close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio fish image

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Walter Adkins, Aug 31, 2005.

1. When I moved to Ohio I was told by tons of people that there are no fish in Ohio except for carp. All of these comments were from people that live in Ohio. I have spent the last week reading past posts from all the boards. Every section of this state has good to excellent fishing in its waters. We have seen it on here were someone catches a nice group of fish and others are amazed or don’t believe them. I find it amazing that so many people think that this state has very little quality and quantity fish. I have fished most streams and rivers from Columbus Westward only to find numbers and size of bass, catfish, crappies and yes tons of carp. Why do you think Ohio has a bad fishery image?

2. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

because the ohio dnr sucks compared to michigan.
    we have one game warden per county. michigan has 7-15 per county
    michigan has creel limits for almost every single species, ohio does not.

did i mention the buckeyes suck :) he he he

3. We keep spreading those rumors so that we can have the good fishing all to ourselves. Call whoever told you there were only carp in Ohio and tell them they were right and not to bother fishing for anything else.

Scott

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

those people are in the 90% ;)

5. Hey Little King,
    better watch those "buckeye" remarks.
    Some folks take them serious.

Capt Hook :D

6. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

he he he he had to add that in there:)

7. I can not say that I have really had the privilege to fish a lot of places outside of Ohio, a small amount in Michigan, Kentucky, Missouri so I don't have a very good basis to compare. I find the fishing decent in many of the waters that I fish in the state. Granted there are times whenthe fishing stinks but I think often times it is due to other factors and not lack of fish. I am sure there are other states which are better off than we are but I agree with what you are saying in that often times people tend to think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.:rolleyes:

8. I tell you what,
    when i catch five pound bass down south, i feel jipped after catching fives up here...because fives up here are like 18years old, whereas down htere they're like 1st graders

9. CapnHook you live right up the street from my good buddy Gator...careful he needs to change his name to Insti-Gator

10. Funny you should mention carp. Up at the Pymatuning Lake spillway they have this tourist trap where you can pull off the road and feed the carp with stale bread that they sell you for like 10 cents a loaf. This has been going on for decades and the carp in that spot are all humongous and seem to get bigger every year. Anyhow, to this day I still know people who are convinced that there is "nothing but carp" in that lake and there is nothing I could possibly say to change their minds. Little do they care that I have fished it for over 40 years. I guess the moral of this story is: People will render "expert" opinions based on nothing but heresay or their own limited exposure. Always consider the source.

11. Not me, I just come back with.........The Buckeyes suck huh???? Thats ok, because Michigan swallows.

12. Fishing-Miller23

Fishing-Miller23 It's Miller Time!

That is a good one Rod&Reel. The Michigan fans are mad because they haven't won a national championship for a while or a bowl game, they have lost those the past few years. :D While Michigan swallows, they seem to also choke.