Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Doesn't really matter they put them in the worse places and have seen more than half of what they put out floating away. Very haphazard operation
couldn't have said it better

·
Registered
527 Posts
The ones they put out on Berlin a few years back ended up being in 4 foot of water. Couldn't fish them at all. What a waste. Seems someone should have known better ??? Better to have them a little too deep than too shallow I would think.

·
POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,031 Posts
dang... quite a bit of hate for them attempting to do something good for us. for what its worth i ve had some luck on some of the state dropped trees. hope they continue to do things to improve fishing for us.
My personal best crappie came out of some state dropped trees. I’m totally glad they are at lest doing something.

But I totally understand what STD is saying about his experience as well. I can take you to lots of poorly place trees. Some exposed all winter due to draw down.

They ought to be collecting hardwood branches instead of looking for an easy way to quickly dispose of some Christmas trees that are rotted gone in :3-5 years. Then all we gots is cinderblock fields .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
fishin is fun
663 Posts
I both love and hate these trees
Lost bunches of lures etc in them
You would think Christmas trees are flimsy etc and the branches will break
Nope
Also have caught nice slabs on the deeper sides of these piles

·
Registered
632 Posts
I saw them put in at West Branch and it was done by foot and 4 wheeler. I have mentioned in the past that most piles are useless because of the depth they chose. I appreciate they're work and understand the limits of transporting and installing them. If DNR asked for our help in placing these trees, I know most of us would be happy to show up with a boat.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
There's a bunch starting to stack up at the North Pool ramp at Caesars. Surprisingly, the docks are still in at North Pool. Maybe they know something we don't, like the lake won't freeze this year. Usually, those are the first ones pulled.

·
Angry hillbilly
1,504 Posts
At Berlin they got to put them in the channels if not they are exposed in the draw downs! West branch they put them in at the gravel ramp on Knapp rd a joke ! I am trying to get a hold of Matt wolf of the dnr! They do not want the public to help probably cause law of suits! Lability ! Bottom line at the branch and Berlin it’s been a waste of time! Those lakes need deeper structure not shallow wood they have enough!!

·
Angry hillbilly
1,504 Posts
If u fish they want feed back from your experiences on those spots!!! They don’t have the man power but I think Matt said they had a boat or pontoon to drop trees off into water! Pontoon that is wide open would be the deal!! Look putting structure in sometimes is trail and error on results! Seen it with my structure deployments!!!

·
cast4life
296 Posts
Yeah I was at Nimisila today fishing...Seen couple different piles there at the ramp, wondered where they put them in at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Remember they aren’t putting the trees out for you in the depth of water you want to fish and hold crappie for just the specific days you want to fish.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
What am I missing here? I clicked on a vast majority of those dots and the only new ones I saw were two at WB by Knapp Road. Everything else is old.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts