Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the OGF outing with Fishon Frank, we stayed with GotOne Steve and his buddy Ron, thanks guys for the beds to sleep in and all your nice hospitality, 10X’s better than staying in a tent or truck, thanks Hettfieldin for putting the weekend together, very good time talking to all the guys I never met and seeing the good ol boys, Coolerking, B Thomas, Big Johnson, Dixie Chicken, Big Daddy, Freyedknot, Lundy, Commodore 64, eyeman, cw261, Krustydawg, GR, Papascott, TBuzz, and the rest of the crew that showed up to eat fish, drink beer, rip on other members, and just talk walleying, The weather couldn’t have been better the beer was cold and man was it a great trip all weekend long. Also good to talk to Steve Carlson on the way home, Gary Zart, Mike the Boatnut, AA, and Polish Dan from out of state thanks for the tips, lots of human interation this weekend, phone was dead both days, And of course Scott and Viper 205 the “boys”

Okay now for the fishing report, since we’re trollers we trolled, Krusty fished with us Saturday, we fished almost 11 hours to boat our limit of 12 fish, it was a slower bite and we lost just as many as we hooked if not more, many presentations got us bites, 3 oz bottom bouncers, dragged off the corners and two on boards worked well, silver blades # 4 and #5 purple beads, solid and opaque, pink and blue beads also.. Reef Runners in Purple Demon, Barbie, Sunspots were the big winners, Krusty reeled in a 29 inch hog just just shy of 10 pounds on Barbie, the scale even said 10. something a couple times but stayed in the 9’s when held steady. Best leads on the cranks were 75-125 back. HJ-12 Glass clown at 125 also took 2 fish. 1 oz inlines with spinners also got bit gold beads gold blade, nothing on copper backed blades, silver and gold we’re better. Lots of short strikes and pullbacks, speed was 1.0-1.4 water was very clear. We fished all around Kelly’s-- North, NW, and W mostly, and up toward the shoals and Luci’s point..with no sonar really couldn’t tell you how many fish we were on or how deep we where in but our Navionics was working on the bow so those have depth numbers fished anywhere from 28-48 feet according to the chip, goes to show you fish finders are needed to boat fish as long as you have spots and a good adjustable program. All fish were females with one holding on Saturday.

Sunday we fished with Bobby, having an area to start in we got into them right away we only caught 10 fish but we landed another hog at 30 inches and just shy of 10 pounds but we fished 5 less hours Sunday than Saturday, the other fish we’re good to, 26’s and 25’s with nothing smaller than 20, with a couple at 22 and 23, we only had a couple pullbacks all day and lost one really good fish first thing in the morning probably over 8 if not 10. Reef Runners ruled anywhere from 38-140 back, orange peel, Barbie, purple demon caught the most, speed was 1.1-1.6 all day.

·
335 Posts
Nice catch Kevin! I am a troller at heart as well. But when the fish are only a stones throw from the launch and they are coming in that easy drifting, I bite the bullet and pull out the casting rods.

·
Registered
169 Posts
we filled our tickets, culled a few (dozen) then trolled back towards the ramp...

30 seconds into the first time I have ever trolled off of this boat.........

purple and black reef runner 50 ft back takes a 6 pounder...............

lost one other after that ......

jigging was just too easy...but the troll fight is so much better.....

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Would have like to get some tutelage on trolling from you guys, but we had never jigged either. I've never experienced anything like that jigbite.

I got out there Friday evening in time to see Shortdrift stagger in after catching walleye all day. Chowed down on some of Eyesman01's venison sticks (awesome) and some good Kielbasa thanks to Kgone and Frank, got some great drift fishing advice from Walleyeguy.

Saturday afternoon, we finally got the Larson in the water. We were coming over from Port Clinton, so we stopped at Toussaint Reef where there were some headboats jigging. We were using binoculars to watch people fishing so we could figure out how to jig. We didn't do too well. We finally headed over to Turtle Creek pack, where tubuzz and Hetfield put us on some fish and told us what to do. Even though they outfished us at least 10 to 1, we still limited and had a great time. Tubuzz was catching walleye so fast he was throwing them over towards our boat, to help us out. Heh.

I'm so glad we made it out to meet everyone and soak up some of the vast fishing experience from these folks.

Special thanks to CW261 who brought over a portable bilge pump so we could pump the water out of the Larson after our pump failed. I guess we didn't wait long enough fo the silicone to cure on the holes we drilled in the hull for the transducer we rigged on Saturday. Bailing out that water with a wicked hangover on Sunday, I thought we'd miss the bite on Sunday. But it only set us back an hour or so. :D

In any case, I'm looking forward to learning to troll boards and the night bite this summer.

And one last thing...Dio Sabbath > Ozzy Sabbath.

·
KrustyDawg
2,632 Posts
Great report Kev. Had a great time out there with you and Frank on Saturday, my face/head/neck is still crispy ! Looking forward to the next trip. Sweet pics ! I might be out tomorrow evening, looks like the weather is gonna turn again after Tuesday. I will let you guys know if later in the week is a go or not. Great weekend with Great Friends, can't beat it. By the way that Ranger is a walleye fishin' machine even without sonar, one sweeeeeet rig ! Thanks again !

JD,
Early spring and late fall is trophy time (limited window), we have all summer to catch 20"-22" fish, so why not take advantage of it ? It's fun to catch a limit of jacks off the reefs but my blood gets pumpin' when you hook in to a 30"+ eye that could eat one of those jacks for a snack !:D Everyone has their own agenda when it comes to spring eye fishing, no matter what that agenda is we should all consider ourselves blessed to have the greatest walleye waters in the world in our backyard !

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt shoot me your email and bobby to so I can email you guys the nice digital pics I have more action shots and fish pics.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
What A weekend...Burnt to a Crisp for sure...

The best part of fishing this weekend was the company for sure! All the Ogf'ers and gang was a blast.. Gotone and Buddy Ron.. were a blast to hang out with and once again thanks for leting us stay with you...even though weall had a "Snore off"!!!LOL

Great to see ShortDrift out there doing what he does best.. slay them walleye..

Het . Cw and Son...Chippewa, Tubuzz and Eyesman... great guys and food!

CoolerKing(Jack) had me laughin all night on Fri... And good to see Al, Bthomas and Gang....Dixie had some killer perch bits recipe.. even tastes good of the ground(3 second rule)

Matt(Krusty) hauled in that Hog and it just topped the Day... it was a bit tough @ first for us not having sonar.. but we were able to put a program together to get the job done...Matt it was a pleasure fishing with ya and im looking forward to fishing with ya soon...

Bobby was pumped from the first second and really took on trolling.. he was watchin them boards like a hawk!!!.. I hope you had a blast...

That other Hog I reeled in Felt so good and Bringing that fish in form 140 feet of line out was a blast... over all a great 2 days of fishin.....

Stevie and Scott and Matt from Indiana thanks guys for helpin us out as always...

This is what fishing is about... great People and Great times

Frank

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Those perch bits were even good with a toothpick jammed into the roof of your mouth...Only 1 toothppick in each bit...suuuuuuuuuuure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What a weekend, had a blast sluggen cold ones and meeting some
of the "gang" i had never met! Class act people and good food! Perch
rollups were awesome Larry! Nice to finally meet Frank, Het, Tbuzz, and
others! Thanks for all the hard work and organization put into fun filled
event! Oh yeah, and the fishing was AWESOME! Looks like the night bite
is ON,off Lorain, to Cleveland! Hope to connect with everbody over the rest
of the year! .... Opps almost forgot, time to wash the Overalls!

Jack

COOLERKING on 79

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
that extra toothpick in the few of them was a "stinger" toothpick... gotta love Dixie's sense of humor...LOL

that was a Blast!...

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
beer and keilbasa stains.. from friday... he got all dressed up on Sat night.. ....LOL
couln't help my self Jack...LOL see out on the water soon!

Frank

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Great meet and greet !
Missed the Sat fish fry with a severe case of the warm chicken salad blues. Plus missed nettin' a fishO+ eye Jack jigged up on Sunday. (maybe THAT'S why those coveralls need a good cleaning)
Good time and good fishin' to all for the rest of the year !

GR

·
Dr Data
732 Posts
While the weekend wasn't what I planned I did get out.

Friday fished for an Noon to 1:30 picking up a limit of 17-20" fish just south of Crane reef. Threw back several smaller fish... I was on a mission as I had to get back to Columbus for Girl Scout Hoe Down They did not consult my calendar but neither did the soccer league!

Sunday arrived 11:00 with my son first line in he picked up a 26.5" 7lb'er. Funny because he "came up to catch a fish ohio". What a hoot watching the rod bend over like that for him. Our plan had been to pick up four and then go troll. We picked up two more 20" and 24". Then we started loosing short biters at the boat and tossing back small fish.

We headed towards Middle and found some marks but could not get them to take any cranks. My son went below and caught a nap. Leaving me weaving down the lake with boards out.

Went back in close and caught hooked up on few more small fish. By then my son was toast so we headed back home.

Great day sorry I put in at the wrong place Sunday. I was one launch west of you folks. I realized it as we headed back in. My fault I should have actually read Het's instructions instead of being a know it all...

I'm holding his fish up for him!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Awesome time. Trolling is a blast. I'm so glad I had two great fisherman to show me some of the techniques. What a boat, by the way. I think I can get out and troll with some confidence on the little guy now. I'll be out of Edgewater soon and try my own hand without the experts. I'll post how I did. thanks again guys, it was great.

Bobby

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kevin, leaving today and driving all night. Should be fishing by 9-10:00am tomorrow. We will be staying at Put-In-Bay. We are going to troll for the big-ones. What is your recommendation on where to start, how deep and how deep to run the lures. We can run six lines - three of us going. Looks like the reef bite was great but hunting for the trophies like you were this weekend.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts