close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio Stadium to get flooded by the Old 'n tangy river?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Alter, Jan 13, 2005.

1. My sister works at Battelle, next to tOSU campus, and I guess they were just informed that the Olentangy might rise quite a bit more then expected due to rain and water release from Delaware. I saw the article posted earlier today by Shake and that article makes it seem like the flooding won't be any worse then what has already occured?

Any word from the locals on how bad the Olentangy is going to flood or has anyone heard about them letting a lot of water through the dam at Delaware?

Steve

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

My wife works for OSU hospitals, and told me a few minutes ago that they had to evac all of the hospitals' research animals, because that area/building is real close to flooding. They are currently contemplating if they need to evac Morril/Lincoln towers (dorm and office towers that sit right in front of the stadium). No word on the stadium as of yet, but it's not lookin real good.

3. Crap, I spent most of my adult life as a student at tOSU and I never remember the river getting near that high...'course I don't remember much from those days :confused: ;)

Steve

Edit: typos on posts when you are talking about your alma mater are a bad thing :)

4. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

i have a pond at work that probably will get flooded. that will suck the fish are starting to get decent size. Hopefully they wont all leave the pond, course i will probably get a ton of carp.

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Steve...Sounds like you did it right then ;) Aside from a few "marks" on my record, I don't remember much either :D

6. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

My wife also works for the OSU Hospital, but she actually works in the Research building (getting her PhD). She mad no mention of evacuating her animals. Thats odd. Well, I guess there are 14 vivariums on campus in different buildings. Anywho, it would be wierd to see all of those buildings with water around them.

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Delware is cranking........but not as bad as it could be. They are only pushing water with the bottom sluice gates. They have not resorted to the tainter gates at the top yet. If they do that........look out downriver :( They are at 102.2% of the max outflow. Outflow at Delaware is 4376 right now. Max w/directive is 4282.00. Pretty impressive. That's about 100 higher than yesterday. To give those w/o a clue what I'm talking about. Good wading levels in there are around 158. Good Saugeye flow is about 288-400. Now you see what I'm talking about :D

8. I have no idea what level it would take to get into the stadium but I am sure that if it is getting close the news channels will cover it. Anyway here is probably the best spot to check its progress throughout the next few days.

Olentangy at Worthington

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Forgot to add. The lake has come up about 1/2 foot since yesterday. It's about 2' from rolling over uncontrollably over the top of the tainter gates. With the rain we received up here yesterday/last night (Olentangy starts up here), the rivers are still swollen and I look for delaware to reach flood pool before it drops. Should be interesting :)

10. It looked like most areas received less than 1" of rain yesterday so that should really help. I don't know that the rain yesterday will have too much additional impact on the conditions. The big thing left now is for all of the already swollen streams to recede. I think the freeze that is starting will really help them out as it should hold some of the water in and on the ground. Also, the higher the reservoir goes the more volume it will hold so I am guessing it will be able to keep up with the inflow from this point on. But it sure came close. The may be some considerable flooding in some areas down below though because they will have to continue releasing water at a pretty good rate for a while.

There are several other reservoirs across the Scioto and Muskingum basins that were in the same spot with levels very near the top. This mess kept some people real busy managing the levels.

11. KATCHASER

KATCHASER GOD Bless Fishermen!

Hey everyone, I work for OSU as a buyer for their maintenance division right across the street from the Ohio Satdium and we have moved all equipment and important files as we continue to be told that it may get bad over the next couple of days. I have been a student and worked for the University over the last twenty years and cannot remember the staduim ever being in danger of flood waters. Hopefully this is all precautionary and nothing comes of it.

12. Flooding the stadium will wash all of the NCAA violations away. And where is Clarett when you need him. I've got a squee-gee he can use!!!!!!!!

My wife works at Batelle too, and she was told that today was a dress-down day because they may need to move stuff to higher floors. I told her to be happy that she got moved to the fifth floor.

Eric

13. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Hey TPET... those flow levels sound AWESOME! Maybe I should bring my canoe down there and try it out! :D :p ;)