Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After returning from my trip to Tennessee, I went on a scouting trip this afternoon primarily to check out the conditions on the Ohio River .

Honestly, I was expecting a good fishing condition, or at least a near-fishing condition. I was very wrong.

My first stop was at Fredrick's Landing on the Licking River about five miles up-river from the Ohio. The licking was up in the trees, and near the top of the boat ramp, with the turnaround completely covered. The water was muddy, but I didn't get the impression that it was a flooding kind of up. There was no noticeable debris and the water was far from "chocolate milk" muddy. One thought is that the Licking being up, might have been backwater from the Ohio River.

My next stop was to cross the Ohio River via the Central Bridge, near Newport on the Levy. To my displeasure the Ohio was up, about halfway up the Serpentine Wall. It too was muddy and sans debris. Both were definitely un-fishable for me and my 17 foot deep V. The cat guys might love it but I had in mind seeking out hybrids or whites at the mouth of the licking and around barriers and creek mouths.

My deduction for those of us who throw plugs is that it's probably going to be the best part of a week before things return to normal "in pool." I'm open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Go back to Tenn.... sorry but the truth hurts, you know where the fshng is awesome everywhere yo go..for every species, the restaurants are open, the gas is cheap, Spring actually stays there for more then 1 day at a time... and the list goes on and on...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree, the truth does hurt. It is a shame that we, here in the Greater Cincinnati area have to drive for hours for a respectable fishing condition.
Our best chance for a Pickwick type bass condition was maybe 30 years ago when they talked about damming up the Licking River at Falmouth.
Unfortunately, that project got shot down, and dispite the fact that the discussion is raised occasionally, nothing has been done.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,137 Posts
FYI,,,
https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/glance.php?wfo=pbz&riverid=204624

FWIW,,, Yesterday,,,, up here, (liverpool) The 'EL' was dropping fast, even though, the River was MUD with lots of JUNK going over the dam. Trees, branches, barrels & plastic, hindered my fun.
3 hrs of shore casting & dragging & NOTHING,,,, maybe 1 hit.
So, like you, I went up a feeder searching.
I ended up with 1 keeper eye, after I lost the first 2 by trying to crank them up while standing on a RR bridge.
When the River is crap,,,, ya just gotta fish farther up a feeder!?

Thanks for the report.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts