Ohio Electrical Code ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 5Cent, Jan 25, 2009.

  1. I know you can't run an extension cord in the wall, but what about the product cord itself? I just mounted the TV on the wall, and would like to run the cord in the wall for the cleanest look.

    I'm not looking to put in a recessed socket, or hardwire it at this point. The cord would go in behind the TV and then come out next to the socket at the ground level, and then be plugged in.
  2. I wouldn't, although it probably wouldn't hurt anything. If you can run the TV cord in the wall it shouldn't be any major deal to run a little bit of romex and add a new outlet.

  3. I would go to a big box store and buy a cable cover and paint it to match the wall. The cable cover is a piece of plastic about 1/2 inch square that can be cut to length. Great for hiding cords, speaker wires, etc....

  4. Snake, that is the current plan. Bigun the TV could possibly be moved to another area, and I don't want a socket at eye level in the wall. If it is legal to run the product cord, then 2 small holes to be repaired is fine.
  5. When I mounted my tv to the wall I was informed that running the power cord through the wall is a big no no as the wire is not designed ot rated for use inside the wall. I did not see what the bid deal was with running it though the wall, but I also was told that doing it may void part or all of your homeowner insurance in the case that you did have a fire. I ran mine on the outside and covered it with a wire hiderand painted it. It doesn't look bad at all, I thought it was going to be horrible.
  6. Thanks whitee, that's kinda what I figuring. Off to get the wire covering.
  7. dude i'm an electrician. don't do it. not only might you void the warrenty, but that kind of wire isn't designed to live in walls. also you remove the means of disconnect when you don't have a plug.
  8. The knowledge of an electrician is what I am looking for, thank you. But the plug would still be there, it's where the tv is currently plugged into behind the small entertainment center.

    What I was thinking was two small holes (2" diameter) for all cables: 2x HDMI, etc. One behind the TV, where cords are run, down inside of wall, then out next to plug outlet, and then plugged in (hidden).
  9. call the city or county electrical inspector and tell him what you want to do,,I am sure it is not by code,,,but could be wrong,,,I am sure some people do it with out problems,,,but by code ??????? it is your house ,,,
  10. I don't know about code but I have rewired a few outlets in my house. Snaking any wire through a wall is a pain. not only do you have to reach it to pull it back out, you never know where there might be a cross brace between the studs without taking down a whole sheet of drywall.
  11. I ran the rest of my wires through the wall just not the power. That way I only had to use a small wire hider. I just cut a hole behind the tv mount and one down by the baseboard. I have a wood chest that sits under my tv so it hides the bottom hole. I was fortunate that there was nothing to block my wires from just falling from the top hole to the bottom.

    Good Luck!
  12. willy

    willy no boat

    A hole is a hole, whats the difference between having a 2" hole in your wall to repair or a 6" hole to mount a outlet? I would make an access hole big enough to mount the box at the height you want and also run the rest of the cables, and i would leave it open for now (it will be hidden behind the screen anyway) and run romex to the lower box and do it right. If your mounting a new flat screen the cost of the boxes and 5' piece romex will be change compared to the cost of that screen and wall mount bracket. If you run into a cross bracing issue it will be alot easier to sort it out with a larger hole as opposed to a 2" hole you cant see in. I have my eye on getting one myself when i can afford it, and I would be more concerned with installing my own solid bracing to secure the wall mount and that expensive display rather then be worried about the drywall. If you have a something to set it on for now maybe try that route as a temp test to see if its the best location for you first? good luck, I wish I could afford one myself.
  13. You can get it at lowes or homedepot. It's called surface mount conduit. The stuff works great if you don't want to fish the wall or can not fish a wall.
  14. Willy, I too was a little hesitant about the wall mount, but they are very solid. The cords were covered with the outside conduit already,so I thank everyone for their information.