close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio State fires basketball coach O'Brian

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by flathunter, Jun 9, 2004.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I heard a rumor on espn that the Buckeyes just may go after Bobby Knight, Do we want him????

2. I think O'Brien got a raw deal. But I would bring in Knight. What can it hurt? They'll have to bring in a big name to justify firing Obi.

3. As an active OSU Alum, ticket holder, and fan - I'm glad to see Jimmy go! Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good guy and he's a great person, but he has failed miserably for the last 2 seasons to motivate anybody to play basketball. Why :confused: I'd like an answer since it has been the strength of his programs in the past. I wish Jimmy the best - somewhere else.

I say we want Knight. Yes, he's over the top with some of his non-pc, old-school thinking, but he knows how to coach. And I can assure you he knows how to motivate a team. :p

Hey, who cares anyway, isn't OSU a football school??? :D

4. I bet Jim Tressel could do a better job than both of them. Only if he had the time.

5. Knight just agreed to an extension at TT.

I would have LOVED to see Knight back at OSU!

6. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Yeah, Knight has AGREED to an extension, verbally...but he is on vacation in Canada right now (he must like to fish because that's the only reason to go up there!), and he hasn't signed anything. The report says that he is expected to sign it next week. He is currently getting 250,000/yr from TT. I bet if OSU comes in with 6-8 TIMES that, that extension doesn't get signed!

7. jack kiser

jack kiser buckeyeangler.com

If OSU hadn't been so notoriously scared of scheduling Cincy these past two decades, they might still have an outside shot at Bob Huggins,who consistently outperforms and outrecruits OSU without the bigger school's prestige.They actually could have had him back when but they chose Randy Ayres instead.Brilliant...

8. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

personally i think knight and huggins are both great coaches.but i think osu should go the same route they did when they hired tressel.go find a winning college coach at a smaller school who is ready to make the step into the big time schools.
    i really like bob knight but i really think hiring him would not be the wisest move osu could make.he's certainly not in the prime of his coaching carreer and they don't need the periodic problems that would come with him.

9. Thad Matta is exactly what you just described.

Huggins is hardly what a team on probation (which the Buckeyes will be) needs. We have enough problems with football players getting arrested.

10. FOBU

FOBU

are you kidding me,,knight would be terrible here,huggins also
    bring in a proven winner who has strong ties to the school
    JIM CLEAMONS,,ex-buckeye and now 8 nba championship rings,,working on number 9,, and has already said that if offered the job he would love to coach here,,he knows probation and loss of some scholarships are coming,,
    we need someone like him here now,,get this program back to being a competitive force on a national level in the right way.............

11. catking

catking Banned

He won't leave Cincinnati. He passed up the NBA for our city. Thad Motta would be a great choice. I always liked Bobby Knight, but his past 8 years or so, he should have been kicked out of basketball. You don't treat kids like that, in my opinion. There are alot of fine young coaches out there. Ohio ST needs somebody to turn them around. But the again, I've followed them for 37 years or so,and they never had a great team. Some colleges are football. CATKING

12. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

13. CW03

CW03

14. Thad Matta it is!

Great choice imho.

15. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Keep in mind though......although he is a great coach, it's going to be a few years before he can build an empire. Once the NCAA does their investigation on the whole OBrien case, there will likely be probation and scholarship cuts made to OSU due to that. But.....Matta is a fantastic choice. :) Thanks Xavier ;)

16. Mike DeCourcy with the sporting news was on a local (Cincinnati) sports talk show today and he doesn't seem to think the hammer will come down too hard on the Buckeyes. Lets hope he was right!