Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many guys could we get to sign up for this. May be too late now to get something together but it would be awesome to put something together like they do over on archery talk. Could put teams together on a random draw. Would we be able to get OGF to give the winners shirts or something similar?

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure how they do it on ohio sportsman but on AT does are worth a certain number of points bucks are worth their score, team with most points win. I would say if we did it here archery should be worth more or bonus points over gun.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I also did it over on Ohio sportsman. They're still doing it over there but not nearly the following like it used to. I'd be down to play here. Always a fun time and helps you meet some fellow ogf members.
It's been a while but were we on the same turkey team a couple years in a row? We won and were aloud to stay together the next year and I think we won again. About then is when I stopped getting on there.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It's been a while but were we on the same turkey team a couple years in a row? We won and were aloud to stay together the next year and I think we won again. About then is when I stopped getting on there.
I believe we were on the same deer team. I don't really turkey hunt. I've never won. Been 2nd a few times. This is the first year in like ten plus I haven't done it over there.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
pretty sure the way ohio sportsman did it was each team member could enter 2 deer. antlerless were worth 5 points. antlered deer were worth 5 points plus the number of points on the rack 1in or longer so an 8pt buck would be worth 13 points

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really not much of a contest if you don't have access to private grounds
This I do not agree with. Theirs some giants to be had ok public. Just because someone is hunting private does not make it better. I have access to pretty good private and still hunt public throughout the year. I have a buddy that consistently kills big deer on public with his biggest being 160

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
This I do not agree with. Theirs some giants to be had ok public. Just because someone is hunting private does not make it better. I have access to pretty good private and still hunt public throughout the year. I have a buddy that consistently kills big deer on public with his biggest being 160
hmmm... In his original post he said that a doe would be worth so many points... If this contest involves shooting doe…well, you can only take one doe off of any and all public grounds, all year.... this would give the private guys the advantage.... And even if we are only shooting bucks in this contest… The private guys have the advantage of keeping people off their land and they have the option to never see anyone else while hunting. if you're someone who owns 150 acres of private… That is very significant. and let me be clear, I'm absolutely not whining… but if you want to make this a fair contest… Make the entire thing public only. That levels the playing field .

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmm... In his original post he said that a doe would be worth so many points... If this contest involves shooting doe…well, you can only take one doe off of any and all public grounds, all year.... this would give the private guys the advantage.... And even if we are only shooting bucks in this contest… The private guys have the advantage of keeping people off their land and they have the option to never see anyone else while hunting. if you're someone who owns 150 acres of private… That is very significant. and let me be clear, I'm absolutely not whining… but if you want to make this a fair contest… Make the entire thing public only. That levels the playing field .
Any one can gain access to some sort of private ground. Yes you may have to drive yes you will have to put in the miles driving and knock on many many doors. But it is out there to be had. Just like anything else in life you do not have to participate if you would prefer not to. To force someone to not enter because they hunt private would be a **** move. Just because you may not have access to private for whatever reasons doesn't mean the next guy is going to be left behind. That would be like saying that someone with a 10 inch graph cant enter a bass tournament because everyone else has a 7" graph.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Any one can gain access to some sort of private ground. Yes you may have to drive yes you will have to put in the miles driving and knock on many many doors. But it is out there to be had. Just like anything else in life you do not have to participate if you would prefer not to. To force someone to not enter because they hunt private would be a **** move. Just because you may not have access to private for whatever reasons doesn't mean the next guy is going to be left behind. That would be like saying that someone with a 10 inch graph cant enter a bass tournament because everyone else has a 7" graph.
no... Now you're comparing the equipment being used… If you don't think there's a gigantic difference between hunting private and hunting public… I don't know what to tell you… Yes I do know that there are big bucks on public land… But there's an undeniable advantage to hunting private over public.
and how do you make a statement like "everyone has some sort of access to private "?? they don't.

·
Bud n Burgers
2,632 Posts
I would like to know one reason why not everyone has access to some private land to hunt.
I have access to private land to hunt, my land, and that's it and If I did not own huntable land I would have no other private land opportunities. I would say that the majority of the folks that I know in Ohio that hunt do NOT have any access to private hunting land. Maybe folks that live in very rural communities don't realize this, but it is true.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts