Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am amamzed at the bass that I have either heard of or seen caught this year in Ohio. Who says Ohio doesn't have big bass. You just have to have access to the right waters. I think you can catch a giant in big lakes its just much harder to catch a huge bass in a lake that hosts 3 tourneys a week rather than a small pond or lake that doesn't recieve much pressure. To research and ask permission to fish these waters goes along way for an angler looking to catch a true Ohio giant. Just make sure that you follow the rules of the land owner once you obtain permission. I pick up a bag of garbage from the private lake I fish every time that I go. And I make sure that the owner sees me do it. There is a reason that our State record is over 13lbs and a reason that it came from a farm pond. If you catch a huge fish, I think it is your decision whether you keep it or not also as long as the land owner ok's it. I would never judge a guy for keeping a fish. I still get sick when I watch the video of us releasing that 8-1/2 and 9 pounder this year. I even get sicker when I think of the 500.00 dollars its gonna take to have a fiberglass reproduction done of those two fish. They were caught back to back so I got to mount um both, right? If I catch one 10 or over, its comming out with me though. I have broken that 8lb mark several of times and they have always come from small waters. Us Buckeye anglers may not ever catch a 15 pounder in our state but, I think that the old record will be in trouble soon. Bassers, go out there and get a network of small waters and let the scales break. Look on the bright side, instead of paying 45,000 dollars for a bass boat, a jon boat, portable fish finder, battery and a trolling motor is all you need. Sweet!!!!

·
Ohio Angler
714 Posts
You're right, likensrus. The best way to get access to those private waters is to address the landowner with manners like mom & dad taught us, clean up as much trash as possible, leave the lake/pond cleaner than we left, and thank the owner when leaving.

I believe that the big fish are in the larger public lakes but they've gotten wise to us tossing plastic and metal at them all day. But those pond/private lake fish aren't quite as 'up to speed' on our techniques. So sneak up on 'em quietly, toss 'em a soft plastic of some sort and HANG ON!

Good luck to you this year - and hopefully I get my first 8lber before you get your next one ;)

Bob

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
i dont think the record will ever be broken, theres a few pitts and ponds that have 8-9lb fish, but i think the number of places in ohio that have honest ten pound fish, can be counted with your fingers
most of the big bass you hear about are hugely exzagerated fish, i have heared atleast a dozen people (clueless people) talk about ponds with bass that where probably 20lbs, i have seen 16in fish called 7lbs
i know there has been 10lb fish wieghed at cc, but that was 25 years ago, burr oak has had them wieghed, someone show me a pic of a 10lb fish in ohio wieghed on a certified scale (tounament) and ill add some more lakes to the list, the 13lbs that was a fluke

·
Registered
675 Posts
I agree with river king...most people are clueless. I read an article in a magizine that it would take an average of 3 lifetimes for an average angler to catch a 15lb fish, fishing some of the best public water in the country. This was calculated based on the number of fish that size per acre of water. But i will agree that there are some very large bass in ohio, but they are almost all in gravel pits and bodies of water that most people arnt allowed to fish. people claiming 10 lb bass in little farm pounds are just oblivious. Its not going to happen unless they were stocked there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont think the record will ever be broken, theres a few pitts and ponds that have 8-9lb fish, but i think the number of places in ohio that have honest ten pound fish, can be counted with your fingers
most of the big bass you hear about are hugely exzagerated fish, i have heared atleast a dozen people (clueless people) talk about ponds with bass that where probably 20lbs, i have seen 16in fish called 7lbs
i know there has been 10lb fish wieghed at cc, but that was 25 years ago, burr oak has had them wieghed, someone show me a pic of a 10lb fish in ohio wieghed on a certified scale (tounament) and ill add some more lakes to the list, the 13lbs that was a fluke
I guess I could be wrong. I did talk to a young kid the other day that told me that he caught a 25 pound largemouth. I was pretty sure that he was kinda clueless. However, if I take some of the records from surrounding states like Penssylvania ( 11lbs-3oz ), Indiana ( 14lbs-12oz caught in a lake by a girl ), West Virginia ( 12lbs-2oz caught in a Pond in 2001 ), Michigan ( 11lbs-15oz.), Illinois ( 13lbs-1oz ) then I dont have a real hard time believing that a 10-11-12-13-14 pound fish could be swimming in a private lake somewhere in Ohio. And thats all I was trying to say. I just hope that I get to that lake before all of the clueless and oblivious bass anglers do. When I lived in Mississippi, the state record stood at 14lbs for many years. Then one day, on Natchez lake, it was shattered by over 4lbs. Keep the faith guys. By the way- the best private lake that I fish is not a gravel pit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right, likensrus. The best way to get access to those private waters is to address the landowner with manners like mom & dad taught us, clean up as much trash as possible, leave the lake/pond cleaner than we left, and thank the owner when leaving.

I believe that the big fish are in the larger public lakes but they've gotten wise to us tossing plastic and metal at them all day. But those pond/private lake fish aren't quite as 'up to speed' on our techniques. So sneak up on 'em quietly, toss 'em a soft plastic of some sort and HANG ON!

Good luck to you this year - and hopefully I get my first 8lber before you get your next one ;)

Bob
Good luck to you this year. I hope you catch an 8lb before I catch my next dink. ( thats a small fish for you non tourney guys ). Pre-Spawn is definitly the time to do it so hurry up and start chunkin. Have fun Bob.

Butch

·
Registered
304 Posts
I read an article about 10 years ago from the dnr about the record bass.It was caught in a pond that was also stocked with trout.And they said that is the only reason that fish got so big in Ohio.Fatty trout bites.
But its only logical that there are alot more above average bass out there.With three mild winters in a row,they have had alot more feeding and growing time.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yeah, the state record LM came from a 30+ acre gravel pit that was loaded /stocked with 9-11" rainbow trout for many years and certainly contributed to the extreme growth of Ohio's "Castiac-ish" State record!

I might even know the exact GPS coordinates of that pit but since the record, i heard the pressure went up so fast the max size declined quickly but it is still full of trout bellied bass.

And no...dont even ask;)

Salmonid

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
"take some of the records from surrounding states like Penssylvania ( 11lbs-3oz ), Indiana ( 14lbs-12oz caught in a lake by a girl ), West Virginia ( 12lbs-2oz caught in a Pond in 2001 ), Michigan ( 11lbs-15oz.), Illinois ( 13lbs-1oz ) "

both WV and indiana have fewer anglers and much better regs, but indianas fish is right at the max size for northern largemouth, i can believe WV 12lb fish because of the waters they have and how little pressure they get. both PA and mich. are much better examples of what ohio may be capable of growing. one of the major factors for really big bass in ohio is pressure, and ohio has alot of anglers compared to many states because of its high population. if it takes a bass 12 years to make it to 10lbs in ohio its probably been caught, and most people would keep a bass over 7 in ohio. it also takes not only time but lucky genetics, fertile lakes, stable food populations over time ect. top size aside with more info on catching bass out there than ever before and more people trying to catch them you have one major point more than correct, in the next few years we will probably see more big bass caught around here than we have ever seen. what we need to worry about is how do we keep it going, a 7lb fish can be caught by 5 people in a pond but it only takes one person keeping it to remove its genetics and probly the biggest fish in the system

and congrats on the pigs, and releasing them, makes you sick now what if you catch one of those two in three years..

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know that I caught one about 4 years ago from an Ohio private pond that went 10 pounds 3 oz. Then caught an 8 pounder 2 casts later. There are some major hawgs in Ohio and I believe the record will be broken soon. Let's see if the Akron mayor is ready to run a lottery to fish Lake Rockwell. Bass are probably just the beginning of record breaking there. VERY MUCH OFF LIMITS. I think I have a picture of that bass in my photo album here. It was from Ohio but not Rockwell. Let's do it right this year and try to break that record. Good Luck everyone.

·
It's Miller Time!
1,368 Posts
I lost a fish at shore 4 years ago that was about 7-8 pounds, and it's at a private pond and i might be crazy, but i think it's gotta be close to a state record, it is at least 11lbs, there is another fish in there that is 7 or 7.5 that i saw caught last year on live bluegill. I think bigger lures or live lures, or the combination haha. The hard part is getting them to bite.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know that I caught one about 4 years ago from an Ohio private pond that went 10 pounds 3 oz. Then caught an 8 pounder 2 casts later. There are some major hawgs in Ohio and I believe the record will be broken soon. Let's see if the Akron mayor is ready to run a lottery to fish Lake Rockwell. Bass are probably just the beginning of record breaking there. VERY MUCH OFF LIMITS. I think I have a picture of that bass in my photo album here. It was from Ohio but not Rockwell. Let's do it right this year and try to break that record. Good Luck everyone.
As Roland would say " son, son, son, son, son, I got a big one, I got a big one, big bass, big bass, big bass. Did the water level go down when you took that one out. Hey Fishinmagician, I didn't see any gravel pits or trout jumpin out of the water in the background of that picture. Great fish dude. Like I said, get a network of small waters and catch a true Ohio Giant. Sweet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"take some of the records from surrounding states like Penssylvania ( 11lbs-3oz ), Indiana ( 14lbs-12oz caught in a lake by a girl ), West Virginia ( 12lbs-2oz caught in a Pond in 2001 ), Michigan ( 11lbs-15oz.), Illinois ( 13lbs-1oz ) "

both WV and indiana have fewer anglers and much better regs, but indianas fish is right at the max size for northern largemouth, i can believe WV 12lb fish because of the waters they have and how little pressure they get. both PA and mich. are much better examples of what ohio may be capable of growing. one of the major factors for really big bass in ohio is pressure, and ohio has alot of anglers compared to many states because of its high population. if it takes a bass 12 years to make it to 10lbs in ohio its probably been caught, and most people would keep a bass over 7 in ohio. it also takes not only time but lucky genetics, fertile lakes, stable food populations over time ect. top size aside with more info on catching bass out there than ever before and more people trying to catch them you have one major point more than correct, in the next few years we will probably see more big bass caught around here than we have ever seen. what we need to worry about is how do we keep it going, a 7lb fish can be caught by 5 people in a pond but it only takes one person keeping it to remove its genetics and probly the biggest fish in the system

and congrats on the pigs, and releasing them, makes you sick now what if you catch one of those two in three years..
Thanks. What makes those two fish special is that my son caught them. I still don't think he realizes how lucky he was. I never discussed with the land owner if I could keep fish but, my son wanted to release them and I thought it should be his decision. We got some video of the fish swimmin off. Just think - I was just getting ready to tell him that the rattletrap wasn't going to work!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts