close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Off to a bad start.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sevenx, Jun 24, 2007.

1. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

My fishing this spring has been one debacle after a another. My first trips out were a comical mess. I then missed some 6 days of fishing do to alarm clock problems and over sleeping. My time is limited to the pre dawn hours and early mornings. The one day I managed to get to the river I never even strung up the rod do to events that took place on the river that morning. Lets just say I spent 5 1/2 hours working with the police and fire and leave it at that. So my trials and tribulations continue. I don't want to sound like I am feeling sorry for my self but I am really off to bad start for the season. I have managed one good day of fishing in the midst of the caos. That is what keeps me wanting to get back to the river. It just seems there is some greater force at work here that is working to keep me from getting out there and catching some fish. or just getting out there period. I love nothing more that being on the water and fishing and I am begining to feel as though I am being held from the river for some reason unknown to me. So am I crazy paranoid or just going through one of those times when the stars just don't line up. Once again as I sit in my shop I think to myself what are you bitchin about.
    Just wondering if anyone else is out there going thru this same scenario. I hope to get out on the water next week and perhaps my luck will change.
    Thanks to all of the guys for keeping posted on the current fishing conditions and for coming into the shop to chat about there days on the water at least I can live vacariously through you. Thanks for reading this and posting any stories or comments you may have. S

2. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Keep the faith brother... just remember at any given time it only takes one bite to change the whole year. You may go less this year - may have more on the water problems, etc etc... but just think at any time that one cast you do manage to find time for, could be the catch of a lifetime - thats what keeps me going!

3. 7X -

Keep plugging away. I know how it feels. I have friends that call me "Bad-Luck Schleprock"....sometimes I believe that my motto is "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all....", but once you get that one GOOD DAY...the others are nothing but a distant memory.

4. sevenx

Thanks guys I guess its time to put that positive attitude back into play and quit whinning. S

5. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

We all have our bad stretches...fishing...life...whatever. It's hard sometimes to see the end but it will come.

6. Last weekend, I got up way earlier than I normally would on a Saturday and an drove hour and a half to a place I've been having dreams about fishing at since last summer. I used to go there when I was younger and hadn't been to the area for at leat 10 years. Well, a 14 year old kid doesn't exactly pay attention to where the car he's is in is going, but me, being an idiot, didn't take a map or directions. I decided to go based on my memory.

So, I spent about an hour and a half weaving through back roads with only a vague idea of where I was going and looking for an orange bridge that I remembered crossing on the way there. I was getting really angry at myself by the timeI finally found it, got into my wading gear, and hurried down the abandoned train tracks to the spot I used to start fishing at.

Well, about 100 yards down the track, I saw an official looking sign in a little wooden box on a post with a piece of plexiglass over it. I decided to read it. Apparently this Mecca of fishing that I had remembered from my childhood had been turned into a wildlife sanctuary since I had been there last.

So there I was, trespassing. Not only trespassing, but holding a fishing pole and carrying a big tackle box. In a game sanctuary. I'm not ashamed to say that I literally ran back to my truck before I got busted. I didn't feel like going to jail. When I got back to the truck I saw another sign that said it was a game sanctuary, but I had been in such a hurry on the way in that I didn't see it.

Another thing, last fall I was on my way to go fishing at a friend's house. Some lady pulled right out in front of me. I couldn't stop and T-boned her, totaling my car. No one was hurt, I got rid of that p.o.s. car that I hated, and a nice insurance check to put toward a new truck came in the mail shortly after. Oh, and I was supposed to take my canoe that day, but I was in a hurry to leave and forgot to load it up. I'm glad I did!

The best part of that was watching the lady I hit freak out and try to punch the tow truck driver and get arrested. Then her ENTIRE family showed up and started screaming. Not saying anything, just screaming. There were at least seven people there. Someone even brought a baby. It was like being live on location of the filming of COPS, or at least one of those moments that's so crazy it feels like you're watching your life on tv.

These things happen to everyone. You just have to be able to laugh at it or you'll lose yer mind.

7. sevenx

Saw Player, I can fully relate to your story, After having both arms in casts at the same time, one from a planned surgury and the other from an uplanned break in the hand, 1 week later totalling my car in much the same way 16 year old girl turned left right in front of me and I could not do anything to stop it, neither of us were hurt just some bumps and brusies. All while trying to do my build out on the new store. In the end it all turned out great so I guess the old saying "everything happens for a reason" is based on the truth of life. Thanks for sharing the stories guys now I can get out and fish knowing its not just me and be confident that my days on the water can only get better. Good fishing to all. S