Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,250 Posts
dang... quite a bit of hate for them attempting to do something good for us. for what its worth i ve had some luck on some of the state dropped trees. hope they continue to do things to improve fishing for us.
My personal best crappie came out of some state dropped trees. I’m totally glad they are at lest doing something.

But I totally understand what STD is saying about his experience as well. I can take you to lots of poorly place trees. Some exposed all winter due to draw down.

They ought to be collecting hardwood branches instead of looking for an easy way to quickly dispose of some Christmas trees that are rotted gone in :3-5 years. Then all we gots is cinderblock fields .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
fishin is fun
711 Posts
I both love and hate these trees
Lost bunches of lures etc in them
You would think Christmas trees are flimsy etc and the branches will break
Nope
Also have caught nice slabs on the deeper sides of these piles

·
Registered
696 Posts
I saw them put in at West Branch and it was done by foot and 4 wheeler. I have mentioned in the past that most piles are useless because of the depth they chose. I appreciate they're work and understand the limits of transporting and installing them. If DNR asked for our help in placing these trees, I know most of us would be happy to show up with a boat.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
There's a bunch starting to stack up at the North Pool ramp at Caesars. Surprisingly, the docks are still in at North Pool. Maybe they know something we don't, like the lake won't freeze this year. Usually, those are the first ones pulled.

·
Angry hillbilly
1,577 Posts
At Berlin they got to put them in the channels if not they are exposed in the draw downs! West branch they put them in at the gravel ramp on Knapp rd a joke ! I am trying to get a hold of Matt wolf of the dnr! They do not want the public to help probably cause law of suits! Lability ! Bottom line at the branch and Berlin it’s been a waste of time! Those lakes need deeper structure not shallow wood they have enough!!

·
Angry hillbilly
1,577 Posts
If u fish they want feed back from your experiences on those spots!!! They don’t have the man power but I think Matt said they had a boat or pontoon to drop trees off into water! Pontoon that is wide open would be the deal!! Look putting structure in sometimes is trail and error on results! Seen it with my structure deployments!!!

·
wolfenstein
439 Posts
But I totally understand what STD is saying about his experience as well. I can take you to lots of poorly place trees. Some exposed all winter due to draw down.
lol. I enjoy his posts and think he's very local but never noticed that "set-the-drag" is now " STD" LOL. Back to revelant topic.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.