Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started at ohio erie yesterday around 5pm, put out a rod for bullheads, and started fishing lily pads with a moss boss, switched to a spro frog and was taking it over the pads quickly, because it kept getting stuck. slowed down a bit and no luck. came back to my catfish rod and nothing, casted farther and kept fishing for bass. switched to my panfish rod and caught a few tiny blue gill. also caught a stray 6 inch readear. released him and came back to my rod. started reeling in and was fighting a huge mass of weeds. fought it for like 2 minutes and got it close to shore. i see this dark long figure sticking out the weeds, so i pulled it off and my culprits there, a 11 inch bullhead catfish. finally!

nightcralwers and slip sinker rig.
he swallowed my hook though, so i stuck my finger in to try and extract the hook and he clamped down. i yelled out something bad and so other fisherman in the area looked down my way. oops......
anyway, left off to the tuscarawas and realized i forgot my rod holder. went back and it was too late. a couple there took it, because they also took my worms that i had in a cup. didnt bother confronting them about a bunch of worms, because i could get some more later. but i just bought that rod holder. some people......
fished under the dam and pulled in a yellow perch that was bleeding bad, he was belly uo after i tried to release him, it was 6 inches, so there was atleast a bit of meat on him. i kept that and caught a meaty warmouth.
a guy fishing under the dam offered me a largemouth and i took it. fished the dam one more time before i left. he told me that in addition to bass caught on minnows, he was also catching walleye there on minnow. he claimed this year he caught a few. hoping to get back there and if i dont have any minnows, maybe a few feeder goldfish ill' do the trick..... heh.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Also wondering what the big satisfaction was with the bullhead? Granted its a fish, and better then nothing... but I'm to the point now that is almost rather not catch them bc they're more of a pain then an enjoyment for me anymore lol mainly bc of the dehooking process. I've also had my thumb tore up and chomped lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
knew that. not that I don't like channel cats too. but I think the bullheads are decent practice for channels. they do seem to be location sensitive as well, and like certain spots at certain times. last year I caught about 5-6 from just one spot in 3 hours. but this time I got the only one at a spot in between the pads on both sides about 40 yards father than the one that produced before.
long lake doesn't have any place to fish off of that ive seen. I know of the bait shot but that's farther thanim willing to go and if I get skunked it was for nothing. does cove blvd have any good spots to fish from? I know that spot doesnt have much shore access.

·
Carp53.65
4,249 Posts
I always had fun catching bullheads as a kid. Glad to see that you are having fun fishing instead of just playing video games or watching tv. Always caught more using a crappie rig with shinners. Try fishing that and channels will come. More water will open up for you as soon as you start driving. Nice work and have fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts