Officially On The Ice!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by mrphish42, Dec 5, 2008.

1. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

I usually take these early season excersions by myself......but age has taught be to be a little more cautious....So I called bassmastermjb (MARK) this morning and asked him if he wanted to join me on a scouting trip....to put things in perspective alignment for our being....THAT BEING, JUST HOW WAS THE ICE COVERING ON MOGADORE. He said he was glad to get out of the house and "lets go"..... We first hit the Palm Rd. area (very back of Mog.) I carefully eased my way out and augered the first test hole. It checked out at over 3 1/2 in. and a couple more checked out at under 3 in. Good hard ice.. We then left and went down to CLR.....and cut a couple more test holes at the boat ramp (EAST SIDE OF THE ROAD)with the big parking lot....These holes produced a thickness between 2 to 2 1/2 in.....These holes were where we decided to give a quick try, since I just happened to bring along rods and bait........Fished just shy of a half hour and with out any luck...BUT......YOU COULDN'T FIND TWO HAPPIER GUY'S.........Just to be on that ice for the first time again, since last season.......WOW!!!!!! To drop that jig into that round hole drilled in that shimmering ICE.....Bites or no bites .....just being there was what it was all about......NOW FOR THE DOWN SIDE. IT'S NOT SAFE ENOUGH TO JUST GO OUT THERE AND START RUNNING AROUND....HELTER/ SKELTER.....THE ICE HAS TWO MANY VARIABLE THICKNESSES RIGHT NOW....PLUS THERE ARE SCATTERED OPEN WATER POCKETS AT DIFFERENT LOCATIONS......OUR RECOMMENDATION IS TO GIVE IT ANOTHER FEW DAYS...AND WITH THE PROJECTED TEMPS HEADED OUR WAY .......IT'S SO CLOSE YOU CAN TASTE IT......THATS WHY WE DECIDED TO POST THIS....THATS THE STORY GUY'S......AND WERE STICKIN TO IT......MARK AND JON SR.

2. Jon Sr. Thanks for the posted update. I would have let Mark walk out on the ice ahead of you! . His "tackle box" is a little larger than yours!

It looks like Monday will be the first day to drown some maggots out there., although I expect to find some "adventurous guys" testing it out over weekend.

3. I may go check Sunday... won't be long!

Thanks for the report!

4. mrphish42

BD...(Carl)......Telling you guy. I Felt those toes of yours "TAPPIN" real hard these last few days.......IT REALLY DOES WORK.....I'm a beliver.....Jon Sr.

5. mrphish42

IBJOHN.....As usual, the old guy got to be the "GOAT"......but thats OK...I see it as protecting a future generation of diehard ice fishermen(that are somewhat touched in the head) and some day it will be MARKS turn, to pass that deed along to someone younger that him....MAN....He loves to ice fish as much as I do........and is super funny to just be around.......and thats what we need more of today......in these troubled times.... PS. Your right about there being some adventurous people there over the weekend.....I JUST HOPE THEY USE EXTREME CAUTION..........Jon Sr.

6. i got darin like that about three years ago and started drillin off palm rd on first ice. had almost 3 in. i fished a lil caught a few and on my way back in made it almost all the way to shore before i went through to my waist. glad i had the ice picks to pull my self out. haven't done that since. If you boys (Mark and Jon Sr) are gonna be out next weekend i will be more than happy to join ya.

7. mrphish42

Powerstrokin73......I'll send ya......a PM. as usual.....Ice is only going to get better......PS. On our way there, we passed your lake and it was wide open and wind swept.......with only a tiny bit of shoreline ice covering.....I'll be in touch........Jon Sr.

8. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

I'm going to wait till Monday before I feel comfortable enough to be out there........Mark

9. i meant next weekend sorry, i won't have time till then. that lake will probably freeze good once the wind stops i think the water temp is low enough that one good night will seal it up good, hopefully. talk to ya soon guys

10. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

First ice is the best! Years ago I used to live near LaGrange Indiana and there was several lakes with lots of small channels. The fish would load up in these channels in 4'-6' of water at first ice. We used to push a 4'x8' sheet of plywood onto the ice and fish off that to distribute our weight. No problem on 2"-2 1/2" of ice. That only works if your fishing 20' or so from shore. Any further and trying to manuver yourself and the plywood on thin ice was a logistical nightmare. Lots of good early fishin though.

11. will drill a few holes at the club saturday and check the ice...had 1''+ last week and likely has gained...we shall see...drug my feet and only have gulp maggots and crappie bites...hope they arent beeing picky!! better charge the auger drill!!:) :)

12. mrphish, first off I am jealous as all get out right now!!! How was the ice looking, was it the good clear stuff or some sort of blend. Just curious, guys we are so close and to be this early is fantastic!!

13. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

"Jon Sr. I would have let Mark walk out on the ice ahead of you! His "tackle box" is a little larger than yours! "

Icebucket, I resent that remark!!! Just remember where I have lived the past 20+ years.I know all the "SECRET HOTSPOTS" :) ............Mark

14. It was darn cold last night....

IT'S LOOKIN' GOOD

... Just be careful out there!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  15. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

wow mrphish, im shocked that you guys found that much ice. thanks for the report! im sure you guys had quite a thrill walking on water again.

i went back to that small pond i walked on last week and it had almost 1" of ice.

its on now. forecast continues to look good.

you guys ice fished on Dec. 5th, 2008. thats the earliest ive ever heard of. one for the records.

16. mrphish42

To each and everyone of you guys that add so much to this site....The THANKS IS TO YOU....NEXT!!!!!!!!!TO ANYONE WITH PLANS TO GO OUT AND EXPLORE THIS WEEKEND......FOLLOW ICEBUCKETJOHN'S BOLD PRINT.....AND BE EVER SO "CAUTIOUS" AS YOU BEGIN THIS NEW ICE FISHING SEASON.....YOU GUYS THAT HAVE READ MY POSTINGS KNOW THAT I'VE BEEN AT THIS OVER 50 YEARS........."THE BIGGEST THING I EVER LEARNED IS. THERE IS NO FISH, WORTH YOUR LIFE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS WILL BE A TOUGH WEEK FOR MOST OF YOU.....WANTING TO GET OUT THERE.....BUT AFTER LAST NIGHT........IT'S TRICKY NOW, MORE THAN EVER......THERE WILL BE AREAS THAT WERE OPEN WATER YESTERDAY(LARGE AMOUNTS OF WATER FOWL CONCENTRATED IN PLACES AND THAT CAN MAKE PLACES STAY OPEN LONGER) AND THEY WILL SOMETIMES ICE OVER IN ONE NIGHT....AND JUST THE GENERAL OVERALL CONDITION OF UNEQUAL THICKINESS SHOULD PUT EVERYONE ON HIGH ALERT......AS USUAL......I WRITE WAY MORE THAN I INTEND TOO.......BUT IT'S HARD TO PUT CERTAIN VERY IMPORTANT FACTS IN TO A COUPLE SENTENCES............NEXT WEEKEND SHOULD BE THE REAL BEGINING OF THE SEASON, IF TEMPS HOLD TRUE AND WE DON'T GET ALOT OF SNOW......"BUT HERE'S THE KICKER".......THIS WILL STILL APPLY ONLY TO LAKES THAT NOW HAVE HAD SOME PREVIOUS ICE COVER AND THE BIGGER WATER LAKES WILL THEN BECOME THE AREAS OF SERIOUS CONCERN FOR SAFETY........!!!!!!!!!!!!GUY'S..........PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY......WE DON'T WANT TO LOOSE ANYONE OF YOU.........GREAT FISHING TO YOU AND REALLY THINK OUT WHAT/WHERE/ AND HOW SAFE YOUR GOING TO BE.....JON SR. IN THIS SPORT......ONE WRONG STEP...QUICKLY CAN BECOME YOUR LAST.

17. They on the ice up at Indian Lake as of yesterday

18. Any idea of how much ice is on it? I know there are a lot of Brave Souls that fish IL.

19. .....Guys pay attention to what ...mrphish42 is saying...this ice is just getting started...a lot of unsafe ice out there...Looks good ..chances are it's not....Someone is going to get a wet A__-__ if not worse.......C.L....:C

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  20. Buckeye Mike, I can't hardly imagine more than 2" 2-1/2" maybe