Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a 31 inch pike in the fall and fell in love with catching those freshwater barracudas. I want to take it to the next level though and catch more pike. Can someone put me on some tips to locate and catch them or maybe some relable spots. Not tryna spot burn or anything but just wanna catch more pike. In the last 2 weeks ive waded multiple section of the cuyahoga but no luck with any pike. Very frustrating but I know they are out there. Someone help

·
ol' pal Steve
1,321 Posts
Big pools with a backwater are best in The Cuyahoga from my experience. My dad catches them with live bait under a float and just lets it circle around in a backwater.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
The hoga gets hit pretty good, mosquito , west branch has good populations, west branch gives you a chance of a nice muskie now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hoga gets hit pretty good, mosquito , west branch has good populations, west branch gives you a chance of a nice muskie now.

Im planning on taking my kayak out on westbranch soon to catch a musky. Do I need to buy musky lures or can I get away with normal larger bass lures.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big pools with a backwater are best in The Cuyahoga from my experience. My dad catches them with live bait under a float and just lets it circle around in a backwater.
Ive drifted minnows and goldfish in a ton of eddies and runoff pools but have still got nothing. Another reason why its annoying cuz minnows are hard to get.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Im planning on taking my kayak out on westbranch soon to catch a musky. Do I need to buy musky lures or can I get away with normal larger bass lures.
You can get by with spinnerbaits, crankbaits, swim baits, and stickbaits. I’ve caught them while bass fishing or casting for walleye. The west side is a good area , enough back bays to hit.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Normal bass spinnerbait will catch musky, IMO it would give you the best chance. Musky and pike love spinnerbaits.

Reactions: swone

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I do well on Pike with orange Baits. Spinnerbaits, bucktails. Red and white ,Chartreuse, Fire Tiger. But they love orange.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've had really good success on the hoga and tusc. I almost exclusively fish the slack water, reverse flow areas behind a tree lie down in the river. Fish something 2' or so under a float or keep your lure pretty high in the water column or you'll lose a lot of tackle. I learned that one the hard way.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,524 Posts
You can get by with spinnerbaits, crankbaits, swim baits, and stickbaits. I’ve caught them while bass fishing or casting for walleye. The west side is a good area , enough back bays to hit.

Back in the day it seemed like every year the paper would have a story about a kid fishing for crappie with a minnow under a bobber at Lake Milton who would catch big muskie!

Reactions: flyasf

·
Registered
257 Posts
Make sure you have the tools needed to deal with a musky. Appropriate net, long needle nose pliers and wire cutters. Will make your life and the muskys alot easier. They are a handful especially from a kayak. Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back in the day it seemed like every year the paper would have a story about a kid fishing for crappie with a minnow under a bobber at Lake Milton who would catch big muskie!
Over the weekend in kent my buddy caught a 25 inch pike on a half inch minnow and a size 10 hook whilst fishing for crappie.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Normal bass spinnerbait will catch musky, IMO it would give you the best chance. Musky and pike love spinnerbaits.
or they are at least curious. i had a muskie follow my black bass spinnerbait back to the dock one morning at chataqua.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts