close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Okay everyone...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Put your thinking caps on for this one! Rob came up with an incredible idea tonight... Actually, one of his best.
    He thought that we might be able to locate our Canvas/Vinyl Camper Top parts (that decided to sink to the depths of West Branch a few weeks ago in the eastern ramp bay) by using our new underwater camera! Ingenious I say! But, here is where things get tricky...
    Lets say that we locate them in 15-35 feet of water. How in the world would we be able to retrieve these large pieces on canvas/vinyl. I thought of using a heavy duty magnet, until I remembered that the snaps are made of aluminum, and the zippers are made of plastic. Darn, first idea is shot dead reel quick.
    I know that there are plenty of crafty/creative people involved with this website which is why I ask you to present your ideas on how we might be able to retrieve these things if we were to locate them.
    I can't wait to hear your ideas. :D

Marcia

2. Reel Lady

His idea is getting 4 10 foot sections of conduit and connecting them with connectors according to the desired length. At the bottom, he will use a 90 connector and insert another piece of conduit as if he were making a huge letter "L".
    Basically, this "L" shaped piece of conduit will act as an arm to slip under the canvas piece and pull to the surface.
    Sounds good... don't ya think? Let's hear some of your ideas too!
    Marcia

3. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

you guys are crazy.. :D .. get some treble hooks that has weight mold into them and start snagging..if its any deeper than 15ft, you may have a problem..lol..

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I am with Crappielooker! :D Snag that bad boy and haul it in!

5. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Yeah that's how he catches all his carp;) :D

6. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

7. Snag it if your lucky enough to locate it! Much cheaper to repair the snag than replace it!

8. richards_graphics

richards_graphics Playin Hooky

going with the conduit ideal I would use medal conduit run a rope through it drill a hole at the end to be placed in the water tie end of rope to the hole let enough rope out to slip over the canvas then pull rope through conduit tighting it up on the canvas. could maybe even attach you under water cam to the pole to see what you are doing

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

time to join the polarbear club and go for a swim.
    Being a maint man not sure that the conduit will hold up agianst the weight of the canvas being pulled agianst water.

10. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

upon my second thoughts...if its at west branch, you might as well say good bye to it..its gonna be kind of hard to do some snagging when the bottom are lined with mussels..still would be kind of tough to locate it on the camera...whats the visibility like down at that depth at the moment??

11. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

My guess is that visibility will be 0 at those depths. I vote for treble hooks and snag that sucker. I've retrieved fishing rods that way. I'd try the camera though for grins and giggles.

12. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

But I offer a second vote for the low tech approach already mentioned - Rob, take a deep breath and with a pair of fins on and a facemask quickly tie a rope to it and then you can haul it aboard once your back in the boat. :D Oh, don't forget your "skivvies". ;)

13. Reel Lady

Wow, you guys have sure come up with some.... ummm.. lets say "Interesting" ideas on retrieving these things (if we were to locate them).
    Personally, I kinda like the idea of Rob squeezing into a wet suit. I think they're sexy :D

14. for the right $$$$$$$$$$ I'd get it back for ya.

15. ever think of getting a couple sump pumps and draining the lake on your own?

just a thought, gotta do it at night when no one can see you and hope taht it rains alot to fill it back up by morning :D

16. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I like the wet suit idea. Although, the sump pump idea is steller. :D

17. Drag Your Ancor Across It! ;)

18. Make a drag hook
    What you do is take 6-8 plain wire clothes hangers cut off the top hook and straighten them out. Next bend them all in half and tie all of them together at the new bend to a long length of 3/16" or 1/4" rope. Next you slide a 6-8" piece of old galvanized water pipe over the hangers up to the knot and then bend all the hangers back toward the knot to form the tines.

19. Reel Lady

Oh my gosh... Now why couldn't I have thought of that!
    Polesnatcher... I like your ideas! You get an "A" for creativity :D

20. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

If you use some big trebble hooks.file the tips so there not so sharp.Will still grab the tarps and not pierce it.