Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just a blind man trying to catch a fish!!!!!!
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion whats the lake in Ohio to catch monster fall Crappie ?? And go.....

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Never fished East Harbor but just received my new Hobie Outback so may need to make a trip up there from Columbus
Not saying that east harbor isn't a good place to go, but don't overlook the Portage river and the different marinas up there. I used to get them from my uncles boat dock at turtle creek marina. I know they are in the Sandusky bay also. The problem that I find with lake Erie crappies are that they remind me of morel mushrooms. People are glad to show you what they caught but are reluctant to tell you where. You can get all the info on walleyes perch smallmouths and steelhead but for some reason crappies seem to be a well guarded secret. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

·
Carp53.65
4,235 Posts
Not saying that east harbor isn't a good place to go, but don't overlook the Portage river and the different marinas up there. I used to get them from my uncles boat dock at turtle creek marina. I know they are in the Sandusky bay also. The problem that I find with lake Erie crappies are that they remind me of morel mushrooms. People are glad to show you what they caught but are reluctant to tell you where. You can get all the info on walleyes perch smallmouths and steelhead but for some reason crappies seem to be a well guarded secret. Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Just like morels the time frame to get them is short.

·
Angry hillbilly
1,410 Posts
Well it should be way to many people keep way to many big fish plus to many to the frying pan! It takes a lot of gas money to figure them out!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Not saying that east harbor isn't a good place to go, but don't overlook the Portage river and the different marinas up there. I used to get them from my uncles boat dock at turtle creek marina. I know they are in the Sandusky bay also.
Lower parts of the Huron river as well, including the lagoon. I thought that spring crappie below 12" are throwbacks and 16"+ are typical when I was a kid. Don't know about the current quality in that area since I haven't fished it since the 1970s. Aunt had a house in Franklin Flats with a few small boats so access wasn't an issue. White bass moved in once the crappie were done - good times, good fish frys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts