Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not from Columbus but I got to OSU and not to familiar with this area.. Any one give me some spots where i can head out to after class... I tried out Griggs but i dont like the flow... maybe some place where i can use some slow-gos or some plastics? Please i need help.. im sick of driving home two hours to fish on the weekends...

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
I'm not from Columbus but I got to OSU and not to familiar with this area.. Any one give me some spots where i can head out to after class... I tried out Griggs but idont like the flow... maybe some place where i can use some slow-gos or some plastics? Please i need help.. im sick of driving home two hours to fish on the weekends...

Griggs can be a ball when the water is going, if you can jig like a pro :D: it's all about dropping into/coming out of the numerous holes below the dam...Once you learn the rivers bathymetric layout it's a ball ;). Most people fish it once, only to never return..Hey, works for me! :D

That being said Slow-go's and other finess/unweighted softplastics don't work to well untill the river gets to summer pool (about 50-150FPS) which won't be for some time. I would try antrim, or the Olentangy, both of which hold good populations of LM. In addition you also can forget the "threat" of current, for the most part.

IMO most of you OSU guys go looking WAAAAYY to far for fish....A couple buddies of mine have shocked the OSU pool (Ackermann-5th ave). Each time out they managed monster (5lb+) Smallmouth and Largemouth (As I recall one of the LM went 8lbs) and 10lb Channels.... Also keep in mind that Saugeye (up to 10lbs) will hold below the lowhead dam @ 5th. Next time out try canvassing/targeting the OSU pool for structure..you might be suprised to find it holds :B ;)

A couple more tips: an old timer once told me about a pipe by the "power plant" that holds big LM and Catfish...Never could figure out what he was talking about. If you can figure out where the "power plant" is I would start there. And don't be afriad to "rough it"..I.E. "go where no man has gone before". Don't just walk the bike path, try wrestling with the brush to in order to cast. I know it sounds crazy, but try starting on the west side @ 5th and work your way up north..NO ONE hits that side...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts