Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tuesday, June 21, 2022 from The US Attorney's Office: Northern District of Ohio (link to full article at bottom)
First Assistant U.S. Attorney Michelle M. Baeppler announced that David B. Huff, 79, of Dover, Ohio, pleaded guilty today to an Information charging him with a violation of the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act.
According to court documents, on October 7, 2021, Huff shot and killed a bald eagle with a rifle. Court documents state that Huff owns farmland and several fields in Tuscarawas County and routinely conducts inspections of the land for the presence of pests and rodents. During one of these inspections, Huff shot and killed a bald eagle with a rifle.
The Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act of 1940 prohibits anyone, without a permit, from, among other actions, shooting bald or golden eagles.
After shooting the eagle, Huff picked up the animal and discarded it in the tree line of a bordering field.
As part of the terms of the plea, Huff has agreed to make restitution to the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, in care of the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation in the amount of $10,000 and pay an additional fine of $10,000. Huff has also agreed to a five-year prohibition from hunting and the destruction of the rifle and ammunition seized during the investigation by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.
Huff is scheduled to be sentenced on October 11, 2022.
This case was investigated by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service with assistance provided by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife. This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Brad J. Beeson.

Dover Man Pleads Guilty to Killing Bald Eagle

·
Registered
487 Posts
I remember reading an article a couple years ago, about someone that shoot a red tailed hawk. They had to do a couple years in prison if I remember correctly. I guess he had enough money to buy his way out.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Property Ecoregion Map Line Screenshot

What a dumbass .

Wonder why he killed it and how he got caught ? If he shot it out in the middle of nowhere and threw it in the woods seems unlikely he'd get caught . I just wonder how he got found out .
That's his listed residence. Not necessarily where he did the shooting I guess.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What a dumbass .

Wonder why he killed it and how he got caught ? If he shot it out in the middle of nowhere and threw it in the woods seems unlikely he'd get caught . I just wonder how he got found out .
He might have thrown it onto a neighbor's property or it had a tracker. Either way it's a world's dumbest criminals clip.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i would hate to burst a lot of bubbles here,,,,do you realise how many birds of prey that do get shot by farmers for killing livestock, etc? have any of you seen what they do to lambs, little goats? let one try to attack a chicken lot with a rooster in it, he will either get the **** kicked out of him or killed. i have heard of it around here. ever wonder why there are no pheasant,quail, or rabbits. ducks and ducklings ,even certain types of songbirds.do you honestly think that rabbits,rodent and so forth are all that they eat. hell, i had one of my cats being eaten alive by one of the bastards. do any of you realize what you kill when you spray a field with roundup? and what eats the dead critters that are left over,,,you guessed it, birds of prey. what happens when they injest roundup or some other spray? we introduced falcons to help with pigeon populations in the cities,i'm sorry do they only eat pigeons? this a very sore subject with me because i live where every year we get more and more of them and see what they do and no one cares what kind of damage they really do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A man is hauled before a federal court bench trial on charges of having killed a bald eagle. The man was clearly guilty, and the judge, an avid outdoorsman and an ardent conservationist, was inclined to throw the book at him, but being scrupulous, he inquired if the man wanted to offer any mitigating circumstances.
The man replied, “Well, as a matter of fact, your honor, I do have a mitigating circumstance. You see, I had been lost in the mountains for over a week. I had been out of food for several days, out of water for a day, and I was afraid I was going to die. Your honor, I only killed that eagle in order to eat it to stay alive.”
Moved, the judge convicted the man of a lesser charge and suspended the sentence. Before adjourning, the judge said, “Well, I’m curious. What did the eagle taste like?” The man thought for a moment, looked up at the ceiling as he stroked his chin, then said, “Well, your honor, I guess…I guess it tasted like a cross between California condor and spotted owl.”

1 - 20 of 23 Posts