Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WRWA and Buckeye walleye trail are merging together to start a Central Basin Walleye Circuit.I think this will be a great thing for Walleye anglers that fish from Geneva to Conny.The WBSA has there circuit.No reason why the Central shouldn't have there own.I think this should have been done years ago.What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
106 Posts
why not merge all of the them and call it the lake erie circuit? There are a number of different ways to fish erie and what a great challenge to see if all different techniques work in different tournaments. I think that would be great, as i have fished from west to east.

just my two cents, and i could be way off here as i am still a newbie!.

Bryan
erireye

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
WRWA and Buckeye walleye trail are merging together to start a Central Basin Walleye Circuit.I think this will be a great thing for Walleye anglers that fish from Geneva to Conny.The WBSA has there circuit.No reason why the Central shouldn't have there own.I think this should have been done years ago.What does everyone else think?
sounds like a few more tournaments coming to Geneva/ash and conny---i like it :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why not merge all of the them and call it the lake erie circuit? There are a number of different ways to fish erie and what a great challenge to see if all different techniques work in different tournaments. I think that would be great, as i have fished from west to east.

just my two cents, and i could be way off here as i am still a newbie!.

Bryan
erireye
I think alot of Northeastern ohio guys would like to keep it local.Alot of guys don't want to travel 2hrs.or better.JMO

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think joining them together is the best idea(wbsa & central). No sense in two groups competing. If they compete the end result will be 2 trails with small fields. Many participants from the WBSA are from the cleveland area.

Thats why walleye tournaments are struggling to fill. The slow economy certainly does not help.

$200-$300 entry per team. 3-4 tournaments with a chapionship. 75 to 100 field. 100% payback. Pay the top 15-20%. 75 boats.... not a problem! For that kind of cabbage people will not mind the 2 hr drive.

Sounds like the Michigan Walleye Trail except for Ohio! OWT!!!

Build it and they will come!

I bet the folks from both groups would not mind splitting the work up!

Port Clinton, Vermillion, Cleveland, Geneva/Ash, Lorain.

·
Dr Data
732 Posts
Dumb question .... WRWA and Buckeye walleye trail are merging together to start a Central Basin Walleye Circuit

What is their motivation for combining the two and what would be the motivation for a WBSA?

I am probably missing something here

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,510 Posts
Here is what John posted in the tourney forum. I spoke with John over the phone over the weekend about this new circuit(s) and I am going to try and make the meeting on the 14th to hear and see what it's all about. I encourage any other angler that may have interest to do the same. I hope I can make the meeting though.

The Western Reserve Walleye Association and The Buckeye Walleye Trail have joined forces to create what promises to be the premier team walleye tournament circuit in Ohio: The Ohio Walleye Federation!

• Would you like to know how many teams/boats are fishing each event before the season starts?
• How about knowing what the guaranteed payouts are as well?
• Do you like low entry fees?
• Do you like rewarding payouts?
• Are you interested in lucrative points payouts?
• Do you like trophies and plaques?
• How about a flexible season?
• Like to fish inland lakes?
• Like to fish Lake Erie?
• Do you like to fish both?
• Would you like to be a part of a circuit that will continue to grow and expand?
• Are you interested in competing for the prestige of The Ohio Walleye Cup?

If you answered yes to the questions above, the Ohio Walleye Federation wants you to join us for our kickoff meeting Monday, September 14th – 6pm at Vic’s Sports Center, 2039 Tallmadge Rd., Kent, OH 44240. 330-673-7600.

We will be presenting the complete details of the circuit at this meeting. Food and beverages will be provided. As a courtesy to our hosts, please RSVP with the number attending by Thursday, September 10th to [email protected] or call 330-881-0994. Please share this info with any who may be interested. If you are interested, but can’t attend please e-mail your contact information or call as above.

If you want to be a part of the most challenging, rewarding and AFFORDABLE team walleye circuit in Ohio we urge you to attend! Your attendance at this meeting is critical to the success of this circuit and the future of affordable tournament walleye fishing in our region. We look forward to seeing you at Vic’s on the 14th!

Here’s a sneak peak at the Ohio Walleye Federation plan:

• The OWF will feature 2 distinct circuits. An Inland Lake Circuit (ILC) and a Central Basin/Lake Erie Circuit (CBC)
o You can compete in either one or both, the choice is yours
o Teams fishing both circuits will be eligible for the Ohio Walleye Cup

• Each circuit will have a locked field prior to the circuits start
o You will know how many teams are fishing prior to the start of the circuit
o You will know what the guaranteed payouts are in advance

• The 2 circuit concept provides for flexibility and choice
o The ILC will have 2 qualifiers and a 2 day championship
 The ILC will run April - June
o The CBC will have 2 qualifiers and a 2 day championship
 The CBC will run July – September
o If you want a short season or only fish inland lakes or Lake Erie, choose one or the other
o If you prefer a longer, more challenging season, fish them both!

• Payouts: Both circuits will have the following projected payouts based on a 25 boat locked field in each. Payouts will increase proportionally if the locked field size is greater than 25. Rather than promise payouts based on unrealistic field sizes, we have chosen a reasonably attainable field size. The locked fields should easily reach this number or greater.

o Qualifiers
1st:$1,000
2nd:$500
3rd:$250
4th:$150
5th:$100

o Championships
1st: $2,000
2nd:$1,000
3rd:$500
4th:$300
5th:$200

o Points – the ILC & CBC will have these projected points payouts per circuit (25 boat locked field)
1st: $1000
2nd: $500
3rd:$250

o Ohio Walleye Cup - projected points payout for teams fishing both the ILC & CBC
 The Ohio Walleye Cup Trophy (passes year to year to the OWC Champs)
1st: $1,000

• Entry Fees: No single event entries will be available. The deposit or total amount will be due (see below) by the proposed entry cut-off date for each circuit you want to fish to secure your spot in the locked field.

Inland Lake Circuit: $ 450 total per team including qualifiers, championship and team membership.
Entry cutoff date March 11, 2010. First Come – First Serve. Field locked on 3/11/2010.

Full Payment Plan: $400 due by 3/11/2010. Save $50 and get 1st draw for boat # in qualifiers!

Installment Plan: $250 due by 3/11/2010. $200 balance due by 4/8/2010.

Central Basin Circuit: $ 450 total per team including qualifiers, championship and team membership.
Entry cutoff date June 17, 2010. First Come – First Serve. Field locked on 6/17/2010.

Full Payment Plan: $400 due by 6/17/2010. Save $50 and get 1st draw for boat # in qualifiers!

Installment Plan: $250 due by 6/17/2010. $200 balance due by 7/15/2010.

Ohio Walleye Cup: Enter both circuits by the cutoff dates as outlined above.

·
Dr Data
732 Posts
Thanks Kgone!

If it were an hour later I could skid into the parking lot as the meeting starts...

·
Registered
63 Posts
the people running the tournament get paid by sponsors.[
As the prior tournament director of the BWT and one of the guys trying to put the OWF together I can assure you that the people running the BWT, WRWA or eventually the OWF tournaments do not get paid. It is 100% volunteer. All membership fees, entry fees and sponsor money collected is either paid back in tournament winnings, points or is put towards the club for expenses such as insurance, tournament scale etc...

There have been a lot of good ideas posted in this thread and they may happen in due time. Will there be changes in 2011 to make it better definitely, but we need to start somewhere .

What it comes down to is that both the WRWA and the BWT were losing members and interest in each clubs formats. The 2010 proposed season promises to be a new chapter as the OWF tests the waters to see where the real interests lie for walleye tournament anglers.

The biggest changes are going to be a shorter season for the inland circuit (the clubs traditional circuit) and a lake erie circuit (new central basin circuit).
There will also be an Ohio Cup for the team that does the best overall in both circuits. Keep in mind that the points for the ohio cup is coming from a sponsor, so if you are only fishing one circuit or another all of your entry money is staying within the circuit you are fishing.

What we need from fellow anglers is support. If you would like to see more qualifiers or bigger tournament circuits than fish with us now. Even though it may not be exactly what you would like, it will show that there is backing for a bigger better walleye circuit for next year and the year after that and the year after that....

The only guarantees I can give are that you will make life long friends, have fun and learn more about fishing than you ever thought you would. Both of these clubs have a great bunch of guys.

Hope to see everyone at the meeting.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i would hate to be in your guys shoes right now (tourny directors, club presidents, so forth) times are tough, economy is really hurting walleye tournament fishing everywhere. In my opionion this set up looks really great. I think most of the walleye teams that will fish these tournys are doing it more for the love of walleye fishing,and bragging rights (lol) than the money. it looks like your keeping entry fees low eneough to keep these people interested. im from the southwestern part of ohio, 4 hour drive to the meeting i just hope the tournys are spread out across ohio not all up in the northeast part of the state. i think something west of cleveland on lake erie would be a good idea, indian lake for the inland lake would draw more teams from our way, its kind of centrally located in ohio. Good luck in your new adventure and please keep us posted to how this all shapes up.

·
walleyes and whitetails
384 Posts
i too think things look pretty good also. i fish the western ohio and we too struggle with numbers. i would love to fish your circuit however i too hope they would not all be in the northwest. as my name says alum creek is a large inland lake for ohio and could handle your boats also has some great fishing in it now i know everyone has their favorite lakes i am just name one great one. does anyone know how far kent is from delaware?

·
walleyes and whitetails
384 Posts
i too think things look pretty good also. i fish the western ohio and we too struggle with numbers. i would love to fish your circuit however i too hope they would not all be in the northeast. as my name says alum creek is a large inland lake for ohio and could handle your boats also has some great fishing in it now i know everyone has their favorite lakes i just named one great one. does anyone know how far kent is from delaware?

·
Registered
256 Posts
the people running the tournament get paid by sponsors.
We should be so fortunate! Everyone involved with the WRWA, the BWT and the new Ohio Walleye Federation are 100% non-paid volunteers. After the operating expenses (insurance, permits, trophies & plaques etc.) the entry fees, sponsor donations etc. all go to the teams fishing the circuit. We do this becuase we believe in our sport and want to keep it alive. That, in and of itself, is enough reward for us.

·
Registered
256 Posts
How about a Hawgfest every weekend?
There is a hawg fest every weekend. We've had teams pull 25#+ bags for a five fish limit out of inland lakes and we've seen 40# bags during the Migration Open. On the flip side, sometimes it's being able to put together a limit when the bite is really tough that earns a check!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.