close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OGF Mbr Selling Skipjack

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by H2O Mellon, Mar 26, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

A while back an OGF mbr that I beleive had a shop or some sort of bait license was selling Skip Jack. He made a post about selling it in the Cincy area, does anyone know who this mbr was?

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Mellon, starting last season a few bait stores started selling Skips around Columbus , mostly because of the number of "pay ponds"...guess these guys FINALLY realized these blues where once wild fish and ate skipjacks naturally...duh!
    Anyhow, they charged $9-$10 a POUND...geez us man...i laughed at them each time they tried to sell me some... i always told them..if i cant get fresh skips myself...i'll always have fresh shad to fall back on.

Good luck man, hope ya find a good supply of them without breaking the bank!!

Scott

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

There is a bait shop along the Ohio river near racine that sells frozen skips for 5 bucks a pound.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Racine is a spot that I want to hit more, I did several years ago, nice spot.

Thanks Scott, Yeah I will laugh @ $9 per pound too, plus form what I hear they are fun to catch. I'd like to just get a few freezer bags full, but not at that price!

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Oh you've never caught them before?
    MAN..talk about a blast...get with some of those Meldhal guys when the skips run....you'll load up a few bags, then keep on fishing for them for fun......like a freshwater tarpon..i wish we had them around here.
    The closest area around me is...ive caught a skipjack in Paint Creek(the creek, not the res.) while wading for smallies...my buddy Jake caught one from the Scioto river right where we flathead fish(his uncle Dave confirmed it so i believe him..lol)

Scott

6. catking

catking Banned

The place down by me that I often talked about on the old site is no longer in business. They sold it for $5 a pound....... Skipjack isn't very good in lakes around my area . Shad is the ticket in the lakes....... CATKING....... :)