close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

odnr

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by usc14, Mar 12, 2005.

1. odnr sux. they mismanage our funds and we get prison raped while they get rich. our boat ramps become fewer and fewer and rundown while ritchie rich buys his waterfront condo with a boat dock attached. thanks mr spitzer in lorain for swiping up some prime waterfront for a song and a dance and you rape lorain like the hooker she is. now the parking fee in the state parks. im sure all the ramps will be open all year long. NOT, these ripoff lazy slackers close off most off the state parks and wildlife areas so we have limited use. im sure us duck hunters will have plowed boat ramps when it snows this next duck season, NOT.as for the so called wildlife bookworm biologists that cant reintroduce a pheasant back in ohio but can sure bring back the coyote. overpaid wannabees. out with the sounds good on paper bookworms. where are the grouse? can they manage a deer herd? why the sharpshooters? oh johnny yuppie has the deer eating all his flowers so he complains. then he protests the sharpshooters. just like the yuppie tough guy golfer who gets some goose dung on his dockers. he was anti hunting till that goose crapped all over his greens. taft? what a loser geek. was he homeschooled. he looks inbred to me. what a sheister he turned out to be. only thing worse than lawbreakers are lawmakers. oh yeah, the nra, ducks unlimited? what another ripoff. gimmie gimmie gimmie. nra scares you guys they will ban hunting, send us your money. stop being so gullible. game wardens? overpaid metermaids. get a real job. you want to catch some poaching? quit the 9to5 and work some nightshifts. oh you cant, cuz you have to coach soccer. you guys suck. yeah you had a good bust, you checked a duck hunters 74 shotgun shells and found 1 leadshot. you are indispensible. try it somewhere else im not buying it. this is like( the emporers new clothes) revisited. you guys should read this book sometime. im sure your 7 yr olds could explain it to you. if they think were happy they win. the noisy wheel gets the grease yadda yadda yadda. oh heres $25 to park my kids didnt need new fishing poles this year.

2. Amen,usc. Some get it, some don't.

3. I Fully But Resectfully Disagree, But Won't Stoop To Your Level To Do It.

4. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

USC that's a good letter. Why don't you forward it to the ODNR and see what kind of excuses they come up with this time. Forward it to that idiot Taft also.

5. I'm with exexec on this one...
    There are ways to show your views without lowering the level of discussion...
    I think you are venting but wrong in more then a couple areas...
    The ODNR is a well greased machine that looks out for our best interest day in and day out and I for one applaud their efforts [​IMG]

Ohio is not unique but it is also one of the states where politicians approve agency changes thus taking same out of the hands of DNR personal on decisions that can be made without all the political mish mash...
    They have tried pheasant but without the funds to pay farmers to leave areas to grow over and become nesting grounds they will never make it in this state...
    They have started more then several grouse habitat areas around the state and the ones I have went to have made a diff in those areas...
    Coyote have made their comeback on their own which shows that we do have a good population of smallgame namely rabbit, to sustain their current levels...
    Sharpshooters are only used in areas that do not allow hunting of any kind... and the ODNR has no control over them or that situation only local cities do...
    The rest of your post is more ranting and raving [​IMG]
    and I'll let it go at that [​IMG]

I know you mean well and maybe you just need to tone down your message to be more readable and clearer with maybe some examples of what to do about IT<--- that upsets you so much...

6. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Usc14,

Whaler has a great suggestion for you, send a copy to the ODNR. I'm sure they will really pay attention and respond to a letter like that. :rolleyes:

You obviously have great conviction for your opinions, It's a shame that you can't convey them in a manner, or support them with facts, that would lend them any credibility.

To each his own.

Kim

7. catking

catking Banned

Sometimes you have to pick which fight to fight. If you make a false statement on the subject in which you choose to do battle, then the whole battle is lost. Case in point is the Coyote . Never was this animal re-introduced by the ODNR . With any organization , there is good and bad. In MY opinion , the ODNR does FAR more to the good than towards the bad . We just happen to live in a very populous state , with big bodies of water to the north and to the south. Hard to manage sometimes. Just remember , as it was duely pointed out, the ODNR's hands are tied when it comes to decissions in this vast state, more than what some want to admit... CATKING

8. I’m not happy with many policies of the ODNR. In particular, I believe that they need to have more stringent polices with regard to smallmouth bass and flathead catfish. I hate that they seem to spend such a high percentage of their resources on food fish rather than the native game fish.

However, I blame the policies NOT the people. I have a great deal of respect for the individual game wardens. All that I have met seemed to be very dedicated individuals.

Incoherent or uneducated ramblings, and childish name-calling will ensure that sportsmen will NEVER be taken seriously by the ODNR. No Amen here, you are part of the PROBLEM not the SOLUTION.

9. I personally feel the ODNR does a pretty good overall job in all respects. If you find so much is wrong with the state of the wildlife situation in Ohio, why not take your activities to a bordering state this year and report back on how the other DNR's accomplishments compare with those in our state. Maybe you should consider another form of recreation like golf or tennis, where you can be in total control of that which surrounds you.

10. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Well I'm glad he got that off his chest. :D
    As for the coyotes pick up a hunting licences and go kill some
    and you might see the grouse and everything else come back
    to '' the good ol day'' numbers.
    Like I always say if you don't like it here, move.

11. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

You've never played golf have you shortdrift?

12. Character Zero

Character Zero Smallie Phan

USC, how do you really feel..... quit hunting and move away to some remote area only available by helicopter....then you can dictate who enters and be your own governor....I happen to know a few DNR guys, they are only doing what they are told to do.. so agree, some dont.....pay the 25 bucks, its like not buying 2 cases of beer for the summer......

13. Here is my three cents worth.

I do not have a problem with the fee if it is truly going to help the O.D.N.R. I just have not seen how it is to help yet. With that said here is the rest of my 3cents.
    Stop blaming the O.D.N.R.. The politicians are not going to listen to them in a year were the budget is so tight.
    I spent last Wednesday in the state house talking to our elected officials about another budget matter. I learned from that day that the only thing that makes a politician nervous is us, THE VOTER.
    I do not believe that it is to late to change what some believe to be a forgone conclusion. 1st write or email every one of our representatives about this matter. 2nd Write a letter and have it signed by everyone that we can. 3rd Make appointments with representatives to set down and give them our concerns.
    Here is something that I have always wondered about. Why is it that our hunting and fishing license fees are the number one source of income for the O.D.N.R.? The problem I find in that is people that don’t pay for either get to enjoy what we pay for. Maybe the approach that needs to be taken is that if you purchase a license then you do not have to pay the parking fee.
    I have sent this idea to every representative my email. I did write it a little better. First impression is everything.

14. Great advice man...

15. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Just a quick question............the $$ generated won't be spent on the DNR. It will be spent on the state parks, a totally different division. Right?

16. USC have you ever met a odnr officer? I have met a few and all were the nicest people one could meet. As far as the odnr being clueless. You must be right ohio only has the best walleye and smally fishing in the country. And the deer herd never has produced any record book bucks.

Scott

17. traphunter

traphunter Guest

usc, you made some good points, I especially agree on the game warden and sharpshooter part. thanks for voicing your opinion on them because I share you veiws

18. Yep! Played pasture pool for 10 years and was always in control, even when I had to climb a tree to retrieve a club, that I carefully placed there. :p :D
    Took up fishing as I found it much more pleasant to dive for my tackle after losing a large fish. I'm getting much better at my control now as I usually manage to control all the pieces of the rod in the bottom of the boat. :rolleyes:

19. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I had received a PM from a member here asking a question, and I thought I would post the answer here as well as pm him.

I think the bill states 100% of the $5 daily funds collected in the state parks will go to the state park that it was collected in. The $25 yearly permits purchased will be split evenly across all of Ohio's state parks.

The thing the people need to realize is the Division of Wildlife and the Division of Parks are 2 different groups of people. The state parks are not run by the Division of Wildlife. They are run by the State Parks Division, a totally different division inside of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. The $$ collected will not improve hunting or fishing, allow for stockings, breeding programs, etc. The $$ collected will be used for state park expendatures (upkeep, ramp repairs, picnick shelters, salaries, manpower, etc. etc. etc.).

What I don't like is the whole issue of who is going to sell the $5 parking passes for daily visitors at the park? Are they going to hire people to sit in booths to collect the $$ on a daily basis? There's a lot of questions unanswered.

**UPDATE**....answereed my own question with the FAQ's:

Annual passes will be available for purchase at most Ohio State offices, campgrounds and lodges, at selected retail locations within individual parks, online, or by calling 1-866-OHIOPARKS (1-866-644-6727), later this spring after the proposed rule becomes effective.

I've tried to keep my mouth shut in the open forum on this subject, as you have seen. Some people take the attitude of "Pay the $25.....if you are that broke, then I'll send it to you". Well........I CAN afford the $25....but that doesn't mean I want to pay it, or it's morally right to pay it. Let me put it into a little different perspective.

Say your local school is putting a 5 mil levee up on a ballot 2 years ago. They claim that it will only raise taxes $15 / 100,000 value of the home per year. Ok.....fine. That's cheap enough. So the people vote the levee in.

The next year, they want another 5 mil levee for operating expenses. Why? Because the $$ they collected led to higher spending, raises, etc. etc. etc. Now they are broke again even though they have more $$ coming in than they did 2 years ago. So again, it's $15 / 100,000 value of your home per year. People say "cheap enough" and vote it in. Well, guess what? More money = higher spending = another levee the following year, etc. etc. etc.

What's my point? Reguardless of how cheap it is, or if you can or can't afford it.....always paying for something isn't always the way to go unless there is a steady shift of reform taking place within the system. When things aren't being funded properly, or the state overspends over and over, the first thing you see is "go to the public......they will pay for it". The "need" for this money stemmed from the state cutting somewhere in the vicinity of 50% of the funding to State Parks. Ok........so now we fork over the cash to make up for it. What if those funds are mismanaged? What if the state decided to cut funding another 25% or even 50% to make them 100% dependable on themselves? Guess what........now your paying $50 for a parking pass. It's all a big cycle. Once it starts, there's no end.

It's not an issue of if you can afford it or not......it boils down to the issue of paying for representation. The Division of Parks and the Division of Wildlife can only operate with what the State sends to them. Do I support the DOP? Sure. Do I support the DNR? Sure. Do I feel we are being represented on a fair basis within the state budget? No. Those are my opinions though, and I will not and don't push them on anyone.

20. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

To clear up some misinformed info. that is floating around, here are the FAQ's from the ODNR website:

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to Questions about the
    Proposed Parking Pass for Ohio State Parks

Beginning May 1, 2005, visitors to Ohio State Parks will be asked to display a Parks Pride Pass on any motorized vehicle within a state park. These parking passes will cost $5 per vehicle on a daily basis.

As an economical alternative, an annual parking pass – valid for unlimited visits over a 12-month period – may be purchased for $25. Non-resident visitors will pay $6 for a daily pass and $30 for an annual pass. A Parks Pride Pass may be used in any Ohio State Park.

Annual passes will be available for purchase at most Ohio State offices, campgrounds and lodges, at selected retail locations within individual parks, online, or by calling 1-866-OHIOPARKS (1-866-644-6727), later this spring after the proposed rule becomes effective.

Daily passes will be available at any park, at any time.

DAILY PASS
    per motor vehicle
    $5 resident
    $6 non-resident
    $4 Golden Buckeye
    ANNUAL PASS
    per motor vehicle
    $25 resident*
    $30 non-resident
    $20 Golden Buckeye
    *a second annual pass for residents costs $20
    Q: Why are Ohio State Parks instituting a parking pass?

A: Through their state taxes, Ohioans provide barely one-half of the annual operating budget needed to keep Ohio State Parks open, operating and well maintained (the rest of that budget comes from campground rentals, dock fees and similar special-use fees).

But shortfalls in the state budget over the past several years have reduced tax funding available to support and maintain our parks, as the state’s resources have been focused on other pressing needs, including education and health care.

This has created a severe budget squeeze on Ohio State Parks, challenges that park managers have addressed by cutting back on park maintenance and visitor services, closing some campgrounds, and all-around belt-tightening in park operations. Most dramatically, these budget challenges since 2000 have resulted in a 22 percent reduction in full-time staff in Ohio State Parks.

A parking pass is an effective, yet fair and affordable way for Ohioans who use and enjoy our state parks to help fill the budget gap.

Q: What will a parking pass cost?

A: For each motor vehicle, a park visitor will pay $5 for a daily parking pass, good for a single day at one or more parks. There is no additional per-person charge for vehicle occupants, nor are passes required for pedestrians, bicyclists and others who do not bring a motorized vehicle to a park.

Most park users will find it more convenient – and a better bargain – to purchase an annual pass, good for unlimited visits in any Ohio State Park over a 12-month period. Annual passes cost $25 and a second annual pass costs $20 (a $5 discount). Non-resident visitors will pay $6 for a daily pass and $30 for an annual pass (no discount for a second annual pass).

Ohioans who hold a Golden Buckeye Card (based on age or disability) receive a discount: $4 for a daily pass and $20 for an annual pass.

Q: When will the new parking pass take effect?

A: Beginning May 1, 2005 visitors to any Ohio State Park will be asked to display a daily or annual Parks Pride Pass in a visible location inside the windshield of any motorized vehicle within a state park.

Q: Aren't proceeds for the sale of hunting and fishing licenses and boating permits benefitting Ohio State Parks?

No, Ohio law requires that proceeds from the sale of state hunting and fishing licenses can only benefit fish and wildlife programs in the state. Proceeds from the sale of watercraft permits can only benefit recreational boating programs. None of these monies are used for Ohio State Parks maintenance.

Q: How can parking fees be implemented without being specifically voted on by state legislators?

A: Legislators have already given Ohio State Parks the authority to set parking fees through the rule-making process. That process requires a public hearing and review by a joint committee of the Ohio House and Senate. No additional legislation is necessary

Q: Where do I get my parking pass and how does that process work?

A: During the peak season at most state parks, staff will be available to sell passes on site. At all times, however, daily passes will be available to visitors on an honor-system basis at conveniently placed locations at each state park. These will most often be self-service pay stations adjacent to parking areas, where the visitor will remove an envelope with a daily parking pass sticker attached.

The sticker will be detached, dated and placed by the visitor so it is visible on inside of the vehicle’s windshield. The visitor will place the appropriate payment into the envelope, seal it and deposit it in the pay station’s secure lockbox. Larger parks may eventually have staffed kiosks where daily and annual passes will be available for purchase.

Q: How can I obtain an annual pass?

A: Annual parking passes (valid for 12 months from date of purchase) may be obtained for $25 for resident visitors and $30 for non-resident visitors at state park offices (open for limited business hours), at vendor locations such as lodges and other park facilities.

Because annual passes will not be available on a self-service basis or always available at all parks at all days and times, visitors are strongly encouraged to obtain an annual pass before coming to a park.

Annual passes will be available for purchase online or by calling 1-866-OHIOPARKS (1-866-644-6727).

Q: What happens if a visitor’s motor vehicle does not have a parking pass displayed?

A: Vehicles found without a valid parking pass may be subject to a citation. In most cases, park officers will issue warnings to those individuals found without a valid parking pass on their motor vehicle and visitors will be given an opportunity to pay for the pass without being penalized.

Q: Where does the money go?

A: The majority of revenue generated from the parking pass will support the individual park where the pass was purchased as well as the Ohio State Parks system as a whole. Revenues will support maintaining the level of service and facility upkeep that Ohioans have come to expect from their state parks. The money generated will not support capital improvements, but rather operating expenditures.

Q: If I’m visiting a state park lodge, renting a campground site or staying in a cottage, do I also have to obtain a parking pass?

A: Yes, parking passes must be displayed on the motor vehicles of all park users, including those visiting a state park lodge, cottage or campground over night. If visitors are staying multiple nights, only one one-day pass needs to be purchased.

There is an exception, however, for individuals using certain park facilities for the day only. There will be designated “free” parking areas for individuals using a resort lodge or dining lodge for the day.

Q: Can a lost pass be replaced?

A: Daily and annual parking passes cannot be replaced; a new pass will need to be purchased.

Q: What about the Golden Buckeye Card?

A: Ohioans past the age of 60 or those with a Medicaid-certified disability who hold a Golden Buckeye Card may obtain a daily pass at $4 each and an annual parking pass at $20.

Q: What if my family has more than one vehicle?

A: If a family or group brings more than one vehicle to a park at one time, a valid parking pass is required for each motor vehicle. When purchasing an annual parking pass, an Ohio resident will receive a $5 discount off the price of one additional annual parking pass purchased at the same time.

If only one of a family’s vehicles is used for each park visit, the annual pass may be transferred from one vehicle to another, as needed.

Q: What if I drive through a state park on a public highway?

A: Each park will have clearly marked, designated areas – including internal roads and parking lots – where parking passes must be displayed. However, some parks are crossed by public highways or by other roads leading to private properties. Such places do not lie within the designated areas and no parking pass is needed.

Q: Must a parking pass be displayed at other ODNR recreational facilities, such as state nature preserves, forests and wildlife areas?

A: Visitors at these areas currently do not need to display a parking pass.

Q: Can a daily parking pass be used at more than one park on a single day?

A: Yes, a one-day parking pass may be used in several Ohio State Parks within the same day.

Q: Will a parking pass be needed on a vehicle that remains in a park overnight?

A: A daily parking pass is valid for the day it is issued until 3 a.m. the following day. Therefore, any motor vehicle remaining past 3 a.m., will need to have a parking pass displayed for the next day as well (either a valid annual pass or a second daily pass).

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/news/jan05/parkspass/faq.htm