e mail it to him.

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Do a google search, but what city will you be in? If you are going to be close to Miami, I might suggest you take a canal guide and try your luck at some peacock bass. Some of them are starting to get really good size in the airport canals (5-8lbs).

4. I can't recommend any good guides. I've been down there a few times but I've got an unlce in the area who always guided us.

However, if you are without a boat and want to do some fishing without a guide, check out the canals. There are tons of canals that can be fished from shore for both LM and peacock bass. We've caught our biggest LMs down there out of the canals and this time of year is a good time to canal fish.

Steve

5. Thanks. guys, for the information. I have been doing some online checking, and now will add canal fishing" to my to do list. I will be close to Melbourne (East coast central). Will probably have to do a head boat trip on the ocean while we're there. Full days are cheap (50-60 bucks), so if time allows, that sounds like a must, also.

Tim

6. If you do the headboat thing don't let the boat operators talk you out of the fish you catch if you want keep them to eat! Some of the shadier headboat operators there like to tell tourists that the fish they caught aren't good to eat, etc. then they turn around and sell the fish to local eateries. My dad and I got fleeced out of a days catch down there one time. When we told my uncle (who is a chef) that we left the fish at the boat after the captain told us they were no good to eat, my uncle nearly crapped himself :) I don't remember exactly what we caught but apparently they were quite pricey at the local fish markets... DOH!

Of course we were probably more gullible than most :)

Steve

7. dmk

dmk

Dear Part-time

I have a nephew in Clewiston FL who is a licensed guide. His name is Paul Kinney and his cell phone number is 540-521-2687. If you should give him a call mention the fact that you got the iinformation from his Uncle David.

DMK

8. Pike

Pike