Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took two of my kids to their first high school game last night. We waited through an hour rain dely then a half hour lightning dely before they called it. (Not to mention a funnel cloud during the 1st delay :) )

Anyway it had been a while since I went to one, maybe the 1st time I'd been there since I played, so that's prob been 17 years ago. The price was $6 to get it, which seemed fine, but I also had to pay $6 for my 6 year old kids. The ticket taker said the price was laid down by OHSAA, so I paid $20 to watch warm ups ($2 to park).

I was telling this to a friend today who went to another local game and kids six and under were free while children of student age were reduced. So I'm a little confused. I don't mind paying, but I was specifically told that OHSAA set the prices. We did get to see the make up game today but I was wondering who else went out last night to watch some prep football and what if anything did they pay for small children.

Thanks

PS- I went to the Fairborn Skyhawaks game.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
We went to our son's middle school game Wed night. We paid 4 for adults and our 4yr old was free. I thought we paid 3 last year. And parking was free. I'll check and see what the high school charges.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Toxic. I hope I'm not sounding like a cheap butt it's just aggravating. I pay school taxes plus all three of my children go to school here and I pay yearly fees in addition to my taxes. I'd have hoped that my six year olds would be considered a little differently than me when it comes to entry to a football game.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The prices are only set during the playoff games.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Our school's season tickets are $5.00 each, at the gate they are $6.00.
Kids can get student tickets for $3.00. I don't know at what age they start to have to buy them.

·
master angler
149 Posts
As an occasional ticket-taker at our school, I have to deal with disgruntled fans from time-to-time. Ticket prices are set by the athletic department and most leagues coordinate prices. At our school, adult pre-sale tickets for the regular season are $5.00 and walk-up tics are $6.00. Student pre-sale tickets are $4.00. All tickets at the gate are $6.00. Anyone in school, from kindergarten up, is required to have a ticket. Of course, season passes offer significant savings. During the regular season, charging for parking is totally at the discretion of the school.

The play-offs are a different story. The state sets ticket prices. I do know that the state makes anyone 6 and older buy a ticket. I think that if a parking fee is charged for a playoff game, the state gets the money (or a percentage). The school gets a flat fee to host a game (usually just enough to cover costs) and something like 20% of pre-sale ticket money. The state gets all money from walk-up ticket purchases.

I don't think most people realize that most H.S. sports programs are self-sufficient and must raise funds for their own operation and the money-making sports like football and basketball also support the other sports like golf and cross country. Some districts may pay things like coaching salaries, busses, stadium lighting, etc. but in most instances, during lean times, these are the first things to get cut (hence the "pay to play" route some schools are forced to charge).

I just hope no one out there gets the idea that most schools are making profits from the ticket sales. Everything is dumped back into the athletic program.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an occasional ticket-taker at our school, I have to deal with disgruntled fans from time-to-time. Ticket prices are set by the athletic department and most leagues coordinate prices. At our school, adult pre-sale tickets for the regular season are $5.00 and walk-up tics are $6.00. Student pre-sale tickets are $4.00. All tickets at the gate are $6.00. Anyone in school, from kindergarten up, is required to have a ticket. Of course, season passes offer significant savings. During the regular season, charging for parking is totally at the discretion of the school.
That's about what I was looking for. Thanks for the info. Sadly it will not be something that I'll be geeting the family into on a weekly basis I guess. Normally we're a family of 5 so it would become a tad bit expensive. I might just take the kids to the JV games on Saturday moring as those are
F-R-E-E ! :)

My dad had a lifetime Skyhawk pass that was resented to him when he retired from the shool system. Man... I wish we could find that thing! :D

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
I think you got your answer. I checked with Firemurph and he said he paid the same, 6 dollars for the High School game Sat.

·
account delete
1,698 Posts
my buddy said it cost him $5 each to get in and the seating at their field is 7000 people and there were a ton of people standing !! gee i bet they bring in 40 grand a night!! and thats not counting the parking price

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,616 Posts
You had to pay to park????
I agree with you on that. I can see paying to see the game, but then being charged to park on top of it? That is crazy. I haven't been to a high school game in a long time, in fact not since freshman year in high school and we got the student tickets for $3, never once did we have to pay to park though.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
That's about what I was looking for. Thanks for the info. Sadly it will not be something that I'll be geeting the family into on a weekly basis I guess. Normally we're a family of 5 so it would become a tad bit expensive. I might just take the kids to the JV games on Saturday moring as those are

My dad had a lifetime Skyhawk pass that was resented to him when he retired from the shool system. Man... I wish we could find that thing! :D
I think any/all high scholl athletic events that I pay to see are a bargain. I look at it as me supporting the athletic activities at the schools. ( I kinda felt bad one year when my wife purchased football season passes at a discounted price) Try taking a family of five to any paying event for $30. Football and basketball are a full evening of entertainment.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
I can't recall the ticket prices for our school because I have bought a season booster pass the last few years but I am thinking they are in line with others listed ($6/adult and $3 or $4/student). I am also pretty sure that any kid not in school gets in free. I have not gone to many games at other locations in recent years but those prices I believe are pretty typical for us in this area.

·
Tuscarawas River Angler
2,375 Posts
. I might just take the kids to the JV games on Saturday moring as those are
Heck the JV games are NOT FREE at our school................i paid $3 to get in the Jr High game and i think $4 for the JV game !!!

i feel for you Melon..........ive gotto pay to get in the 8th grade game (my daughter cheers) ...........and the freshman game (my son plays) and BOTH the Varsity and Junior Varsity games too because my son is forced to dress for BOTH of them games because of low numbers of boys playing even though he NEVER plays in a varsity game and MIGHT get 1-2 plays at the JV game !!!:(

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I think any/all high scholl athletic events that I pay to see are a bargain.
I agree with you completely. High school sports are the most spectator friendly I've experienced. I am single, however, so it's a cheap night out for me.

If you're into high school sports, one of the things I enjoy is looking at the recruiting web sites and picking a game that features a highly ranked player. For my 5 or 6 bucks, watching a future Big Ten athlete (and sometimes NFL athlete) at the high school level is well worth the cost of admission.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I can honestly say that I have NEVER paid to watch a high school football game.... but then again, I work on the ambulance.

I purposley schedule to work the games... I get in free and I always have a good seat.

Usually the money that they charge for parking goes to something different, like the junior class prom or the band boosters.... at least what I have witnessed in the past.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have been paying at some venues since my kids were in grade school. Usually its only a couple bucks and the concessions are VERY reasonable. I figure it all goes to a good cause.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts