close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio Supreme Court Justice Alice Robie Resnick DUI

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by atrkyhntr, Feb 2, 2005.

1. She's supposed to uphold the law, but Ohio Supreme Court Justice Alice Robie Resnick is accused of breaking it.

The justice faces drunken driving charges after a state trooper arrested Justice Resnick after receiving several calls of an erratic driver in Wood County.

Six 911 calls came in Monday about the erratic driving they'd seen.

Officials say they were able to locate the vehicle described in the calls, a gold Jeep Grand Cherokee. The car belonged to Ohio Supreme Court Justice Alice Robie Resnick.

The trooper who stopped her says she identified herself right away as such. After asking her to take part in an eye test, he says she refused and then, "rolled up her window and took off."

Ohio Highway Patrol video revealed what happened when the trooper caught up with Justice Resnick on I-75 South, just south of Bowling Green.

Once out of the car, she said she was embarrassed and claimed she had not been drinking.

The field test results contradict that. The trooper says the odor of alcohol was, "strong."
    She failed six of six eye tests, and the portable breathalyzer result was .216, which is over twice the legal limit.

Once arrested and back at a highway patrol post, Justice Resnick refused to take a breathalyzer.

Her driver's license was suspended, explains the trooper as, "a result of the refusal."

I wonder if she'll get out of this one??? I hope she looses her seat over the whole mess she created...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Shw will get out of it.
    She just greese a few palms and the ticket and accusations will misteriously disapear.
    She shock parole a few cons that are members of a select family or two and she be in the clear.
    She just happened to be the one that gets caught.
    If she wouldn't have took off after the first stop, we would have not even herd about it.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

It figures. She'll get out of it.

4. :eek:She better not get out of that one! That is a ridiculous level to blow. It is not like she was borderline and someone can cut her a break. She was well into the level of becoming a danger to herself and more importantly everyone around her. How would you feel knowing that someone was driving out there around you or your family members and being that far out of it? She better get what anyone else would get or there will be a lot of people screaming mad.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. crankus_maximus

1st offender DUI convictions are a joke in Ohio. My sister-in-law's father was taken about 8 years ago by a drunken driver (I'm not talking a few here, I'm talking can't stand up straight). I have little to no tolerance for drivers with a substantial amount of alocohol in their system.

She should:

#1 - Lose her law license.

#2 - Be removed from the bench.

#3 - Pay a huge fine for breaking laws that she is supposed to uphold.

#4 - Never be allowed to take a state job or hold a public office, EVER.

#5 - Have her pension removed and distributed to law enforcement widows trust funds.

#6 - Suspend her driver's license for at least 1 year.

6. I thought the most interesting thing was that this old bat was 65 years old and was plastered at 2 in the afternoon on a Monday. Musta had a Barley and Hops lunch chased down with a few martinis. I might have a little more sympathy if it was 2AM on Saturday.

If I were a judge I'd recommend life in prison or that she face the guillotine.
    Yes, being a public official, I am sure there is some type of "Code of Conduct" that she must adhere to and I think that she could easily lose her job.

Off the subject a little, I think some of these people using cell phones and driving are just as dangerous as drunk drivers. Some people just can't do two things at once. It seems like 3-4 times I week I see a near crash and come to find the person at fault has a cell phone glued to their ear.

7. Sheephead Master,

I certainly won't argue that cell phone usage while driving creates a risk. However, at the same time there were concerned drivers who used those same cell phones to get this lady off the roads before she did harm.;) They do serve a useful purpose as well, but I am sure like yyou said most times the call being made were of non-emergency nature.

8. catking

catking Banned

We hold people in her position at a higher standard , and we should. What message is she sending to the people of this state ?? She won't get out of this . I'll be interested to see what happens........ CATKING :)

9. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Dito; I certainly can and do agree with this.

Now, back to the original point. There is absolutely no excuse for what occured here and it's pretty clear she was cold busted with the video evidence. She WILL NOT get off with a slap on the wrist though. She will do her 3 days in a DIP program, pay the fines, have her license suspended for a period and make a public apology and be done with it. Another thing that WILL NOT happen is the revocation of her law license. The law is clear in it's definition for the penaties that are leveled for each incident. it doesn't take into consideration the person's occupation. If I'm not mistaken, she can be asked to resign but can't be fired since that is an appointed position (maybe someone can clarify this).
    So rather than rush to judgement here, why not just wait and see how this whole thing plays out.

10. catking

catking Banned

Many states are making it illegal to use a cell phone while driving. I'll say all states will within a couple years. If ONE person loses their life because of somebody using a cell phone, that is one too many. While driving you are suppose to pay attention to the freakin road and nothing else. Nobody can say that your concentration is as good using one compared to not using one. CATKING

11. ..you and me both... well I had one and resigned back in 80 and I would be retired now if I had stayed [​IMG]

12. catlover

catlover Banned

Anybody remember Bucky Rienhart. He went on his rampage in Columbus about 10 years ago. They had him drunk driving on the news and abusing reporters.
    Catz

13. Well after watching the video clip and reading some of the transcripts of calls to 911 I don't see how anyone can come to any conclusion other than she was wasted and is lucky to be still alive.
    So there is a way out for her. If a judge revises her suspension there will be some major hell raised.

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the charges are misdemeanor,which she cannot be fired from her for.though i believe she should be,it can't be done.as for the license suspension,it is mandated by the state,and not the courts.which means automatic 1 year for refusing the breathalizer test.which means the local courts have no say in the matter.but she could find a "loophole" or get a "favor" ;)
    i won't go into detail,but i was wrongfully pulled over several years ago(reynoldsburg),cited,and refused all roadside tests and the breath test.got the automatic 1 year suspension by the state.took it to franklin county court and had charges reduced,and received a "favor",which resulted in getting my license returned.the "favor" was granted because the judge knew i had done nothing to warrant being pulled over in the first place.
    the automatic suspension is for refusing the test only.it has nothing to do with whether you're drinking or not.if you're stone sober and refuse,you will lose your license for 1 year.it's possible you could get it overturned,but not very likely.mine was a rare case,and i drew probably the one of the best and most fair minded judges around :)

15. catlover

catlover Banned

As to her not being "fired" over the offence. The fact that it was a misdomeanor isn't the only issue. There could well be somthing in the terms and conditions of her position defining wilful misconduct, inappropriate actions or morals charges, all of which could apply. I know of several people who were teminated from positions in the private sector for DUI. Company policy demanded immediate termination.

16. Forgive me since my legal background isn't quite that of The Misfit's Esquire but I would sure think if you are driving around in a state vehicle that means you are on state time and if you get picked up for DUI, you were drunk on the job and operating property of the state in the state while inebriated which would make the state liable if any accidents were to occur which I would think the state could shite can you for. I do agree with Rick that they won't fire her though. For crying out loud, she has bundles of "Woman of the Year" awards according to the state Supreme Court webpage. Her resume also list her as "a member of the Ohio Bar Association." I just found that kinda funny.
    http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/Justices/resnick/default.asp

Her resume also says that she is a public speaker that specializes in ethics; professionalism; substance abuse; personal safety; public awareness of the legal system; and the elective process.

Who is Bucky Rheinhart? Sounds like an old NASCAR driver to me.

17. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Actually, it's hilarious...Good one! :D

18. crankus_maximus

Excellant research Sheepshead!

Brilliant!

Genious!