close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio and Erie Canal (trout)

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by hardwaterfan, Oct 15, 2004.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Stopped by real quick today to see if i could watch the stocking but i was too late. According to the guy in the office there, 2100 trout were stocked. BUT dont go today, the canal is closed for fishing until 12 noon tomorrow. Coincidentally, there is a youth oriented "festival" going on down there tomorrow from 12 noon to 4pm. The sign said "camping, hiking, live music, crafts, learn to fish" etc. etc. They had a couple outdoor tents set up.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Most areas where they release those trout are off limits for a while. Here at Atrium they let the little ones fish until 12:00 or so before opening it to the public.

3. hardwaterfan

A lot of happy kids down there today! The fish were biting really well. I caught a bunch and they seem to be bigger this year. (Actually almost legal as compared to 9-10" last year. You know what i mean.) No goldens, just rainbows was all i saw, if youre curious. Also caught some dink gills and a little crappie.

If you want to take a little kid fishing this would be the perfect place and time to try it if you live nearby.

I had a blast down there today! I guess Im just a 33 year old kid, too! :p

4. what were you using?

5. hardwaterfan

Just a tiny jig and waxworm under a bobber. Then when I ran out of the waxworms i tipped the jig with the TINIEST ball of powerbait i could make. Like smaller than a pea. Just enough to cover the hook, any more and i was "robbed". Either bait seemed to work about the same (no gills or crappie on the powerbait though), and color didnt seem to matter much either. I had good luck with both black and white jigs, and red, orange, and green powerbait. I think anything they could see, they would eat if it was small enough for them.

Theres plenty of scrappy trout in there right now, good luck!

6. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

hey hardwaterfan where is this place and how do i get their..................i want to try a couple of trout in the smoker..................thanks jim

7. Take 77 North to the Grant St exit which is north of 480. Make a left, and go to e. 49th. Make a left on E. 49th, and you'll find the park entrance about 1/4 of a mile down the road. Turn right into there, and park where all the cars are. It's then about a 1/4 walk down to the canal.

8. hardwaterfan

FYI: I normally dont eat trout but was a little "slow on the draw" and kept a couple deep hooked ones, baked them, and they were very good!! they had a very good, mild taste to them. I was pleasantly suprised.

Heres how i made them if anyone's interested:

First, in a small baking dish, pour a LITTLE splash of water (NOT enough to cover bottom of dish). Then throw in a couple hunks of butter. Then sprinkle salt over the dish, the open the spice cabinet and throw anything that looks good into the dish. I think i grabbed the garlic salt, seasoned salt, and a couple other spices that looked good but dont remember the name.

Then,

Cut the fish's head off. Slice the belly down to the anus. Scrape out all the innards. Rinse body thoroughly under cold water to remove slime, debris, etc.

Then,

Put the fish into the dish. (yes fins and all) Cover reasonably tightly with aluminum foil, like to make a lid.

Bake at about 375 for like 40 minutes. The butter, water, and spices will boil and "steam-bake" the fish.

As you can tell, I am a "JUST-WING-IT" kind of cook. If you cant tell if the fish is done you may want to try a real recipe.

Honestly, it was good. And watch for the little bones!!

9. hardwaterfan

In short, TODAY down there, nothing I mentioned above was really working at all!

But, small spinners were working well.

Fishing is funny that way I guess....overall it was very slow down there.

10. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Fried trout is as good as any fish out there. You gotta get the skin off of it, though. Fillet the trout as you would any fish. Skin the fillets. Soak fillets in milk for an hour or two, you really can't soak it too long. Use your favorite batter on it ( I like just rolling them in seasoned flour), and fry in hot oil.

Hard to beat.