close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio River help

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by catfisherman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Hey guys. I have a question I have fished the Ohio River many times and have never caught a catfish over 10 pounds. Im a shore fisherman. I dont know if its me or just not very lucky. I usually fish Powahattan Pt. or Yorkville area. Im from North Canton, so if anybody knows any places where I can go or any pointers on how to fish the Ohio River for big cats, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks catfisherman

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Try below dams, somewhere within a 1/2 mile or so( maybe 100-300 yds below too). Bait might be a big part of the solution. Use live bait if possible, often you can catch it below a dam. Shad or skipjacks are tops, but bluegills or rockbass are known for longevity

3. I've been hearing a lot of big flat heads are coming from Pike Island on the pier. They are using small live bluegill dropping them over the side of the pier when the water is up. You definately want to use cut bait, but the best bait I have found is cutting up a small white bass. I fish at Pike Island and in the Bellaire area.

4. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

the bait that has been working the best below the montgomery dam tailwaters is a large 6-8'' goldfish and a small weight