close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

oil changes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by truck, Jan 20, 2005.

1. A word of warning,even if your car maker says you can go 5 to 10k miles before needing an oil chng don't beleave it unless you don't plan on keeping the car.Oil and engines are not much better than 10 years ago,alot of shops like it because it keeps them busy replacing engines. Daryl

2. catking

catking Banned

Pay me now or pay me later............. ;)

3. I use Castrol and change oil and filter every 3000 miles.

4. I believe it depends on the engine and the conditions. If a vehicle is not run hard and is in a clean environment then perhaps it can last longer between changes. If you were to watch the oil appearance throughout the cycle you could make that determination (within the mfg. guidelines of course) but most of us either do not have the time to watch the oil cleanliness or do not know enough about it to monitor it. There fore it is better to error on the safe side. I still change my at 4K-4.5K miles normally. However, I had a Jeep that could not make it even to the 4K without severely dirty oil. I ended up running Schaefer Synthetic with moly lube just to get around 4K. Once again it was a factor of the engine itself. I don't believe that the manufacturer would be intentionally steering people the wrong way because they have absolutely nothing to gain from it except for impressing the one or two people that look at it as a savings to have one less oil change a year. The warranty risks are too high for them to make that statement without feeling comfortable with it.

5. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I run 3k between changes (give or take a few miles) and use Castrol or CastrolSyntech, exclusively. I find that my engines like it, both small and large displacements. Plus, its pretty reasonable price wise.

I don't believe that engine oil on a smaller vehicle can be changed at 5 or even 10k miles. Thats absurd.

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I recently got rid of a ford ranger that I put almost 200 thousand miles on. The Engine was still running strong and I always changed my oil every 5 thousand miles.

7. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

So what's the opinions on using syn oil. Is it worth the extra money, can you run it longer? I've hear people say syn cuts the wear on your engine in half, meaning if you run syn oil, your motor with 200k miles on it will look the same as a motor running regular oil at 100k miles. ???

8. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I talked to a service tech and he said if you are changing every 3k miles, as you should, then it oesn't matter between regular and synthetic.

My FIL pulls the 5k between changes, but he has a diesel. To each their own, I guess. You won't catch me changing oil over 3500 miles - regardless of conditions. Its just too cheap to not do it.

I'm sure there are people who disagree.

9. Like I said, I went to the Schaefer synthetic (along with the moly lube) and that eliminated problems that I was having with gummy valves. Prior to that I was using Valvoline. The Schaefer is pretty expensive stuff and may be overkill for some engines but it clearly made a difference in the appearance of my engine. Unfortunately I wrecked the vehicle and so I can not speak about the extended wear on the engine.:rolleyes: It turns out the oil had no bearing on whether the vehicle would roll or not.:D

10. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

With my gmc jimmy i had i changed the oil at or around 3500 to 4000 and the truck never burnt oil and it looked like the day it went in it. I only go the extra 500 to 1000miles because of that and that i was changing the oil every 40days or so. Don't for get to grease all pts under the truck as well.

How many people still change there own oil?

11. Most newer cars/trucks don't have grease fittings any more.they found out more parts are sold that way ;) The all alum engines are the worst for breaking down oil.

12. catking

catking Banned

I have always ran Synthetic in my work vans. It's nothing for me to get 200k plus on a engine and still have it running good. I change mine every 8-10k with the synthetics and every 3-4 k with the regular. Been doing this for 30 plus years with no problems with the engines.After 8 k or so, the oil is still clear and clean . Even on my van that now has 120k on it......... CATKING

13. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

your very right truck i noticed that on my jimmy. you don't find grease fittings until you put a replacement part on then it may have one.

14. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i like castrol every 4000 miles, i got 185,000 out of my last car, till i had a run in with a deer, im a beleiver.

15. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

My FIL's 2003 Z06 Vette runs nothing but Mobil synthetic. The Chevy dealer gave us a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine (on top of the factory warr) if we keep all oil change receipts and use Mobil.

16. I Try To Change My Oil At 3000 But Its Tough. It Doesnt Take Long To Add The Miles That I Do. Im Sold On Syn. But Theres Pros And Conc To Everything We Use. I Use An All Fleet Oil 15/40 From Chevron
    In The Summer And 10/40 In The Winter In A 5.4. Change Your Oil When It Looks Dirty.by This I Mean U Cant Read The Stick. Diesels Are Alittle Different.
    As Fur The Syn. It Only Pays To Use It When It Is The First Oil Added To The Motor Because It Penetrates Iron Giving It Added Protection. Wont Help If The Blocks Been Sooked In Reg Oil. :)
    Jig

17. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Same here, castrol every 3,000 miles. I've never had engine problems in well over 35 years doing this. Cheap insurance is all I'll say.

18. crankus_maximus -"I talked to a service tech and he said if you are changing every 3k miles, as you should, then it oesn't matter between regular and synthetic"

Same thing a mechanic told me years ago. He used "cheap" oil in all his cars but changed it every 3000 miles. The one with the lowest mileage he sold had over 250,000 on it and you couldn't believe it when he removed the oil cap! My one car I sold had 300,000 on it and when I sold it the person used it as a street stock drag racer. Saw him not to long ago and it still has the original engine.

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Oh shoot, Are you guys saying I ahve to chnage my oil? I thought you just filled it uo when you bought it & your good to go!

-Okay, just kididng. I'm a 3K guy all the way. My one Jeep has 15k so I use the high mileage stuff, the other has 75k, I use SYn.