close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio Carp Crew gathering/Fish-in

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by RiverRat, Feb 10, 2005.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Who: Ohio Carp Crew (O.C.C.)

WHERE: Rayland Marina/Campground on the banks of the Ohio river, Rayland, Ohio.

When:April 22-24

Directions: From Columbus...take I-70 east to Bridgeport exit(last exit before you cross over to West Va.). Turn LEFT, go to light and turn RIGHT, then at next light turn LEFT and follow the RT 7 signs heading NORTH, go past Martins Ferry and Yorkville to the Rayland exit, you will see the marina next to the river(cant miss it).Total distance from the Bridgeport exit to Rayland marina exit is 7-10 miles .If coming from somewhere else, do a search on Yahoo maps and type in Rayland, Ohio.

Cost: parking is $2 for those only fishing during the day and not camping, camping runs $8-$10 a night. I will update these costs soon as i confirm them with the owners. Plus i will find out about restrooms, showers, ect.

Food:Martins Ferry has a Kroger's And most popular fast-food brands(McDonalds, Wendys, ect.).

Gas: many gas stations along RT 7 , one in Yorkville and one between Yorkville and Rayland.

What to bring: FISHING GEAR( i recommend for those not use to hard running river fish to put FRESH line on your reels) Food, tents and other camping gear...its up to you.
    Not sure if alcohol is permitted at the campgrounds 100% for sure, but seeing as its NOT a state park, its up to the owners of the campgrounds..i'll find out for anyone interested.

Species: Common & Mirror carp, Buffalo Carp and this area gave up a large BIG head carp a few years ago to a BASS angler.

What to expect: I will be doing some pre-fishing of this area, but the marina is located only a mile or 2 above Pike Island lock & dam and most fish in the area will be wintering right above the dam. Rayland has a creek that exits right next to the marina entrance and i feel that a lot of fish will draw to this area into the protected water that should warm up faster than the main river.These are the first backwaters above the dam the fish will come to. Should be a great pre-spawn area. Also the marina connects under RT 7 to many ponds that we have caught loads of carp in during mid summer(i think these are spawning backwaters for sure). The area to the left of the marina drops off to 25 ft. as it used to be a grain barge tie off. Plus the mouth of the marina and channel connecting the marina to the river should be great for fish coming off the river.
    You will be camping right next to the water and will NOT have to drag any gear from your car but 10-20ft. Also there is a LOT of bankspace.Also being above the dam this area has to get a TON of rain to raise the water level, unlike below the dam where rain effects the flow and level all the time.

Just thought some of you might be interested, so this is where & when my buddys and I will be if ya want to do some river fishing. EVERYONE is welcome to join.

Scott

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

For anyone interested, i have decided the 4 OCC events this year will be a money-pot tourny(for those wanting in on the action, if not its OK too).
    Im going to work out the details this friday with my buddy Jake when we head over to Cabelas and hit the Ohio r. Im thinking of a "points" type system with a certain amount of points per fish depending on its weight. Something like 1 point for carp 1-5 lbs. , 2 points 6-10 lbs., ect. pots will be on total points per angler per event and we will have a seperate bigfish pot. I'd say $20 & $10 is fair.

If you just want to fish the events and not join in on the pots, thats totally cool too, this is just for those who are brave enough to put thier $ where there mouth is and skip any trash talkin...all in fun of course.

More details to come very soon.

Scott

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Also, if you want to attend one of our events, sign up by contacting me via PM .

Scott

4. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Scott, I'm hoping to hit this event, and can't wait til april

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Tim i really do hope you join us at Rayland...i cant wait to put you on a TON of carp....after that you'll never look at lakes again, seeing as your not far from the Ohio r. yourself!!!

Scott

6. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

that place looks really carpy to me too..lol..

7. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Hey Ak, if you think that area looks carpy... some of the other spots along that river are much better....shallow gravel flats next to deep old barge tie-offs you can set up camp and stay til you cant lift your arms anymore(and never see another bank angler).
    Then theres the old blown up rollover dam thats a big VERY deep slackwater hole....then theres the Nickles bakery(that has a run off pipe that dumps into the river), countless numbers of gravel bars, islands, coves, feeder creeks, bridges...but i'll save those for later...lol

Scott

8. Do you have anu events in northern Ohio this year?

9. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Clyde, sorry as of now i do not..but i hope next year to hold some up your way on a water that im going to scout out this year, if it pans out the way i think...we should have an AWSOME NW event next year.

Being as this is my first year holding events, i want to let carpers in on some of my normal areas first. I plan to travel a LOT this year to new rivers and a few Res. that i know will produce state record class carp. If all goes to plan, next year we will hold 8 events total with atleast 7 if not 8 out of 8 areas producing very BIG fish. This year im feeling very confident that 3 if not 4 of 4 will produce many anglers PB catches.
    Im in talks right now to get a very well known shop here in Columbus to sponsor OCC events , which should reward winners very very well.Im also sending out a few personal e-mails to a few big name hopeful sponsors that should be a GIANT step towards my goal of these events...you all will have to wait and see.

I have a lot more planned , but cant let the carp out of the bag just yet, those who join us bankside will have to wait and see.

So far heres my e-mail letter to those who register:

Ohio Carp Crew: Carp Event, April 22-24

$20 to enter “Points” Pot, $10 to enter “Big Fish” Pot.

Points System: per Carp
    1-5 lbs. = 1 pt.
    6-10 lbs. = 2 pts.
    11-15 lbs. = 3 pts.
    16-20 lbs. = 4 pts.
    21-25 lbs. = 5 pts.
    26-30 lbs. = 8 pts.
    31-40 lbs. = 15 pts.
    41-50 lbs. = 25 pts.
    51+ lbs. = 50 pts.

Highest number of total points per event wins “Points” pot.
    Single biggest fish in weight wins “Big Fish” pot.

Species that count: Common & Mirror Carp, Buffalo Carp and Bighead Carp.

Same rules as CAG apply for catching fish, NO TREBLE HOOKS and only mouth hooked fish count, NO snagging.
    Please use a fish friendly type landing net, landing mat and fish are to be weighed using either a landing mat or weigh sling. All weighed fish must be witnessed and verified or they will not count. One person will keep track of everyone’s points, the chart will be kept at the weigh station for all to see and confirm.

YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED MEMBER OR “GUEST” OF OCC TO ENTER THE “TOTAL POINTS” & “BIG FISH” POTS.

To register, please contact me via PM through the OGF forum or e-mail at flatheadmaniac@gmail.com

Bent rods & screaming alarms,

Matthew Scott Hollar

PS : To anyone wanting to attend these events but does not want to enter any kind of "money" fishing tourny, PLEASE feel free to join us as you do NOT have to enter the money pots to fish with us..this will just be for anglers wanting to put a little more towards thier fishing skills then just "trash talk". So please dont feel you have to join in the money to have a great time or attend, the main goal is still to catch LOTS of carp, catch big ones and spend time bankside with others who like carp fishing too.

10. Scott,

Sounds like you have a lot of good things planned for the upcoming year. I hope to make it to at least one or two of your events...if anything just to try out some new venues. I just hope my schedule doesn't get too busy...

11. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Breaking News:
    I just got a sponsor for the OCC events..one down many more to come!

So now we will have prizes & money for those that register and win !

Scott

12. Count me in! I have already requested the Friday off for the event. Rain or shine carp will be caught. Trust me I know that area and have fished it since I was about 6. I have caught nice carp, cats, smallies, hybrids and alike in this area. It is a major pre-spawn feeding area and the marina and backwater ponds are excellent spawning grounds for these fish since they are connect to the river by hugh drainage style pipes. If you show up for this event you wont be disappointed. My only advice for this will be to bring your big fish gear. River carp are nothing like lake carp. They will put a hurtin on you fast and even the small ones fight like big boys. Good Luck to all those goin, hope to see a good turn out!

The Jake!

13. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Hey Jake,
    I got a reply back from another one..looks like we'll be getting even more goodies for the events...gonna be a great year!!

Scott

14. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

I would love to go but a couple of us carpers need to show the rest of the world that we can catch crappies as well. So it is off to the Crappie tourny for Shawn and I, I hope you guys have a great time.

15. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I'm sure we'll show em how it's done. Besides.....when we get our 10 slabs in the 1st hr......we're gonna hit some spawning grounds for some piggies ;) I'll shoot you a pm in a minute dude.

16. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Crappies.....?....what are those..lol.

Best of luck to you guys.

If we get a small turn out, its cool with me.....no matter what there will be plenty of carp/buffs landed and lots of pics. to show to those who dont attend.The April event can easily put a few 30's (lbers.) on the bank and will be surprised if a few big buffs are'nt landed too.

Sean L., hope ya can make the June event..that one will be worth the drive, i just will not be held responsible for broken rods, fried drags or sore muscles & tenden in your arms. I see that event putting a few hundred carp on the bank and over 500 lbs. total(fri.-sun.). The highest "points" at this event will be VERY high.

17. Just curious...is this typically a day, night or round the clock type of bite on the river in April?? April is looking a bit full already and I might only be able to make it out to fish morning to late evening on Saturday.

And where is the June event??

18. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

CW, as with most waters the morning and evening bite is the best...also like east harbor in early season, the early morning bite(3am) and on is always a producer. Most of the time if you've got chum going you can keep the fish on the river feeding all day long, not much slow time.

June Event will be held right down the river a few miles, right below Pike Island dam, there is TONS of bank space and you can set up a shelter anywhere your fishing. This event will probably produce its biggest fish during the night...but all day will produce fish too. This is the spot Dave, Jake and I hit around 100 fish total in late Oct. with the ratio of carp to buffs being almost equal.

August im going to set up an event on the Muskingum river...which holds LOADS of big carp and should be a very awsome time.

Oct. will be again at the Ohio r. right below Pike Island dam(same as june).

Scott

19. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Bump back to the top....only a few weekends til this event!!

Scott

20. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Well guys 2 weeks til the first ever event.

Im going this coming thursday(4/14) to pre-fish and pour in the chum. I will be speaking with the owners of the campground and finding out all thats needed about restrooms, fees, ect.
    I will also be taking a full cameras worth of pictures of the venue and post them when i return home for all to see. I will get pics. of the whole area including parking lot, marina ect.

Also anyone interested in float fishing or stalking carp, there is a large tube that connects the marina to big backwater ponds and its a very easy walk from where we fish to these ponds(or you can drive and park around them) plus there is a very nice creek that has access to some great buff and carp fishing as well. Both these waters should have a nice population in them already and we always catch lots of carp there in the spring/summer.

If anyone wants to join me for this weeks pre-fishing,chumming give me a shout via PM or e-mail.
    I will be heading out around 2-3pm thursday and staying atleast til friday sometime(maybe saturday if the fishing very good...lol) my main goal is to chum loads of corn in for the next weekend and try to test the waters too see what size fish are already there waiting...hopefull the chum will draw tons of fish and hold them long enough for us to hit it hard the next weekend..it should be a great time for those that join us.

So far we around 12-15 anglers coming...everyone is welcome to join us, atleast the ROD & REELS anglers are.....lol.

Scott