close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio CAG Carp Challenge Edgewater-LE (Cleveland)

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by atrkyhntr, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Hey All...
    Who is going to the Ohio CAG Carp Challenge Edgewater-LE (Cleveland)??
    I'll stop by and say hi along with my kids...
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    Clyde

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I'll be there. See you on Saturday.

3. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

i will be there,for awhile,and i might even fish :eek:

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

We had about 12 people register......but I think of those 12 only 10 are fishing
    now.

5. My original plans were to fish this venue, but I've got too much going on to make the drive up there...would love to see some nice fish come out of there, though. Good luck to all those who fish it.

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

It's gonna be rough guys ;) Guess the curse is back with me. LOL. Well, since I'm not fishing....perhaps it won't be THAT bad. I think I'm going to perch fish for a change :)

7. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Does this mean that the challenge is off?

8. PAYARA

from the look of things right now,this is going
    to be TOTALY UNFISHABLE! iam still set to go
    up but if somebody could give me an accurate
    report on conditions before 8am(when iam leaving)
    it would be a great help?

with wind from the north set for tomarrow,it dosent
    seem like there will be a change in condition

9. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

hope you guys do well up there, if indeed you guys fish.. good luck and catch some big ones for me..

10. ...any wind out of the north will be .. well as said "TOTALY UNFISHABLE"...
    I'll stop by sometime during the AM...

11. crappielooker

the venue have been change to the black river in lorain..tpet saidthey are by the mouth of the black river..on the east side north of the drawbridge..in a park of sort..
    good luck guys..

12. take 90 west to 611
    take 611 till it turns right and you keep going straight
    I think that may be Colorado ave..
    go to the draw brdige...
    that is where they will be fishing

13. crappielooker

thanks clyde...i just know how to get there.. :p

14. PAYARA

thats REALLY NICE! after i went ALL the way up there.its
    all of a sudden changed????WTF!!!!i when to the lakefront
    at 9:30am,nobody was there.i ask the rangers ect,nobody knew
    anything.what,nobody could post on the forum what was going off?

15. crappielooker

greg..dooood..i posted it as soon as i got the message..and it couldn't have been 20 mins max..

16. PAYARA

iam not talking about your post man.i see that you posted when you
    found out,thanks.the challenge was set to start at 8am? i left at
    8am! i checked the board prior to leaving for any changes.there
    was none posted.so i left expecting to find someone there or some
    kind of message with the rangers,ect.i really dont care either way now,
    i just wish i would have known before hand.the switch could have been
    anounced last night,there were signs of these conditions last night and
    that it was going to carry over to this morning.

17. I knew about the switch because I called Ak to get Shawn's cell phone number then was told...
    I know you must have been highly frustrated but those who already were there were also, making the decision to leave and fish somewhere else easy...
    This would seem to be a learning experience and in the future there could be a back-up fishery already in place and along with a contact person...
    I had a very personal issue come up at the very last minute that kept me from attending...
    Can't wait to see how things turned out for our "troopers" and view all or any of the photos taken...

18. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Greg,

I cannot post on a computer when I'm 110 miles from my front door. The decision was made at 9:00 AM, and we didn't pull out until 9:10 AM. How long does it take you to get from Akron to Edgewater? You have my cell phone number. It's posted on here, on http://www.cagohio.net , etc. ALl you have to do is call me. 419 512 6644 If you have a problem with that, you can contact me directly. Either by phone above, email at tpet96@columbus.rr.com via PM at tpet96, or by mail at the mailing address at http://www.cagohio.net The choice is yours.

19. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Thanks for those that attended! Thanks to the sponsors!

Friday morning, Dick Laubscher, Sean Lehman (miso_ohio) and I made the trek up to 72nd street to fish. The winds were howling out of the NE with 6-7's rolling up there. We decided NO WAY so we moved on over to downtown Cleveland to look around. Couldn't find any decent places along the Cuyahoga River, so we drove over to Lorain and fished the Black River. 0 fish, 0 bumps. Had a great time playing Texas Horseshoes, or "Sewer Holes" as they are referred to.

We left there around 5:30 and headed for the motel. Mike TOdd (Carpless) met us there around 7:00 or so, and we drove over to the Rock Bottom on the FLatts for dinner/socializing. We stuck around there until 9:30 or so, then headed back.

5:00AM rolled around WAY too early, so we got up, and headed over to Edgewater to meet the gang. About 7:45 we all split up and hit the fishing areas we wanted to. Brian Graham, Dick L, Sean Lehman, Mike Todd, Doug Saunders, and Dan Frymire were in attendance. A couple of us took some time to look at Miso's jeep as the rotors/brakes were worn. At about 9:00AM, the group of anglers competing took a vote and decided to make a move over to the Black River in Lorain to fish. THe conditions were way too harsh to be fishing in Edgewater. So the vote took....and by 9:10, we were on the road. Sean and Mike headed to the car shop to get Sean's vehicle in to get it fixed.....then met us over at Lorain.

Arriving at the Black River, everyone set up, and began fishing. It was slow for the most part, but once the chum started hitting the water, the fish started rolling, with some decent fish (Mid 20's) rolling on the surface. Looked VERY promising. Brian Graham had the 1st fish on, but lost it to a line slice on some underwater structure. About 2 hrs later, he had another one on......and same thing. Another hour or so into it, Doug Saunders had a fish on, and then lost it to the same piece of underwater structure. The only thing I can think of is an old steel retaining wall with zebras attached to it. They were clean line slices, and sliced w/o any pressure what so ever. Couldn't be much more than that.

The group decided to extend the fishing a while longer than originally scheduled, so after that extended session.........nobody had landed anything. Can't say enough about the gruop of guys that tried though. The conditions were VERY harsh......and these guys tried every trick in the book to make due with the changing conditions all day. EVERYONE was on their feet most of the day making the best of the situation and trying everything they could. The fish would just not move around other than the 3 that the team of Brian and Doug hooked/lost.

Everyone that attended went home with at least something, as we held a hat draw for the donated items that were present. We had enough groups of items to go "around the world" twice, so each person received 2 nice groups of gifts. As for the trophies, they will have the etched plaques removed and replaced at alater date for another event in 2005, and the gift certificates........the $75 certificate will be presented to the Ohio Carp King for 2004, and the $25 certificate will be carried over for either the 2005 CAGI or the 2005 Ohio Carp King.

I'd like to send out a special thank you to the sponsors who supported our fish-in/challenge for this month. Ohiogamefishing.com kicked in 2 t-shirts and 2 hats. Thank you VERY much for your support guys. We really appreciate your dedication to carp anglers in Ohio. Also sponsoring the event were the following:

TheBoilieShopUSA (4 bags of pellets/flavorings)
    http://www.boilieshopusa.com

CarpAnglersGroup (3yr membership to 1st place (didn't win), CAG Patch/Sticker, Trophies for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Big Fish)
    http://www.carpanglersgroup.com

CAG Ohio (Boilie Selection for 1st, 2nd, 3rd)
    http://www.cagohio.net

**Other items were chipped in by anonymous donors.

Thanks again for everyone that attended. The decision to move was made at the last minute by a vote of the group, and for those that were not competing that were not contacted, I tried the best to let you know by contacting AK to make a post on here and CAG. Fortunately a couple that were coming up did in fact contact me first before the left. It is hard for me to contact everyone at the last minute when I do not know for sure who is/isn't showing up. Looking forward to the 2005 CAGI gang. This will be a joint venture by the Ohio and Indiana chairs, and will be a hell of a weekend....that is for sure ;) See all of you at Alum in October!