close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio River, Sunday April 3rd

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by BuckeyeFishinNut, Mar 10, 2005.

1. I am planning on going down to hit the Rayland area and Pike Island dam on April 3rd (first day of daylight savings). I wanna check out the area and see if any carp have moved in before the OCC (Ohio Carp Crew) event april 22-24. I wanna drop off a lil chum and wet a few lines. If nothing is happening up there I plan on hitting below Pike Island Dam in the tailwaters. Something should be moving down there, and if nothing is goin on down there I have a few other spots to try. Anyone who wants to come along or meet up with me at Rayland is more than welcome, especially if you are planning on attending the OCC event and wanna check out the area. I grew up in that area so I know plenty of spots. Let me know if your interested.

Jake

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Hey man, the way i see April for me right now....Its going to be a BUSY month.

8-10 East Harbor CAG event.
    15-17 prefer for the OCC event.
    21 again prefish...22-24 fish the OCC event.
    29-1.....????fish either local or head back to the big river(depending on how the past 2 weekends go).

Scott

3. What is the biggest carp anybody has caught from the Ohio River. The river is good for numbers, but I'nve never seen anything over 15 lbs taken from it, but that was long ago - well before zebra mussels invaded it.

4. Last October, maybe early november in a day we put over 70 carp/buffalo suckers on the bank with a solid 10-15 over 15lbs and probably 5 or so over 20lbs. Thats late season, I am scared to see what might surface in june or july.

Jake

5. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

june..july..lets see.. jetskiers, pleasure boaters, toobers..etc.. need i go on.. heh heh.. :p
    i would love to see what we can pull out of there during the summer too.. i'm sure it'll be great no matter what.. :)

6. Below Pike Island dam there is no entry from the start of the lock all the way to the dam. You never see a boat, jetski or anything like that. Only fisherman and fish. I hardly ever really see pleasure boaters on the river up by where i fish even away from the dam.

Jake

7. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

no kiddin?? no jetskis?? maaan..i'm there!!.. lol
    the last time i went to rayland to look around, i saw that barge and my itch to fish just got to me baad..lol the whole area looks nice, as long as the river aren't up.. and raging..

8. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Jakes right Ak, no boats below the dams. As far as pleasure boaters and skiers...hardly ever see them at our spots away from the dam too......only boats you will see are barges..lol...they can be a pain just because of how much water they can push ahead of them..and how much they suck out going away. Other than the 1,000,000,000 candle power spot lights they have on top that they use to search for markers can certainly be the biggest pain of all. I think the reason you dont see to many pleasure boaters is because theres always stuff floating(trees, logs,ect. ) in the river..also too many nice safe lakes to do that stuff in(thank goodness).

As far as SIZE...lol....not really sure about the area around your way GMR, but out where we fish the carp run BIG and pentiful. During the middle of the day in the summer when other species slowed down, we would use wheatie balls, sweetcorn , home-made dough baits and the ole faithful "uncle josh's" and get our butts handed to us all the time by 20+ lb carp on the wrong gear, this year we will be after them with the right tackle .
    Just wait and see the pictures that get posted on here this year from the Ohio r....it will open up many eyes to whats really available to us Ohio carp anglers....stay tuned the seasons about to get under way.

Jake, i aint scared to see what we'll catch man...i already know, its just a matter of taking the pictures .....i know thats the reason only i bought my 13' 3.25lb TC rods for...it was'nt for local rivers.

Scott

9. Thanks for the info. I've been real busy around the house. It's time to stop working and start fishing.

I've been working on my new 180 gallon planted tank. It contains 3 small blue/channel cat hybrids. I'll post pictures of it once I get a few more plants and fish in it.

10. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob rrbski, The Happy Carper

Best of luck guys....I drive by Rayland most every friday....lot's of "spring" carpy looking areas there. Wish I could join ya....right now other plans on the calendar...but, ya never know. Anywho....here's to a successful trip for ya. :)