close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ok question for all you guys that know the computers

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Fish4Fun, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Ok First is there anyway to use a regular cd burner to burn dvd's. If so how?
    Second what is needed to convert my compact vhs camcorder tapes to dvd. and can it be done without a dvd burner just using a cd burner. I am not looking to bootleg movies just want to get my movies off camcorder and onto dvd using my computer if i can.

2. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

not sure how but I think I saw at walmart something that will turn a cd burner to burn dvd's. Others will know more I am sure.
    bill

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

thanks bill i just was curious as saw some were on the net that it could be done. and mom and dad bought us a compact JVC camcorder for xmas and want to figure it out.

4. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I've never heard of burning DVDs on a regular CD burner.

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

You need a new drive...DVD burners and CD Burners are completely different. You can pick up an older generation DVD burner for around 50 bucks.

Now, as far as the camcorder goes, you have a few options. You can either get a vid capture card for your PC (prolly $50-$100 last i checked), or you can get an external box that will let you hook your camcorder/vcr to your PC (USB)...those sell around $40.

Once you rip the vid from the cam to your pc, you can do the following:

1. encode to DVD format, burn to DVD with a DVD burner (720x720 res)
    2. encode to VCD format, burn to Video CD with a standard CD Burner (320x240 res)
    3. encode to SVCD format, burn to Super Video CD with a standard Burner (480x480 res)

MOST (not all) DVD players will play a VCD, which you can author with a regular CD burner and a regular blank CD. VCD quality is comparable to VHS quality. SVCD is REAL close to DVD quality, however most DVD players won't play them, but some do.

Authoring DVD's, VCD's, SVCD's, isn't usually a walk in the park. These video formats have standard resolutions they use, so whatever video footage you want to use, will need to be encoded to their respective resolutions. It's time consuming, requires special software, and can be a pain.

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Really no need. There are programs to convert the files to VCD or something of that sort, and can be burned to typical CD's. They will then play in yoru DVD player.

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

ok thanks for all the info i think what tpet is talking about is what i was thinking also you can change any dvd to vcd then burn with a regular cd burner. like if needed to make copies of home movies for distant relatives.

8. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Jerry...keep in mind if you want to re-encode a dvd to vcd, you have to atleast have a dvd drive to read the dvd.

9. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Right i understand that shake, i would have to have a dvd drive on the computer to run the dvd.

10. Do not know how long of video you want to store and copy ? Video files can be burned onto cd but a dvd burner has like 7 times the storage capacity. 800 megabyte on the newest of cd-r as compared to 5.6 gigabyte on the dvd-rom.