Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Relaxing.
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from chicago an me and 3 buddys are headed up to port clinton sat for a half day with Seabreeze charters and all day sunday with reel bad habit charters. Whats the conditions up there. What should i bring with me cloths wise. Thinking t-shirt, sweatshirt, rain gear should be warm enough what do you think.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wont even hazard a guess at the weather up here. I will tell you today is cloudy and pretty cool....winds blowin...probably not real comfy out on the lake but its fishable. Tommorow...your guess is as good as mine.

Mitch

·
Team OGF
2,132 Posts
I took my dad up there last Saturday. The weatherman predicted mostly sunny skies and 70+ degrees. But we almost froze out there. With the wind and the lake at 47 or so degrees. You might want to take a insulated windbreaker/jacket and a pair of gloves. Our fingers and hands were so cold they almost went numb. We launched out of Turtle Creek at 6:30am and were off the water by 1pm.

Tee

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
NE winds, 2-4's, 47 degreees: that will keep my 16 foot boat off the lake tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Will be out there some time in the morning.
heading out at Lorain or Vermillion, have to put the question to the guys.
2-4 footers taming down to 1-3 feet. Just right to pick off some botom hanging hogs.

·
Keep'n It Reel
1,543 Posts
hey dont take this the wrong way but, if you dont know if its safe or not i wouldnt recommend going out. 2-4's can be pretty nasty on erie cause there not always comin from the same direction. the waves on erie can come from all directions at one time, even if the winds are from a constant direction. best advice would take a good look at the lake and try to spot a boat out on the water, watch how it is reacting to the conditions and if you feel safe then, go for it. if not stay on shore. every captain is different and dont let the fact that someone said it would be ok, or if you see someone else go out in boat similar to yours dont assume its safe.

better to be safe then sorry.

sowbelly

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I've had my 16'er for just a year and feel the need to be conservative (especially when i take my boys) with respect to my decision to launch on Erie. Not all 16'ers are alike either. Mine is 70" wide Starcraft aluminum with 40 hp side console. 4'ers = totally soaked while moving....good luck out there...

·
Keep'n It Reel
1,543 Posts
were going out on a charter out of PC tomorrow, then following up with a trip to cabelas sunday... will post results sunday night if im not too tired from shopping...

sowbelly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts