close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ohio man in south fla

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Sleprock, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

just got back from sarasota fla was there wendsady morning to saterday morning brought my son a car. anyhow we did manage to do a little fishing, we set off to the gulf of mexico, (near sarasota where i was staying) fished in the gulf with my little river poles and my 12 pound test,(i put on heavier line for the trip lol) well the fist day I got a few stares from the local fisherman, that poles to small etc, well i put on my favorte bait (1/4 spinner) and did manage to catch a few fish for a few days, cought small black sea bass, snakefish, something they call pinfish looked like a bluegill not a pin, and a puffer,and a tang, they all looked like fish tank fish(colors) but i did catch a tan and a few fish, just super excited to be back in ohio and all the great weather!!!

back again sleprock

2. Next time your down there, try the Point of Rocks at the south side of Siesta Key beach. I use yozuri crystal minnows, white flukes, and those pin fish that you caught for bait. I spent all day on the rocks catching Snook, jacks, and even hooked up to a few tarpoon (all from the shore). You can use 12 lb test, but you need a 30 lb flourocarbon leader or the snook will cut your line with their gill plat. I don't even know how many different species of fish I've caught down there.

3. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

yep had fun hooked into something big, probably not going back for a good while but was big fun catching all kinds of different stuff.

4. Sleprock, gamehunter was right if you ever go back to sarasota go to siesta key and hit up the point of rocks or the intercoastal waterway. i myself just got back from there for vacation (2nd through the 9th) and caught a tarpon, some pompano, bluefish, and some small sheepshead at the point of rocks. we stayed at a place called bay oaks which backs up to the intercoastal and i fished there a lot as well catching a 30in grouper and tons of snapper and also had a 19lb jack crevalle yank my rod into the water of which i recovered caught the fish but somewhere along the way ripped off my big toe nail on a rock. fishing down there spoils a lot of people IMO everything fights harder. P.S. those pinfish you caught are great bait down there.